Hedgehog Central  Hedgehog pet care & owner forum

Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Questions (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   BEFORE you bring baby home.. (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3424)

strawberryfields 10-27-2009 08:49 PM

BEFORE you bring baby home..

I really don't mean this to offend anybody, and I hope it doesn't, but I've only been on the forums for a few weeks and I feel like I have seen too much of this problem already. I'm sure it has been said many times, but somehow people are getting hedghogs without this bit of information first..

There are a lot of posts on the different boards where the poster mentions a problem with their hedgie, such as an upset tummy, not eating, injuries from the wheel, etc. Very often, it is discovered that the original poster is feeding a very BAD kind of food, or has a BAD wheel, or the WRONG kind of bedding, or is in an INAPPROPRIATE cage, or at too LOW of a temperature, and when other members encourage them to seek out a healthier brand of food or better more suitable accessories for a hedgehog, these are the responses:

"Well the better quality food is a lot more expensive.."
"It's hard to get that kind of wheel in my country/state/province.."
"I don't have time to go shopping.."
"It's too difficult to keep the whole house warm enough and I can't afford a space heater.."
"You can't have that kind of cage shipped to where I live.."

:shock:

These are things that must be considered BEFORE GETTING A HEDGEHOG! Before one even considers adopting a hedgehog and bringing it home, you should make absolute certain that you are able to provide
-a good quality cage that is appropriate for hedgehogs
-PLENTY of high-quality recommended cat food
-a suitable wheel
-a comfortable temperature.
-veterinary care with someone experienced in hedgehogs

It is CRUCIAL to the poor hedgehog's health, and it is NOT okay to "compromise" the quality of a hedgie's bedding, wheel, food, or home just because it isn't available in your area or because it's too expensive. If that is the case, then a hedgehog is not the pet for you. :cry:

EDIT: This was mentioned and also needs to be addressed. Before you get a hedgehog you must acknowledge that you will probably need to take him or her to the vet one day, and taking an exotic to the vet can be expensive. Plus, not all vets can treat hedgehogs, not even all exotic vets, so it is imperative that you are sure of one before bringing the hedgie home! There is a list right here on Hedgehog Central, so the situation should never arise when someone is frantically calling around to different vets while their hedgie is sick or injured.

I really don't want to make anyone upset, but it is horrible to sacrifice your pet's health and happiness because you weren't able to prepare for them and can't provide the kind of environment a hedgehog NEEDS for a long and healthy life. If you can't get your hands on the right supplies that are needed to own a hedgehog, you need to look into rehoming the poor baby immediately. :|

LarryT 10-27-2009 09:15 PM

Re: BEFORE you bring baby home..

Spoken like a true champion :)

Nancy 10-27-2009 09:36 PM

Great post and so true! :D

I especially love the ones that say they did months of research yet have no clue.

Hedgiepets 10-27-2009 09:54 PM

The problem with some is they got their "advice" from a pet store! One day while visiting a pet store near me that, sometimes sells hedgehogs, I overheard the person tell a teen that the hedgehog needed to be fed Pretty Pets and would live to be 15 yrs old. I was shocked, but left. Thank goodness, that teen showed up at HHC and we helped him learn the real truth.

A pet store will sell you the wrong stuff and they really don't care.

strawberryfields 10-27-2009 10:00 PM

FIFTEEN years old?? If only it were true! :lol:
You're right about the pet stores though! I once saw a hedgehog being kept in a small aquarium with no shavings or anything, just the cold hard glass. There was a woman yelling at the store manager to sell her the hedgehog immediately for a low price (they wanted $250) or she would be reporting them. As I left she was telling the girl behind the cash register how a hedgehog should REALLY be taken care of. I was really proud of her!

Immortalia 10-27-2009 11:12 PM

Oh, you forgot about the lack of ability to understand math...that...

Male + Female = Babies

Is NOT a myth. It's a proven fact.

LizardGirl 10-27-2009 11:15 PM

Even more specific, often

Male + Female = in-need-of-vet-care-female +- dead, dying, or eaten babies.

