Hedgehogs from pet stores - Page 2 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2009, 08:52 AM   #11 (permalink)

Default Re: Hedgehogs from pet stores

As Lizard stated, I am not going to breed. I would love to when I get older, but right now I am too young. I also really want to get to know hedgehogs and their habits better before breeding.

And the hedgehog was from a family-owned store, but the family does not operate it. I think Lizard is right in saying it was from a mill. It is in a large tank, most likely 2ft x 2ft x1ft But the hedgie is inside of a 15 gallon aquarium inside of the big cage. I picked it up yesterday, and it was very sweet, but it appeared to be sneezing. I don't know if this is normal when you wake them up around 3:00 PM, but it seemed very sick.

To be honest, if trips to the vet can be prevented, I would rather buy from a reputable breeder. I understand check-ups and minor illnesses, but disease such as WHS can be prevented and are something that neither my mom nor I can watch (We watched a YouTube video showing the movement issues, they are ungodly)! We can afford a vet, but paying a few hundred dollars extra to get it from a reputable breeder that has a warranty on WHS would be easier.

Another reason I want that hedgehog was stated. Yesterday, some women came over while I was handling the hedgehog, they loved him, but I knew they were impulse buyers. Why? Because they said, "Look at his coloration! He is half albino half regular! So cute!" With that sentence, I knew they were impulse buyers. As soon as I saw him, I knew he was some sort of Pinto. They did not ask questions besides how much it cost. They were impulse buyers, especially since they do not the names of any colors besides Albino. Regular is not a color. And if they did know something about hedgehogs, they would at least know that he was an African pygmy, not a "small cute hedgehog."
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2009, 01:06 PM   #12 (permalink)

If it seems sick it likely is sick. If you were to get this hedgehog the first thing you would need to do is take it to the vet and potentially get treatment, which could cost more than the entire hedgehog and set up. And then you'd be opening a spot for another hedgehog to come in and possibly get just as sick as this hedgehog. And who knows who will buy this hedgehog, or if they will even know it is sick in time to get it to the vet! You're better off waiting and getting a hedgehog from a breeder with a guarantee on it's health as well as one with good lineage.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:16 PM   #13 (permalink)

Right, as I mentioned, I didn't think you were planning on breeding.

WHS is genetic, and even lines where people don't think it's in it, sometimes it does pop up. It's hard to regulate that. This reason alone shouldn't prevent you from rescuing a hedgehog. All animals should be checked by the vet, regardless. The hedgehog probably wasn't used to your smell, which may have triggered it, it also is probably handled by strangers constantly, and thus why it was a little under the weather. But if it's free, and most pet stores have a thirty-day money back policy, it's worth the risk, imo. Impulse buyers probably wouldn't know how to care for it, and they'd probably give it a water bottle, no wheel, and feed it a bad branded hedgie food. In the end, it's inevitably up to you. I know a few breeders in my area that don't hold up to the WHS in my area; and most will want you to go through their vet. So, if you buy from a breeder that lives hours away, guess what. In order to redeem that, you have to make constant visits out of city. This isn't always the case, but on most breeder websites, it will state the process (such as a vet through THEIR choice, etc.)

It could get better, or worse. I'd look at the pet store's policy, and make a decision. If you can nurse a baby hedgie who gets handled constantly by strangers, who needs a little TLC, that would probably be enjoyable for you. I've rescued a hedgehog, and my friend has too (from insane craigslist people, which by the way, the breeders wouldn't take the hedgehog back in the first place), and it was a beautiful, life-changing process. To go from a hedgehog that popped every five seconds, to one that you can literally kiss on the cheek with no negative response, it's an accomplishment.

And if that little guy already tolerates being held, you're only 1/2 the way. :]

But yeah, vet bills can become troublesome. Sneezing doesn't always mean "Uuhg, I'm sooo sick!", so Idk.

People post stuff on craigslist all the time -- might I suggest rescuing a hedgie from there?
aesthetics is offline   Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 09:55 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesthetics
Right, as I mentioned, I didn't think you were planning on breeding.

WHS is genetic, and even lines where people don't think it's in it, sometimes it does pop up. It's hard to regulate that. This reason alone shouldn't prevent you from rescuing a hedgehog. All animals should be checked by the vet, regardless. The hedgehog probably wasn't used to your smell, which may have triggered it, it also is probably handled by strangers constantly, and thus why it was a little under the weather. But if it's free, and most pet stores have a thirty-day money back policy, it's worth the risk, imo. Impulse buyers probably wouldn't know how to care for it, and they'd probably give it a water bottle, no wheel, and feed it a bad branded hedgie food. In the end, it's inevitably up to you. I know a few breeders in my area that don't hold up to the WHS in my area; and most will want you to go through their vet. So, if you buy from a breeder that lives hours away, guess what. In order to redeem that, you have to make constant visits out of city. This isn't always the case, but on most breeder websites, it will state the process (such as a vet through THEIR choice, etc.)

It could get better, or worse. I'd look at the pet store's policy, and make a decision. If you can nurse a baby hedgie who gets handled constantly by strangers, who needs a little TLC, that would probably be enjoyable for you. I've rescued a hedgehog, and my friend has too (from insane craigslist people, which by the way, the breeders wouldn't take the hedgehog back in the first place), and it was a beautiful, life-changing process. To go from a hedgehog that popped every five seconds, to one that you can literally kiss on the cheek with no negative response, it's an accomplishment.

And if that little guy already tolerates being held, you're only 1/2 the way. :]

But yeah, vet bills can become troublesome. Sneezing doesn't always mean "Uuhg, I'm sooo sick!", so Idk.

People post stuff on craigslist all the time -- might I suggest rescuing a hedgie from there?
I looked already, and there were none. And I guess you have a point. It is better that I "rescue" it then for it to be tortured by an impulse buyer. I am going to chat this over with my mother and see what she has to say as far as vet bills go.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:04 PM   #15 (permalink)
Administrator

If you want to get the one at the pet store, just keep in mind that if it was sneezing then most likely it has a URI and will need to see a vet and require medication. The stress of going to a new home can make this worse. Make sure you know where to find a vet that will treat hedgies and knows about them before bringing it home.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2009, 03:41 AM   #16 (permalink)

i just got my hedgie Tweasal from a pet store its not a chain branch and its for exotic animals, getting one from a breeder just wasnt an option here in vegas i couldnt find anyone. The pet store knew only the basics, most of my info i got through research but he is a very healthy active(@ night) lil guy..i dont really see the problem with getting one from a pet store as long as he is healthy i think of it as rescuing the lil guy and giving him a better life than he would in a pet store, nothing against breeders but sometimes its just not a reasonable option

spritecann is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2012, 01:01 PM   #17 (permalink)

pickles came from a pet store and she is perfectly FINE! NOT ALL pet stores are bad and there are NO breeders in my area!
sarahmargaret is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2012, 02:48 PM   #18 (permalink)
Administrator

This thread is over 2 years old and doesn't need to be resurected, I'm going to lock it.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Quick reply to this message
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in