Hedgehog Central  Hedgehog pet care & owner forum

Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Questions (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   BEFORE you bring baby home.. (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3424)

Throfted 01-23-2015 03:10 AM

Yeah to noursih them , their proper food is bit costly for a common person to afford that

JimmyHurrell 02-03-2015 06:05 AM

Great post . lovely

hedgehogbella 02-07-2015 07:45 AM

At first I wanted to buy just any low quality cage, food, bedding and so on, but I did my research and understood how important it is to ensure a hedgehog has the proper care. It is better to pay more money to keep your hedgie happy and healthy than to save money and have a unhappy poor pet.

angiec 03-14-2015 11:31 PM

I so agree with this. We grabbed the 3 hedgehogs - and I am glad we did- they were poorly housed , fed, general care neglected. We paid 200.00 each for them. Paid 125.00 per cage, 3 domes, 3 water dishes,3 food dishes, we bought the paper shavings, will be switching over to fleece, we bought toys. Because we had cages in our small living room and we do have a dog, my husband went out and bought 200.00 in wood and built a stand for all cages. Plus changing over to good cat food. I'm on here every day learning and reading everything I can. I spend at least an hour one on one with them nightly. I'm not saying this to say - hey look at me, but rather, hedgies are cute, and wonderful pets but if you cannot provide quality time, a quality life, then pass on this type of pet. We only wanted 1 and when we saw their living conditions we knew we had to help all of them.

paige.loveless72 03-30-2015 07:13 PM

Honestly, if your looking to bring your hedgehog home... i would recommend trying to already have a cage, food and water, bedding, a wheel, and something for them to sleep in to feel protected. (ex- t-shirt, blanket/towel, sleeping bag, igloo, etc.)

Sarax95 09-24-2015 09:33 AM

The trouble with pet store advice is pretty much anyone can get a job there if you say you like animals ect..

Such a great and true post!
Also I just wish people would really think about what to expect, I've always heard the smell is a huge reason for abandoning and rehoming hedgies :(

Gldgood 01-24-2016 04:21 PM

I totally agree with you. People don't really understand the care that needs to go into owning a hedgehog. I've heard so many times that hedgehogs are low matenence and they are. But people hear the word low matenence and think that hedgehogs are just like hamsters. I think that it's a breeder's job to know that the hedgehog is going to a good home and is going to be taken care of before selling the hedgehog. If we all do that then this problem will go away altogether.

ROBYNREECE 04-29-2016 06:58 AM

I might have sounded pretty stupid in some of my posts but I would rather ask a stupid question and make sure I have everything right.I have my moments when stupidity takes over.

I really want to do this right.

I am getting ours from a pet store and after paying the deposit and leaving I regretted it and thought it would have been better going to a breeder. Anyway it is done and rather someone who is willing to learn the right way than someone who isn't bothered.

I only found this forum today but from what I can see I will be getting allot of good advice and help.

Ogle08 06-18-2016 06:26 PM

I also want to add to this post, that you can potentially end up with thousands of dollars of vet bills when your hedgehog becomes sick. Believe me, I know.

KatieTitsworth90 07-01-2016 02:37 AM

Not to be rude but I bought my first hedgehog for $400 with no knowledge what so ever, everything she needed cost me $200 just to get started. Everything there after, food, bedding, etc cost me about $50 monthly. Never got sick not once. Vet bills were $100 per visit. (I took her to get check-ups and shots regularly.) So not every inexperienced person is wrong for having them. I did have to get rid of her last year because hedgehogs are illegal in some cities and towns. So please people check and see what exoctic animals are legal and illegal in your area. Fines can be pretty hefty if you are caught with an illegal pet. I recently moved to a town where hedgies are legal and bought a new one. Knuckles is about 8weeks old and let me tell ya he is spoiled rotten. THESE ANIMALS ARE NOT FOR EVERYONE. Just to make it clear. Not suitable pets for kids/teenagers or adults who don't want to take the time to buy proper essentials to keep their baby alive and healthy. :) Thanks for reading.