Also a proven fact. :shock:

Immortalia, it's amazing how people don't understand basic things like that. :lol:

Bengall77 10-27-2009 11:18 PM

What I don't understand is how these people who use cheap food, too small cages, can't take their sick hedgehog to the vet, etc... can afford an expensive pet in the first place. I don't know about everyone else but I paid $200 for Quillbert and about another $75 on set up materials like his sterilite bin, wheel, igloo, etc. Not to mention that I spent about another $50 on fabric to make liners and bags before tossing out the shavings. If you have the money to buy the pet then you should make sure that you have the money to get the little guy everything he needs.

LizardGirl 10-28-2009 12:04 AM

That too! People that see hedgies in pet stores I think buy on impulse, thinking hedgies can't be *that* expensive... and if they find out they do cost more than that, who cares? It's easy to buy the cheap stuff anyways. ("I can't afford to buy a hedgie, so I need someone to give one to me for free I'll take great care of it" - what?)

hedgielover 10-28-2009 09:03 AM

I've noticed a lot of new posts like this as well. I cannot comprehend how people can justify getting all their information from a pet store that is trying to sell them something. Don't people understand that pet stores have ulterior motives. Even people that come into my store which is pretty good. All of us that work there are informed and put the needs of the dog and the customer before making a sale. But still people come in and ask for medicine, how to cure this and that. What should I feed my dog if he has this medical condition. I'm not a vet! People that work in pet stores are not experts! We are just people that have part time close to minimum wage jobs. Don't trust us!

FiaSpice 10-28-2009 10:11 AM

too bad we don't have a hand claping smily here *insert it here*
I agree with everything you said, but the bigger problem is that people don't want to admit they are wrong when given good advice. Remember my post in the famous ZooZone cage topic. In almost 4 years of hedgie ownership, I never knew it would be a bad cage (my breeder told me it was a really good one :roll: ). After learning it was wrong, I saved some money and this weeken Litchi will be moving in her new dig (new bigger stand, new liners and new cage). It's ok to be wrong, but you have to own up to your mistakes

strawberryfields 10-28-2009 11:46 AM

Quote:

I agree with everything you said, but the bigger problem is that people don't want to admit they are wrong when given good advice. Remember my post in the famous ZooZone cage topic.
Yes FiaSpice, I remember that topic quite well! Haha, that was back when I was still awaiting Rocko's arrival and doing research, but I read it and was completely shocked. I didn't even think about that when I was writing this topic, but now that you mention it, it's funny that everything I said pretty much applied there! :lol: Some people are just stubborn and refuse to admit that others on this forum have more experience and their advice should be trusted.

Kudos to you on getting your baby a new cage after getting better information. I hope Litchi enjoys her new home!

shetland 10-28-2009 01:14 PM

Such a beautifully written post! Not offensive at all. Written with obviously sincere compassion, caring and love for hedgies. Thank you so much. I wish there could be a space on Hedgehog Central where this post could be saved for all time.

FiaSpice 10-28-2009 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shetland
Such a beautifully written post! Not offensive at all. Written with obviously sincere compassion, caring and love for hedgies. Thank you so much. I wish there could be a space on Hedgehog Central where this post could be saved for all time.

like a sticky... that would be good.

krbshappy71 10-28-2009 05:51 PM

If you make it a sticky could we add something about knowing where the nearest vet is?

Another person I was talking to asked me what vet I use. I was SO EMBARASSED. :oops: I do not have a vet lined up yet. Thankfully the person graciously suggested someone to me and they are local. I had looked up vet places in my town to make sure there was one but in the event of an emergency do I really want to rush it to a stranger and ask if they still look at hedgehogs? No way. So I am going to go meet the vet recommended to me and do a wellness checkup, and that way I've also driven to the place instead of having to look it up on a map (or TomTom for us techies) during an emotional situation.

Anyhow that is my spew and admission to a mistake all in one.

strawberryfields 10-28-2009 07:40 PM

Quote:

If you make it a sticky could we add something about knowing where the nearest vet is?
You guys make me blush with thinking this deserves to be a sticky. :-)
But, just in case it does get stickied, and just for the people reading it, I will add the vet thing in! That's really important too.

