BEFORE you bring baby home.. - Page 5 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree53Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2011, 03:00 PM   #41 (permalink)

Default Re: BEFORE you bring baby home..

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelcolleen
I don't even have my hedgehog yet (only 2 more weeks left!), but I have been reading threads in every section on this forum and whenever I come across a post about someone feeding their hedge the wrong food, or using the wrong cage or bedding, or having those little wooden huts or something like that, it just kills me to think about their poor little guy not to say that they aren't a loving parent, but they sadly just don't necessarily have all of the right information.

I feel like I've done enough research on here to at least know all the basics of what and what not to do, and I just don't understand why everyone else who has or is getting a hedgehog can't do the same. All of the more experienced owners on here give the most amazing advice and I am so grateful for a site like this, I would have done it all wrong if it wasn't for you guys!
I'd just like to point out that there are lots websites, stores, owners, etc out there who promote the wrong information, so it is very easy to be misinformed. It's not that they do not do their research, but rather that they were given the wrong information.

Old 04-24-2011, 03:03 PM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaelikestaquitos
Quote:
I don't even have my hedgehog yet (only 2 more weeks left!), but I have been reading threads in every section on this forum and whenever I come across a post about someone feeding their hedge the wrong food, or using the wrong cage or bedding, or having those little wooden huts or something like that, it just kills me to think about their poor little guy not to say that they aren't a loving parent, but they sadly just don't necessarily have all of the right information.

I feel like I've done enough research on here to at least know all the basics of what and what not to do, and I just don't understand why everyone else who has or is getting a hedgehog can't do the same. All of the more experienced owners on here give the most amazing advice and I am so grateful for a site like this, I would have done it all wrong if it wasn't for you guys!
I'd just like to point out that there are lots websites, stores, owners, etc out there who promote the wrong information, so it is very easy to be misinformed. It's not that they do not do their research, but rather that they were given the wrong information.
Yeah I know, that's what I meant when I said they don't necessarily have all of the right information

rachelcolleen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2011, 01:38 AM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah I know, that's what I meant when I said they don't necessarily have all of the right information
Oh I see. I was specifically referring to "I just don't understand why everyone else who has or is getting a hedgehog can't do the same." But you're right. Often, people purchase hedgies, and all sorts of other pets, out of impulse because they're cute and cuddly, etc. without actually being prepared for one >_<

Old 04-25-2011, 09:30 AM   #44 (permalink)

You also have to think, so many websites tell you a lot of wrong information. I'm new and ill admit I have had some faults but I have fixed what I have done wrong. Until I found this website almost everything I had read was wrong. Especially what temperature you are supposed to have for a hedgehog. Even breeder websites that I found were wrong. I know some of my questions may have sounded dumb, but a lot of places that obviously know nothing about hedgehogs, post up information that is really not helpful.it sends people in the wrong direction.
Kourt101606 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2011, 09:45 AM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kourt101606
You also have to think, so many websites tell you a lot of wrong information. I'm new and ill admit I have had some faults but I have fixed what I have done wrong. Until I found this website almost everything I had read was wrong. Especially what temperature you are supposed to have for a hedgehog. Even breeder websites that I found were wrong. I know some of my questions may have sounded dumb, but a lot of places that obviously know nothing about hedgehogs, post up information that is really not helpful.it sends people in the wrong direction.
I completely agree.

Just the other day I was browsing tumblr, and a person who ran a hedgehog FAQ advised someone to use sand paper on their wheels so that the hedgie's claws could be filed down They didn't realize that the sand paper would not only sand down their claws, but would also sand down their feet!!
Old 04-25-2011, 09:58 AM   #46 (permalink)

Poor hedgies feet . Although some things, such as the sand paper should be common sense though.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:16 AM   #47 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

Quote:
Quote:
I completely agree.

Just the other day I was browsing tumblr, and a person who ran a hedgehog FAQ advised someone to use sand paper on their wheels so that the hedgie's claws could be filed down They didn't realize that the sand paper would not only sand down their claws, but would also sand down their feet!!
As mentioned, some information is incredibly outdated and new people read it and think it's true so pass it on. Unfortunately, that includes new breeders as well who are only going by what they read.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2011, 10:37 AM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy
Quote:
Quote:
I completely agree.

