bringing baby home... - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2009, 06:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default bringing baby home...

I am driving about an hour and 45 minutes away on november 29th to get my baby hedgie

But I'm concerned. Should I get him a cat carrier or a soft plush carrier? And what should I put in it to ensure him to stay warm? He's not going to roll around in the carrier is he??!!??!? D:

I'm just so anxious and worried about bringing him home :/ I just want my baby to be safe <3
pixiedreamer is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2009, 07:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Default Re: bringing baby home...

You should have your hedgie in a hard sided cat carrier and have it seat-belted in the vehicle...put some fleece blankets in the carrier and if its cold out you can use some hand warmers or hot packs to keep him warm..just make sure they are well wrapped up too.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2009, 08:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

We got my female early July, and we just got a rather large box, and I put a fleece blanket inside. Generally, she was so nervous, and unsure what was going on, she stayed underneath the fleece. This is probably all you need, if you're not going to leave it in the car. Depending on where you live, you might want to have the heater on and stuff.
aesthetics is offline   Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2009, 08:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have this one in the blue/brown and pink. So far so good. http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... Id=2753365
Old 11-14-2009, 09:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

the problem with using a box is that if you're in an accident..or even if you have to stop fast..the box is going to go flying and your hedgie along with it. the same with that other carrier. Also if your in an accident and are hurt, unconcious etc, no one will know there was a hedgehog in the vehicle and it would probably be left behind. Emergency personnel are trained to look for conventional pet carriers, the plastic hard sided ones, and those carriers are no where near as likey to be thrown in an accident if its buckled in. You would put a human baby in a box in a car, why take the chance with your four-legged baby? its just a dangerous for them.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2009, 09:19 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks everyone I really appreciate the help I want my baby to be as safe as can be and getting help from you guys is wonderful

<3<3<3<3
Old 11-16-2009, 06:00 AM   #7 (permalink)

Well, there are roughly six million car accidents a year, with over 320 million people living in the country, only which 42,000 a year are serious, in which there were fatalities. You're talking about a 0.0119% chance.

If the distance isn't that far, and you're driving during the day, then why not? People can, and will always go on about "what if".
aesthetics is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2009, 09:51 AM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Zalea Send a message via MSN to Zalea

When it comes to a hedgehog it is better safe than sorry. Many accidents happen within 1 mile of the home, so the "isn't that far" method isn't really logical. It's better to plan for "what if" than to deal with the loss of a pet later--the old "one ounce of prevention saves a pound of heartache" deal. If you have the hedgie in a box or a soft carrier and you DO get into an accident, one that you absolutely cannot see coming like someone t-boning you at a stoplight and you can't avoid even though it's daytime, the hedgie can go flying across the car and be killed, or get out and get lost--whereas if you had them in a hardsided carrier with piles of fleece in the bottom that wouldn't be an issue. It may be a slight chance, but there is that chance. It is better to plan for the "what if" and hope it doesn't happen than to have it happen and not be prepared.

One other reason for a hard-sided carrier is that emergency personnel are trained to look for those carriers, as Nikki said. Otherwise your hedgie might be left freezing at the scene of an accident during winter, or have a heat stroke for the same reason in summer.

A hard-sided carrier runs about $15-20 at Wal-mart and will last the lifetime of your hedgie, and likely the lifespan of any future hedgies you have. A small contribution to give a beloved pet a fighting shot in the case of a "what if" does not cost that much, especially when most people spent about $200 to get their hedgehog in the first place. If you can't afford to buy a $20 carrier, how will you afford vet bills, etc in the future? Of course, can't afford and don't want to are two different things...but how could you not want to when the well-being of a treasured pet is at stake? Most of hedgehog ownership is about prevention--preventing falls, hairs around legs, diet troubles, etc. This is just one more prevention step to keep our companions safe and as healthy as possible.

It's up to you what carrier you use, but there's a reason seasoned hedgehog owners recommend hard-sided ones.

Pixiedreamer, for a 2 hour drive, you definitely need a hard-sided carrier. Any number of things could happen between there and home. Be sure not to put the heat from the vents directly onto the cage--it can become too hot--and use the handwarmers and a few layers of fleece in the carrier to keep your little guy warm and toasty. Warm the car up for a few minutes before you take him out to it, and cover the carrier with a blanket before taking it outside. It's also a good idea to get a thermometer to put in the cage to ensure it's not too hot or cold in there.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:33 AM   #9 (permalink)

Zalea, thanks I will take that all in mind. I am defiently the type to be safe than sorry :3 and I actually found a hard sided cat carrier at petsmart that's actually kitten size which is perfect for a hedgie

Thanks again for the help <3<3<3<3<3
Old 11-16-2009, 11:15 AM   #10 (permalink)

Ah, I apologize for suggesting a carrier that isn't recommended. I'm still new and thought that because mine was not soft and collapsable it would be considered hard-sided. (meaning, it wasn't a hedgie-bag or purse, it is firm on the sides and keeps its shape.) Looks like I should switch to a different carrier for in-car-use and use the pretty one for taking it from car to destination such into the vet office, friend's house, etc. I was seat-belting it in, so thought that was what mattered. Thanks for the clarification.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in