Hedgehog Central  Hedgehog pet care & owner forum

Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Questions (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   BEFORE you bring baby home.. (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3424)

nikki 05-31-2012 01:07 AM

Re: BEFORE you bring baby home..

I love their individual personalities and that they don't miss me when I can't be with them.

samanthafrock 06-23-2012 06:48 PM

On the first page I read about petstores and not knowing what hogs need...sadly mist petstores have ppl who r either uneducated or wrongly educated staff in every animal department. In reptiles I see it also a lot. For example I breed leopard geckos and joined a fourm just like this to learn on my leos. And come to find out almost everything a petstore staff member tells u is Probly wrong...and Ull spend more doing what they tell u also usually!

sarahmargaret 06-26-2012 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgiepets
A pet store will sell you the wrong stuff and they really don't care.

This is not 100% true

My boyfriend worked at a pet store here and policy stated to give the RIGHT stuff. I can't stand how people assume a pet store does not care, maybe some yes but the ones I have been in do care! So PLEASE don't state that all the pet stores are BAD! I guess I'm lucky because my BF has been around and delt with them before but you also have to understand that I live in Ontario Canada and where I live (Small City in the North) there are NO hedgie breeders so I did not have a choice but by from a pet store. I did ALL my research prior to getting her and I am still doing more everyday. I just get mad when people say that all pet stores are bad!

nikki 06-26-2012 03:21 PM

There are alot of breeders in Ontario, it just means driving to get to them. I made a 3 day trip, each way, to get some of my hedgies because there are no breeders in Northern Alberta either.

sarahmargaret 06-26-2012 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikki
There are alot of breeders in Ontario, it just means driving to get to them. I made a 3 day trip, each way, to get some of my hedgies because there are no breeders in Northern Alberta either.

I feel like I am being attacked by people becasue I got her at a pet store, I do not have the time or a vehicle reliable enough to drive to get one... I think it's rediculious that I am being JUDGED becasue I got her at the pet store. The other forum I was on basically called me a TERRIBLE person.. I have worked in my local pet stores and have friends who own them and they are great.

LarryT 06-26-2012 03:56 PM

So you got your hog from a petsore, that's your choice, no one is attacking you about it, so lets just move on.

nikki 06-26-2012 04:32 PM

I never said that you shouldn't have gotten one from a pet store, just that if you really wanted one from a breeder there are always ways to do that.

sarahmargaret 06-27-2012 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LarryT
So you got your hog from a petsore, that's your choice, no one is attacking you about it, so lets just move on.

No need to be RUDE!

Immortalia 06-27-2012 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarahmargaret

No need to be RUDE!

No one here is being rude. You came here all defensive and started picking at things you don't like about this forum and complain about how rude another forum is. You haven't even given us a chance. You started being rude to us first. Everyone has their own opinions and what one says you may not agree with. It's an online forum, it's gonna happen, it's inevitable.

Take a deep breath and a step back. In the end, none of us here care where you got your hedgie because we just want more pictures and to know that there's yet another hedgie out there being taken care of. The only times it matters where they are from is if you were saying you want to breed.

Yes, there are some petstores with awesome employees, but more often than not, they actually don't know any better and are quite uneducated about hedgehog care. Which is why it is important to first do your own research and know what's good or bad. They don't mean to give the wrong information, many times they just don't know any better.

So chill out, stop being so defensive and just know that we are all here because we want to learn and help each other. If you have a problem, feel free to pm a mod/admin.

sarahmargaret 06-27-2012 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Immortalia
Quote:

Originally Posted by sarahmargaret

No need to be RUDE!

No one here is being rude. You came here all defensive and started picking at things you don't like about this forum and complain about how rude another forum is. You haven't even given us a chance. You started being rude to us first. Everyone has their own opinions and what one says you may not agree with. It's an online forum, it's gonna happen, it's inevitable.

Take a deep breath and a step back. In the end, none of us here care where you got your hedgie because we just want more pictures and to know that there's yet another hedgie out there being taken care of. The only times it matters where they are from is if you were saying you want to breed.

Yes, there are some petstores with awesome employees, but more often than not, they actually don't know any better and are quite uneducated about hedgehog care. Which is why it is important to first do your own research and know what's good or bad. They don't mean to give the wrong information, many times they just don't know any better.

So chill out, stop being so defensive and just know that we are all here because we want to learn and help each other. If you have a problem, feel free to pm a mod/admin.