liljo 08-21-2016 04:56 PM

After reading all the post its just like dogs lol people go out buy expensive dogs and don't take care of it just like a hedgehog people buy and don't do research before hand they buy on impuse that's with a lot of animals not just hedgehogs they buy don't research they end up abusing it or giving it away or reselling it because they didn't research the breed. So seems it same with a lot of animals people don't do research before buying.

liljo 08-21-2016 04:57 PM

Oh and yes pet stores always give the wrong information ive seen it myself many times and talked to the person afterwards to make sure she knew the truth or He id hate for them to go home not knowing if I'm there I speak up lol I'm not shy lol

emglass217 10-06-2016 10:59 PM

lighting question, is a normal ceiling room light enough or do i need a lamp closer to the cage?

nikki 10-07-2016 01:04 AM

Normal ceiling lights are fine.

Edgar'smomma 12-17-2016 05:05 AM

Brand New Owner that's totally freaking out!

Hi everyone! It's me again. I hope you don't mind helping my neurotic self! We are picking up our new baby either Sat or Sunday. Besides food and a cage and a water bottle, whatever do I need to get started. I tend to get anxious when I start a new project or bring a new kiddo home, sometimes a full out anxiety attack. So any help and advice you could give would be amazing. Not gonna lie reading the forums make me more confuse!

nikki 12-17-2016 05:17 PM

You need a heat set up before you bring him home. Water dishes are safer and healthier than bottles. You also need bedding and dishes.

Artemis-Ichiro 12-17-2016 09:23 PM

17 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edgar'smomma (Post 924666)
Hi everyone! It's me again. I hope you don't mind helping my neurotic self! We are picking up our new baby either Sat or Sunday. Besides food and a cage and a water bottle, whatever do I need to get started. I tend to get anxious when I start a new project or bring a new kiddo home, sometimes a full out anxiety attack. So any help and advice you could give would be amazing. Not gonna lie reading the forums make me more confuse!

Heating system, thermostat, thermometer, light, wheel, bedding, hides, food. Snuggle sacks.

Roxysrules 03-17-2017 10:49 AM

I especially love the ones that say they did months of research yet have no clue.[/QUOTE]

I must agree. I'm one of those who got so much contradictory information. We tried to make his home as comfortable as possible. (I mean my husband went hedgehog wild) He was as worried as when we brought home our kids. We found the reptiTemp 500s little nub annoying. We had to keep adjusting it to keep the temp stable but we seem to have it now.

silvercharcoalhedgie27 03-24-2017 10:37 PM

Someone finally says the truth THANK U
I can't help but laugh at the people who say WELL I DID ALL THE RESEARCH!! yet they have no clue ??

Ashymc92 01-15-2018 10:18 AM

Hoping people still use this

Hello! I am bringing my baby Hedgie home in 28 hours and I am so excited! I have a c&c cage with the anti pill fleece liner and the 12 plastic wheel with no holes and the space heater and ceramic heat lamp along with a digital thermometer to monitor the temperature of the cage. Ive done tons of research so I feel pretty confident about bringing her home. However Ive been looking everywhere for the answer to this one question I have and I cannot find it. I am wondering if the Rachel Ray Nutrish cat food is safe for my hedgehog? The breeder I am getting her from says he feeds them natural chicken and rice cat food. And this Rachel Ray Nutrish had no biproducts or or any of the weird stuff in it. Thank you in advance.

Laxlab 01-16-2018 11:03 AM

I did not know that hedgehogs can/ will eat their babies. I have found that the best place to find information is through experiences of other owners like on this website and hedgehog club.

Veebs84 09-07-2018 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nancy (Post 28602)
Great post and so true! :D

I especially love the ones that say they did months of research yet have no clue.

I completely agree with all the above points. I also have a horse, and the amount of people that will buy there needs 'cute ponies' and not understand that the cute pony literally eats money is incredible. But I just anted to say that I did a tone of research before got my first hedgehog, and then a tone before i bring my second one home on sunday!Knowldge and research into care changed a lot int his time. So yeh i did a ton of research and still felt confused about what to feed! And i'd hate to feel misjudged for this - so many different opinions, and its HARD!!