And don't worry, everyone makes mistakes and has to ask questions sometimes, even experienced owners. We all learn new things all the time, so don't feel bad now that you've learned something new! It's just those who pretty much openly acknowledge that they are unable to provide something because of cost/location/time/whatever that makes me go "UGHH :evil: "

LizardGirl 10-28-2009 08:05 PM

Making mistakes is not a problem if you are willing to admit you were wrong, and fix the situation. :)

FiaSpice 10-28-2009 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krbshappy71

Another person I was talking to asked me what vet I use. I was SO EMBARASSED. :oops: I do not have a vet lined up yet. Thankfully the person graciously suggested someone to me and they are local. I had looked up vet places in my town to make sure there was one but in the event of an emergency do I really want to rush it to a stranger and ask if they still look at hedgehogs? No way. So I am going to go meet the vet recommended to me and do a wellness checkup, and that way I've also driven to the place instead of having to look it up on a map (or TomTom for us techies) during an emotional situation.

Anyhow that is my spew and admission to a mistake all in one.

That's a good thing, my vet is willing to do emergency when you are a "regular" so that's a good thing to have a wellnes check up so in the even of something, they are more willing to accomodate you.

Pipkin 10-29-2009 10:33 AM

oooo yes this post is good.
I absolutely hate reading posts where people say they cant afford to do this or that, or a bad condition is 'ok' for now. Meaning they don't care what condition the hedgie is because its only going to be like that for a few months. I'd love to see them live in a dirty freezing cold room, with only chips to eat. Thats the equivalent of what they're doing to a hedgie.

Well done.

They dont even need to admit they're wrong on here, as long as they put it right straight away at home for the lil hedgie.

Although i do have to say certain people are a bit nasty with their replies to people who ask for advice. This is what this forum is for, its for help and advice and whether that person has received wrong advice elsewhere or whatever they shouldnt be put down on here which i see happen a few times :? I dont really like to see that happen, some people genuinely dont know and are trying to fix things for the best with their hedgie, and they get shot down on their first post.

gemmamc88 12-11-2009 04:03 AM

I couldnt agree with you more. I am picking my new baby up in 3 weeks time and i would buy him what ever was recommended to keep him fit and healthy. Every week I txt the breeder to see how Alfie is doin (My new baby hedgie), and also ask when im buying things what she would recommend. I wouldnt buy him cheap food or anything that would upset him or make him ill and i agree if you are not willing to provide properly for them then they really shouldnt be your pet.

StellaWithaBow 01-02-2010 03:50 PM

As I was reading this ( and I am a new owner) I was not offended one bit!
Newbies like myself, need to actually TALK to people who have hedgies, need to do research ACTUAL RESEARCH! I looked up hedgies for a few weeks before even looking for one, I FINALLY found HCC and since then this has been the MOST useful and informative source.

Even after I got Stella from a woman who couldn't keep her and was using all the wrong products (i.e. cedar, feeding her low qual food, and even giving her a water bottle which was way too dangerous and broken, ON TOP OF ALL THAT NO HEATING UNIT!!!) I was learning more!
Each day is something new and I constantly have questions. So I say, DON'T give anyone easy access info.

Anyone looking for a pet should be prepared- pets are not impulse decisions.

I appreciate this post.

dos88casas 01-19-2010 03:54 AM

Nice!! Learned something today! See Ya!!..

hedgiesrule 01-28-2010 06:59 PM

Great post. Some think something's wrong with their hedgie when it's actually just normal behavior!! :lol:
I once saw someone asking a few questions about their hedgie... they had gotten him from a pet store that sold them a basket of hedgie supplies...
It had VITAKRAFT food and a CHEW BLOCK included in it.
:roll: Some people just have no idea what is and isn't for a hedgie.
And don't you hate it when people call hedgies PORCUPINES? It bugs me so much.
But that owner did switch foods and take out the chew block. I forgot what else was in it, I just remember those two things...
hr

Hatter93 02-21-2010 09:01 PM

So i'm getting a new baby in a few weeks and I want to make sure everything is perfect for her when she arives. So far I have gotten her aspen chip bedding, A wheel, food/water bowl, I'm making her house out of sterilite per directions I found on HHC, I've gotten her a few matchbox cars and toilet paper tubes (cut of course) because i've heard some like to play with that sort of thing, I'll be stopping at the pet store to get her a little hidey house, an a night shirt i've been wearing so she can get used to my scent. I also picked up some non-scented soap snce the kind we usually have is pretty strong smelling. Please tell m if there is anything I over looke or any suggestions you may have. I may just be being an over worried expectent parent, but I want to make sure I can do all I can to make her happy.

