Hedgehog Central  Hedgehog pet care & owner forum

Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Questions (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   BEFORE you bring baby home.. (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3424)

strawberryfields 10-27-2009 09:49 PM

BEFORE you bring baby home..

I really don't mean this to offend anybody, and I hope it doesn't, but I've only been on the forums for a few weeks and I feel like I have seen too much of this problem already. I'm sure it has been said many times, but somehow people are getting hedghogs without this bit of information first..

There are a lot of posts on the different boards where the poster mentions a problem with their hedgie, such as an upset tummy, not eating, injuries from the wheel, etc. Very often, it is discovered that the original poster is feeding a very BAD kind of food, or has a BAD wheel, or the WRONG kind of bedding, or is in an INAPPROPRIATE cage, or at too LOW of a temperature, and when other members encourage them to seek out a healthier brand of food or better more suitable accessories for a hedgehog, these are the responses:

"Well the better quality food is a lot more expensive.."
"It's hard to get that kind of wheel in my country/state/province.."
"I don't have time to go shopping.."
"It's too difficult to keep the whole house warm enough and I can't afford a space heater.."
"You can't have that kind of cage shipped to where I live.."

:shock:

These are things that must be considered BEFORE GETTING A HEDGEHOG! Before one even considers adopting a hedgehog and bringing it home, you should make absolute certain that you are able to provide
-a good quality cage that is appropriate for hedgehogs
-PLENTY of high-quality recommended cat food
-a suitable wheel
-a comfortable temperature.
-veterinary care with someone experienced in hedgehogs

It is CRUCIAL to the poor hedgehog's health, and it is NOT okay to "compromise" the quality of a hedgie's bedding, wheel, food, or home just because it isn't available in your area or because it's too expensive. If that is the case, then a hedgehog is not the pet for you. :cry:

EDIT: This was mentioned and also needs to be addressed. Before you get a hedgehog you must acknowledge that you will probably need to take him or her to the vet one day, and taking an exotic to the vet can be expensive. Plus, not all vets can treat hedgehogs, not even all exotic vets, so it is imperative that you are sure of one before bringing the hedgie home! There is a list right here on Hedgehog Central, so the situation should never arise when someone is frantically calling around to different vets while their hedgie is sick or injured.

I really don't want to make anyone upset, but it is horrible to sacrifice your pet's health and happiness because you weren't able to prepare for them and can't provide the kind of environment a hedgehog NEEDS for a long and healthy life. If you can't get your hands on the right supplies that are needed to own a hedgehog, you need to look into rehoming the poor baby immediately. :|

LarryT 10-27-2009 10:15 PM

Re: BEFORE you bring baby home..

Spoken like a true champion :)

Nancy 10-27-2009 10:36 PM

Great post and so true! :D

I especially love the ones that say they did months of research yet have no clue.

Hedgiepets 10-27-2009 10:54 PM

The problem with some is they got their "advice" from a pet store! One day while visiting a pet store near me that, sometimes sells hedgehogs, I overheard the person tell a teen that the hedgehog needed to be fed Pretty Pets and would live to be 15 yrs old. I was shocked, but left. Thank goodness, that teen showed up at HHC and we helped him learn the real truth.

A pet store will sell you the wrong stuff and they really don't care.

strawberryfields 10-27-2009 11:00 PM

FIFTEEN years old?? If only it were true! :lol:
You're right about the pet stores though! I once saw a hedgehog being kept in a small aquarium with no shavings or anything, just the cold hard glass. There was a woman yelling at the store manager to sell her the hedgehog immediately for a low price (they wanted $250) or she would be reporting them. As I left she was telling the girl behind the cash register how a hedgehog should REALLY be taken care of. I was really proud of her!

Immortalia 10-28-2009 12:12 AM

Oh, you forgot about the lack of ability to understand math...that...

Male + Female = Babies

Is NOT a myth. It's a proven fact.

LizardGirl 10-28-2009 12:15 AM

Even more specific, often

Male + Female = in-need-of-vet-care-female +- dead, dying, or eaten babies.

Also a proven fact. :shock:

Immortalia, it's amazing how people don't understand basic things like that. :lol:

Bengall77 10-28-2009 12:18 AM

What I don't understand is how these people who use cheap food, too small cages, can't take their sick hedgehog to the vet, etc... can afford an expensive pet in the first place. I don't know about everyone else but I paid $200 for Quillbert and about another $75 on set up materials like his sterilite bin, wheel, igloo, etc. Not to mention that I spent about another $50 on fabric to make liners and bags before tossing out the shavings. If you have the money to buy the pet then you should make sure that you have the money to get the little guy everything he needs.

LizardGirl 10-28-2009 01:04 AM

That too! People that see hedgies in pet stores I think buy on impulse, thinking hedgies can't be *that* expensive... and if they find out they do cost more than that, who cares? It's easy to buy the cheap stuff anyways. ("I can't afford to buy a hedgie, so I need someone to give one to me for free I'll take great care of it" - what?)

hedgielover 10-28-2009 10:03 AM

I've noticed a lot of new posts like this as well. I cannot comprehend how people can justify getting all their information from a pet store that is trying to sell them something. Don't people understand that pet stores have ulterior motives. Even people that come into my store which is pretty good. All of us that work there are informed and put the needs of the dog and the customer before making a sale. But still people come in and ask for medicine, how to cure this and that. What should I feed my dog if he has this medical condition. I'm not a vet! People that work in pet stores are not experts! We are just people that have part time close to minimum wage jobs. Don't trust us!