Still grumpy - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2013, 12:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Still grumpy

So I've had my hedgehog for about 5 weeks. So that makes him about 12 weeks. Everytime I want to bond with him I take his igloo off him to wake him up to go potty. I wait about 30 minutes and he just goes back to sleep. Every time I hold him he is still going potty on me. Every time. Also he is still very grumpy. Constantly hissing and quilling up. I try and bond with him everyday but getting him out of his cage is a nightmare! Help?!
ardbail is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2013, 03:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

Babies poop a lot, and sleep a lot. Just be prepared to clean it up.
Annie&Tibbers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2013, 03:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardbail View Post
So I've had my hedgehog for about 5 weeks. So that makes him about 12 weeks. Everytime I want to bond with him I take his igloo off him to wake him up to go potty. I wait about 30 minutes and he just goes back to sleep. Every time I hold him he is still going potty on me. Every time. Also he is still very grumpy. Constantly hissing and quilling up. I try and bond with him everyday but getting him out of his cage is a nightmare! Help?!
It takes some patience because some hedgehogs are completely open to being touched, picked up, etc. Others take their time. I have seen and heard it taking months before a hedgehog could warm up to you. Ours is very grumpy but he has made such an amazing progress in the last month. I know in a few months time he will be much more used to us.

You just need to slowly build trust and to bond with him. Get him used to you slowly - wrapping in a blanket while you watch a movie, do homework, etc. Let him run around a room (make sure it is safe and he can't get under beds, etc) and explore. He might pee and poop if you let him run around for 20-30mins but just clean it up and just let him explore (make sure to always watch him though).

Another way to get him to open up more and trust you is through his tummy. Find out what he might like and feed it to him occasionally - he might realize that good things come when he is played with (Don't over treat him though).

For the potty thing: he is probably scared still and in stress he relieves himself. It may be that he has to actually go or more like a stress mechanism.

I know what you are going though but just know it gets better. He will become more trusting as you show him that you care about him and you will also gain confidence. When picking him up, don't be afraid to just reach down (and scooping him underneath with both hands) confidently pick him up - animals know when you are scared and stressed.
abbys likes this.
vladtheimpaler3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 06:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

Going on week 6 and mine still wont let me pick her up without balling up (I still do anyway).

What's weird is she lets me stroke her back or nose without a ton of fuss (slight hissing).

She never bites tho. I find if I give her a bath right when I wake her up she unballs and is much more accepting of being touched
Old 10-28-2013, 11:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

Balling up as in total defense mode, or just raising quills with the head tucked?
Regardless of how long you've own a hedgie, they will always raise their quills if they are startled (waking them up in particular), but with time, they learn to relax more quickly after realizing that it's just "le human" again haha.

I find that a little bit of petting and talking will put Wonton at ease.

Also, if baths have to be involved for the bonding process, take advantage of it! Wonton hates baths, so that option doesn't work for me. Haha.

It is true that hedgies can be scared shizzless (LOL). Wonton does that with baths. Hahaha.

Great news if she doesn't bite you! Trust me, they bite pretty dang hard. ):

Soon, you will be able to pet her everywhere without protests! (: In my case, that's Wonton's snout and forehead.
LittleWontonPoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2013, 11:03 AM   #6 (permalink)

I've noticed Remi does not like baths. He poops in them everytime and he almost panics to get out. I haven't been bitten by him yet but I also don't give him the chance too. He only balls up when I pick him up and that's usually with a towel. But he quils up and tucks his head and just hisses. Once I get him out I let him smell me and I can usually pet the sides of him where his fur is. But if I touch his forehead he quils up. So I don't think he likes that
ardbail is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2013, 07:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWontonPoo View Post
Balling up as in total defense mode, or just raising quills with the head tucked?
Regardless of how long you've own a hedgie, they will always raise their quills if they are startled (waking them up in particular), but with time, they learn to relax more quickly after realizing that it's just "le human" again haha.

I find that a little bit of petting and talking will put Wonton at ease.

Also, if baths have to be involved for the bonding process, take advantage of it! Wonton hates baths, so that option doesn't work for me. Haha.

It is true that hedgies can be scared shizzless (LOL). Wonton does that with baths. Hahaha.

Great news if she doesn't bite you! Trust me, they bite pretty dang hard. ):

Soon, you will be able to pet her everywhere without protests! (: In my case, that's Wonton's snout and forehead.
She balls up in total defense when I try and pick her up. Once she's been in my hand or lap for a min she unballs tho

Do hedgies generally like having their tummy or face rubbed? She lets me do it, but she seems to tolerate me more than anything when I am.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

It really depends on the individual hedgehog and their mood on that particular day. Some days Piglet will fuss and squirm to avoid a tummy rub, but other days he'll actually roll onto his side so I have a better angle to rub his pudgy cheeks until he falls asleep.

I think it also depends on how you approach them. Pig huffs a bit if I reach over his head to touch his cheeks, but if I come from the bottom up it's like he doesn't even notice.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:32 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbys View Post
It really depends on the individual hedgehog and their mood on that particular day. Some days Piglet will fuss and squirm to avoid a tummy rub, but other days he'll actually roll onto his side so I have a better angle to rub his pudgy cheeks until he falls asleep.

I think it also depends on how you approach them. Pig huffs a bit if I reach over his head to touch his cheeks, but if I come from the bottom up it's like he doesn't even notice.

Just frustrating because even when she unballs after a while, she still stays with her head down most of the time
Old 10-30-2013, 01:59 AM   #10 (permalink)

Dakarai huffs and pops when I attempt to wake him. I've learned that moving him out of the cage in the sleep sack that he is in usually results in a better mood when he decides its time to get up - now conveniently located in my lap to allow for snuggles to take place. The last couple of nights I've pulled him out of his cage anywhere between 8pm and 10pm to make sure he's had adequate amounts of sleep.

Tonight I offered him some turkey (I made dinner this evening and shared with both my dog and the hog). He woke up long enough to take some pretty big nibbles but then decided it was time to go back to sleep and crawled right back into the sleep sack for a nap.

I don't try to push him with the affection as I know since he is a baby he will be sleeping more. One word of advice with the bonding process, going along with what powercage had suggested earlier, no matter how huffy they get - don't let that scare you into not picking up and socializing with your quilled companion. If they hiss and pop and you back off - this teaches them that all they have to do to be left alone is to act all grumpy then low and behold, the human disappears. If you keep going back in for more, I think they finally succumb and realize that human interaction may not be all that bad afterall.

Good luck.

Last edited by SiouxzieKinz; 10-30-2013 at 02:02 AM. Reason: Spellcheck needed
SiouxzieKinz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in