Hedgieonboard 02-21-2010 11:42 PM

The only thing that came to mind would be a heating plan. If your house is kept at around 75 degrees it should be fine but some hedgehogs need a few degrees cooler and some a few degrees warmer. You may need to purchase a space heater or a CHE set up to make sure that you can keep your new hedgie at the right temperature. You may already know this but wanted to make sure just in case because IMO its one of the most important things to owning hedgie right up there with a good food mix and providing enough light per day :)

Hatter93 02-21-2010 11:45 PM

Yes i'm trying to work out the temp to see If I can just keep my house that temp constantly or if I have to buy something else specifecly for her.

allisonsnickers 02-23-2010 09:51 PM

To be honest, I don't understand how a person could visit this site and not know things like what you described (cages, wheels, liners, vets, etc.). I remember finding this site on google and feeling like I'd discovered a gold mine. The websites that I had been visiting just weren't providing the information that I needed. The experiences that you all provided were, in my opinion, the most helpful. To be honest, I think I was originally the person that saw a picture of a hedgehog, was over-whelmed by their sheer adorableness, and immediately wanted one. So I looked them up and learned their basic needs and was planning to do some more, way deeper digging. My dad was originally VERY anti-hedgehog. I knew that in order to obtain one of these wonderful creatures, I would have to do some HEAVY research. I found this site and still felt like I really, REALLY wanted one (even after reading for literally three and a half hours). My dad was slightly more convinced, but I would still have to wait a few months. So in early September, I actually found a breeder practically down the street from me, whose daughter I actually know. The first thing I asked was about food and vet :D. Anyway, we went to go meet her and her two hedgies for sale. One appeared to be a cinnamon or cinnacot pinto (VERY high pinto) and the other was Dewey (I know he's either an algerian chocolate or brown, but if anyone would be able to tell from my sig, they should please tell me :D). I immediately fell in love with him. His adorableness won my dad's heart too. We arranged to pick him up a week later and we went shopping for everything. I've had him for five months and I still love him to death, even after his mites, minor upper respiratory infection (he came with these things), and, worst of all, quilling. Hahaha.

courtno 03-10-2010 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgiepets
The problem with some is they got their "advice" from a pet store! One day while visiting a pet store near me that, sometimes sells hedgehogs, I overheard the person tell a teen that the hedgehog needed to be fed Pretty Pets and would live to be 15 yrs old. I was shocked, but left. Thank goodness, that teen showed up at HHC and we helped him learn the real truth.

A pet store will sell you the wrong stuff and they really don't care.

Yes, I got my hedgehog (Adler) at a pet store last Sunday, and the girl working there looked like she was barely out of high school. Not that this always means anything, but she didn't really have a clue about the hedgehog at all. When I brought up my internet research, and how a wheel and litter box were recommended, but that I didn't see those in their cage (6 or 7 hedgies in a 1' x 2' cage with no hideout ... ridiculous!) she told me that she had never heard of anything like that. I'm so glad I found sites such as these, or else my hedgehog would probably hate her life. The only good bit of advice she gave was to get a cage with narrow spaces in the wires to avoid an escape.

nikki 03-10-2010 12:15 PM

if your hedgie is a female, and she was in with others...keep in mind she may be pregnant. The only way to know for sure if she is is to wait and she if she has any babies. Be prepared in case she does.

