Sleeping alot? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2009, 10:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Sleeping alot?

Hello, I just got a hedgehog 4 days ago. He is 8 weeks old. I named him Samson. I was just wondering if it is normal that he is sleeping a lot. He is active when I get him out to play, but it seems like everytime I put him in his cage he just goes right back to sleep.

I was also wondering how often he needs to be fed? He pretty much eats all of his food as soon as I put it in his bowl. I don't want to over feed him.

thank you.

Madison

http://i48.tinypic.com/hvure0.jpg
MadisonDuncan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2009, 10:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Sleeping alot?

Hey and welcome!

Hedgies are nocturnal, and babies will sleep a LOT. As in, up to 23 hours a day, only getting up to eat and stretch for a bit and go back to sleep. They grow out of it.

You should be feeding him as much as he will eat, every day. Just keep his bowl filled for him to eat whenever he likes.

LizardGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2009, 10:54 PM   #3 (permalink)

Ah, thank you very much. I was getting a little worried.
I also have a question about biting...he is quite the little biter. hahah
He usually licks before so at least I get a warning.
I'm not sure if he is just curious, or if he doesn't like me..

Old 12-07-2009, 11:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

If he is licking before biting, take that as a warning. Something smells good on your hands. Try washing with the same unscented soap before handling each time, to help prevent that. If he keeps biting just remove your skin from his reach.

LizardGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2009, 12:06 AM   #5 (permalink)

Congratulations on getting Samson, he is so adorable and I love his coloring Hedgies do sleep a lot so I wouldn't be worried. I free feed mine and in the mornings when I get up I dump what he doesn't eat, wash and then refill. When I first got him I counted his food before it went in the bowl, then recounted in the morning to see how much was ate. I did this for quite some time til I felt confident I had an average then I just added that much plus 25 extra pieces in case he got more hungry one night or started eatting more. This helps me not throw away as much in the morning when I wash everything.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thank you :] I love him a lot. I feed him in the morning before I leave..maybe like 15-20 pieces and then a snack when I get home and then a little again before I go to sleep. Is that too much? He usaually eats everything.

Also I'm trying to litter train him...but of course that may take awhile.
I got him a litter pan and litter called "Safe pet potty litter" it is for small animals, but I don't know if I should use it or not. any suggestions on litter, or advice on litter training?
Old 12-09-2009, 10:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

you should be leaving food in his dish all the time, if he's eating it all he needs more. Hedgehogs need to be fed free choice, meaning they should have food available all the time.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2009, 06:18 PM   #8 (permalink)

I was told to only feed the baby 2 teaspoons of dry kitty food a day. I do a little bit more. I usually put 10 pieces in when i wake up..the in the middle of the day and before i go to bed...especially when I see him waiting next to the food bowl. Also, highly encourage buying meal worms. I bought Egon large meal worms and he is now 8 weeks old. I am petrified of bugs so I use tweezers to pick them up and put them in the bowl for him. He slurps it up in seconds. Give him a worm or a treat (you can find a list on the forums-be careful to research treats well to prevent giving the baby something he will choke on)...worms and treats 2-3 times a week. You really should be feeding him worms or crickets! You can keep the worms in a fridge too...they don't move about as much when you first take them out.

Be careful not too overfeed or you will have an obese and unhealthy hedgie. =)
Old 12-10-2009, 06:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
Administrator

Hedgehogs do not over eat, they need to be free fed, they only become overweight if they don't get enough exercise or have food that is to high in fat.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2009, 11:25 PM   #10 (permalink)

Any website as well as the breeder I bought mine from told me if you feed them too much-especially insects they can become over weight. I am sure, as you said, if they are running on their wheel for hours on end at night they should be fine. I was just taking the advice of someone who has been raising hedgies for a few years.

My breeder actually brought out the father of the baby I took home and he was HUGE. He was the size of a rabbit...and very angry. They compared him to an obese hedgehog. Im just looking out for my guy. Feed as you wish, I just would not encourage to feed every time the bowl is empty. Any time I load up the bowl with some kitty food, its all gone in under 10 minutes. Kind of scary =/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in