As mentioned, some information is incredibly outdated and new people read it and think it's true so pass it on. Unfortunately, that includes new breeders as well who are only going by what they read.
Those outdated websites and books really need to be done away with. Most websites though are so wrong, and most of them say the same things that people will believe those websites because they all say the same thing. So when you come across a website (one that's actually true) they won't believe it.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:53 PM   #49 (permalink)

I realize everything I'm going to say is mostly needless to say and is probably improving nothing. But it's my little rambling of thought that I decided to add.

I agree that this post was not offensive at all. It was completely true and very important. And honestly, if any new or to-be hedgie owners read this and actually ignore it, blow it off, or disagree with it, they're morons and should not be getting a hedgehog (or any other exotic pet that they may have the same attitude toward information of). And I don't care if that is offensive, because it is the truth, and if someone were to be that way, they deserve the offense.
I don't mean to say that about someone who has made mistakes or was mis-informed. I clearly stated it in direction to someone were to read this very post and not take it as completely true and informative and they go about getting a pet despite it, knowingly, thus putting the pet in danger they could have easily prevented, or giving it a much lower quality life than they could have, or than it could have had with someone else who was willing and able to provide what was needed.

This post and its replies when it comes to pet stores really just furthers my disappointment in the way that pet stores work. I wish it were so that pet stores only hired people who actually care enough to do research on the animals they keep or inform people about. Only people who know what information is the right information, and don't just trust anything they hear. Instead of random people who just want a paycheck and don't care enough about the lives of the animals they're selling and 'informing' or not informing people about.
It's true that it should be the owner's responsibility to research and find enough information, but some people don't know that the pet store employees don't have the best or most information. And sadly there are people who may not use the internet very much either, or know how to find the best information on it.
*sigh* This just makes me want to work at a pet store because I'd care enough to do research on everything so that I could provide good information and websites to people who purchase the animals there or ask questions. Then I'd feel good to know that I may have improved the lives of all of those animals. But sadly, 'working' at one may not be enough because I don't think you'd have much control on how the animals there were housed or what material or food was used. Perhaps then being owner or manager would be the best way to go.
Also, I'd still be left feeling bad knowing that most other pet stores were doing the wrong things and giving the wrong information, and that lots of people weren't even getting much information at all, or were getting wrong info, even if not from a pet store.

So, we should pretty much all band together and establish/own pet stores all over the place, and dictate the care of the animals as well as wisely choose the people who work there and the information they give. And be awesome at what we do and at working with customers, and eventually totally put the others out of business since they shouldn't be running a business they know too little about or don't care enough about to do it this way!
But I add that I do not hate pet stores. And they are helpful in that they carry all of the foods and other things that they do, so that if you know what you need, and what is right for your pet, you have somewhere to go and get it locally if that is your choice. I know not everything can be perfect... but it's just wrong to own or run a business that deals with the lives of living things when you only, or mainly, want to profit without caring enough or being...um...smart...er...informed enough to give the right advice and info on these living things.
Aleksia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2011, 12:43 PM   #50 (permalink)

my first hedgie came from a shop who sold her second-hand because the previous family couldn't take care of her properly.

good on them, but the shop was dirty, had bugs running everywhere (they said it was for the shop snake that roamed freely and ate them).

they had 12 year olds working the counter while the adults were in the back watching tv and i could tell the hedgie already had some kind of sickness. she wasn't very active at all. not even sniffing around when i came to her cage.

since i'm the kind of person who would adopt all the abused animals in the world if i could, i paid my $50 (yep that's right) for her and bought her a new cage.

unfortunately all my tries were for naught cause she died soon after that from a variety of infections. later i learned that the shop had also sold a friend of mine some snakes who shed their skin completely. like, not in a natural way, they lost all their scales.

so this had led me to accept the fact that a healthy hedgie might sometimes cost closer to $200 but it's worth it for someone who knows what they're doing with them.
olligrl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in