Scootzz 09-20-2010 04:57 PM

I think that people who don't care about there hegies are horrible people. I find your post non offending but GREAT AND HELPFUL FOR PEOPLE WHO WANT A HEDGE HOG AND NOT HAVE TO GIVE THEM UP BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT HEALTHY OR CANT AFFORD THEM.

silvercat 09-20-2010 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wtfrenee
EDIT: This was mentioned and also needs to be addressed. Before you get a hedgehog you must acknowledge that you will probably need to take him or her to the vet one day, and taking an exotic to the vet can be expensive. Plus, not all vets can treat hedgehogs, not even all exotic vets, so it is imperative that you are sure of one before bringing the hedgie home! There is a list right here on Hedgehog Central, so the situation should never arise when someone is frantically calling around to different vets while their hedgie is sick or injured.

I would like to add that when looking for a vet, speak to the vet themselves, and not just the person on the phone. This summer I was working and living 2 hours from my regular vet. Prior to travelling I called around to make sure there was a vet in the area who was familiar with hedgehogs. Lady on the phone at the vet clinic said it wouldn't be a problem and they had someone. Well when I came in with Sylvie, after much running around from the front desk lady, they came back out to say they didn't have anyone on staff who was familiar with hedgehogs (regardless of what the woman on the phone initally said).

lpercz 12-26-2010 08:02 PM

I'm a new owner, and I probably had one of the posts you're talking about. I'm not offended. She was a surprise gift to me so I had only done only so much research before hand. I tried make sure that I couldnt find another post about what I was asking for.
I understand all of your frustrations it's totally understandable but newbie owners sometimes are getting the wrong advice and dont have the means of getting to a site like this. Unless they're asking really dumb questions, go a little easy on them so they dont feel stupid. My step mom bought Sookie for me as a surprise Christmas present and I've had to do a lot of my own research about things I wasnt thinking about in a matter of a few days because she had done the other research from some books. I was told on here never to rely on those books. Had I known I was getting her I would have obviously known more. She thinks it's like owning a hamster and as I've learned it's very different. Some of the advice she's gotten through her research is the complete opposite of what I've gotten from here. I dont think she even knew about this site.

mtnwmn 12-27-2010 02:52 AM

You bring up a good point, lpercz.

Luckily I found this website before I brought Shocktop home, so I had a better foundation... but before I came here, I had only been exposed to books (with pictures from the 80s). I see a lot of people respond with excitement to new posts... but there are many people who express frustration.

I feel like we all have a common goal here, to promote good hedgehog care. Almost everyone here is more experienced than I, and their experience is something I value. I am so grateful to all of the help on this forum. I think sometimes, people don't necessarily realize they're role models in this online community, and their frustration or disapproval turn people off to this community, instead of supporting a positive change in behavior.

Sometimes we all just need to be reminded that behind every post is a person, sitting at a computer, holding a hedgehog.

lpercz 12-27-2010 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtnwmn
I feel like we all have a common goal here, to promote good hedgehog care. Almost everyone here is more experienced than I, and their experience is something I value. I am so grateful to all of the help on this forum. I think sometimes, people don't necessarily realize they're role models in this online community, and their frustration or disapproval turn people off to this community, instead of supporting a positive change in behavior.

I agree with that completely. All I'm saying is that you need to go a little easy on us new owners guys. We're coming to you for help because we obviously didnt have the right information. If you're being a little annoyed and sorry to say it, a little nasty, you do turn people off to your help and this site. I didnt even know how to use or browse a forum like this so I wasnt sure how to find something I needed to know. Just go a little easy and be patient is all I'm saying. We're looking to you for help and it's you we need to guide us in the right directions. If we all had the answers we would have no need for this forum in the first place.

susanaproenca 12-27-2010 03:52 PM

I've been on the website for a few months and I don't think people are nasty to new members who come here looking for info, I'm actually very glad that people will try to learn about their new pets.

When we first got Mustard I didn't even know what a hedgehog was, but she needed a loving home and I had lots of love to give, so I took her in. I did a lot of research on the first day she was here and soon found this website, which made my life much easier.

I think that what was addressed on this thread is the kind of owner who has no clue at all, come here asking for advice, and ignores the advice completely. Then, a few weeks later the same person comes back here posting that his/hers hedgie is dying because the person just chose not to listen to what the experts here had to say. This really does pisses people off around here.

For the new people, sit back, relax and try to learn. ;) Everybody here just wants to help. Passion sometimes speaks a little too loud around here, but no one is actually trying to be rude. :)

lpercz 12-27-2010 04:34 PM

I didnt mean to say everyone is nasty. I've only really seen a few who, I got the impression, were off-putting. Mostly the people on here are very kind. I was just trying to say to this person to just try and be patient to the new ones. Yes, there are idiots and I definitely understand that frustration but I kind of felt stupid after reading the original post. Like I didnt know a thing and how dare I ask these questions that have probably been asked many times before. And I honestly didnt know certain things because Sookie was given to me out of the blue.

I also read a post somewhere on here about how this person was annoyed at how the hedgie has now turned into some fad. And how people should have already known this and this (some was true) but it was very off-putting and I felt like it was directed at me. I wanted one after my mother sent me an email with baby hedgie pictures and I thought they were adorable. Right then and there I opened up a new window and started reading up on them. I didnt want her because it was the cool new thing. I only know one other person in my life who had one in high school.

But the people who have helped me, like you, have been very helpful and I'm thankful for you guys :) I dont want to offend anyone. I just dont want to feel targeted because I'm new and I really do look to you guys to help me

isosceles_kramer 01-02-2011 02:20 PM

See, this is exactly it. I was told by the petstore (and a reputable one too) that an aquarium to house him would be fine.

I've only had him two weeks and i know this can't be the case. Because this aquarium holds odours. I've found myself cleaning his entire setup every day (including changing his liners and washing them daily) just to keep the aquarium smelling normally. I have no trouble with doing this but i somehow feel that it's still not an ideal environment. And after speaking with other owners, i realized they're not even recommended at all by anyone who knows anything! And now, poor Hodge! While i frantically try to get another home set up as quickly as possible.

The problem is a lot of people (such as myself) THINK they're well prepared for their new hedgehog because they've gotten a ton of advice from, like, hamster owners or something. When you're a novice yourself, you can't tell the crap from the roses when it comes to good advice and you think you're more advised than you are.

This is why i love HHC so much.. because you guys tend to have consistent, good advice that WORKS. I LOVE my hedgehog. And I'm willing to make a ton of sacrifice for him. But before i found you guys, i spent that first week worried sick over what advice to take and what to scrap. (because some advice is not only less useful, it's downright WRONG.)

I mean LOOK at the picture i have of him as my avatar.. Wanna know what that beige crap is behind him? Shavings! I scrapped those early on because of my own allergies, then found out that HE's not really suited for them either.

Little Hogs 03-19-2011 11:13 AM

Wow THANKS FOR ALL THE INFORMATION :D I am getting ready to bring home my baby, from a breeder, in a few week. I have probably went overboard, I got a wheel, heaters, plastic bins (no cages) a hiding places, suggested bedding (per the breeder) + I have made them all sorts of warm hiding places. Good quality food, and extra heating supplies + a thermometer for their housing, and a secure carrier to bring them home.
THANK GOD FOR GREAT BREEDERS AND ALL THE INFORMATION THEY GIVE. If you are looking for a Hedgehog to love, adopt from a breeder :)

randi.bowman 03-23-2011 08:53 AM

Awesome tips! My veterinarian along with all of yous have helped me thus far!
Thanks <3

rachelcolleen 04-24-2011 02:46 PM

I don't even have my hedgehog yet (only 2 more weeks left!), but I have been reading threads in every section on this forum and whenever I come across a post about someone feeding their hedge the wrong food, or using the wrong cage or bedding, or having those little wooden huts or something like that, it just kills me to think about their poor little guy :( not to say that they aren't a loving parent, but they sadly just don't necessarily have all of the right information.

I feel like I've done enough research on here to at least know all the basics of what and what not to do, and I just don't understand why everyone else who has or is getting a hedgehog can't do the same. All of the more experienced owners on here give the most amazing advice and I am so grateful for a site like this, I would have done it all wrong if it wasn't for you guys!