No one knows me I work for a pet store and I do not appreciate people taking my JOB and making the comments they do, I am also ALLOWED to voice my opinion on things so are you any better by jumping down my throat .. No your not!! So don`t tell me to chill out and take a breath when people on here are the ones bashing my job I don`t come on here and bash people for being breeders so I am just saying don`t bash my job. ``Everyone has their own opinions and what one says you may not agree with. It's an online forum, it's gonna happen, it's inevitable.`` but I am NOT allowed to come on and have my opinion!! Hypocritical Much

LarryT 06-27-2012 11:20 AM

Seems like you are just creating some drama to me.

Immortalia 06-27-2012 11:35 AM

Larry, not worth it. I'm gonna pm and ask for some editing cause I don't want this thread locked for derailment. It's such a nice educational thread. And if they want to tell us about their awesome job, they can make a new thread.

LarryT 06-27-2012 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Immortalia
Larry, not worth it. I'm gonna pm and ask for some editing cause I don't want this thread locked for derailment. It's such a nice educational thread. And if they want to tell us about their awesome job, they can make a new thread.

Already reported the post, great idea on your part. ;)

Nancy 06-27-2012 12:06 PM

sarahmargaret, we get your point and we know all pet stores are not bad but more of them give bad advice than good.

I'm not locking this because it is an important topic, but the arguments end now.

Ela 06-27-2012 01:45 PM

Hello, I don't mean to open anything up, but I'm from Ontario, Canada and I got my little guy from a breeder. I was looking at 2 out of a few, one was a little far from me (about a 2 hour drive) so I went with the closer one. I had to wait three months after putting down a deposit, but I didn't mind because I trusted my breeder would give me a healthy and friendly hedgie (which he was =D).

The wait also gave me a lot of time to research and prepare his living space. This forum provided so much information that I needed: I was able to prepare a proper food mix, learn to make fleece cage liners (thank god, I can't deal with the mess of loose bedding lol) and cuddle sacks, and discover Larry's wheels (I got a blue one!). It also gave me ideas for his initial cage, but I've since moved on to something twice the size because I can't help but spoil him.

So I guess this is thanks for helping me before I brought my baby home. =D I seriously believe that if the forums weren't around, my hedgie wouldn't be so well off.

momIImany 10-21-2012 10:33 PM

I'm very new to hedgies. Mine (who I still haven't given a name) has been with me for two days. I got her from a pet store. I didn't expect to get her for a few months, but his contact had brought in 100 babies from the north. I guess I got a hedgie-"puppy mill" baby. No papers and I have to guess her age - around 8 weeks. It doesn't look like she has been handled any so I have to be patient with her. I was thinking of naming her, "Huff-n-Puff".

Her first day, she ate 5 mealworms, 1/2 bowl of cat mixes, and a full bowl of water. She also christened her Carolina Storm Wheel. I wrapped her in my tee shirt and held her for about 1 hour and then put her back in her cage.

I too did alot of research online and bought supplies before she came. The day before she arrived, I had the pet store owner contact the "middle man" and ask what types of food she was weened on. Of course he didn't know! And he was feeding her some crap-cheap food that started with corn. He told me that he had 50 in each of his pens. He didn't even know how to tell the difference between boy and girl! I can't imagine how cramped they were and the food was probably first come first served.

Second day, she slept all day and then again around 8pm, ate, played under her litter paper, ran, and slept. She is sniffing scents and getting used to her new environment. She licked my hand - and then I remembered that I used those fingers to hand her the mealworms - so I took my fingers away before they were mistaken for food. She even burrowed into the shirt and ended up in my hand.

She is a facinating animal and makes a great addition to my other pets: 1 black headed caique parrot, 3 crested geckos, 1 red-eyed tree frog, 2 toy poodles and about 100 koi in my backyard pond.

Lilysmommy 10-21-2012 11:32 PM

49 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by momIImany
I'm very new to hedgies. Mine (who I still haven't given a name) has been with me for two days. I got her from a pet store. I didn't expect to get her for a few months, but his contact had brought in 100 babies from the north. I guess I got a hedgie-"puppy mill" baby. No papers and I have to guess her age - around 8 weeks. It doesn't look like she has been handled any so I have to be patient with her. I was thinking of naming her, "Huff-n-Puff".

Her first day, she ate 5 mealworms, 1/2 bowl of cat mixes, and a full bowl of water. She also christened her Carolina Storm Wheel. I wrapped her in my tee shirt and held her for about 1 hour and then put her back in her cage.

I too did alot of research online and bought supplies before she came. The day before she arrived, I had the pet store owner contact the "middle man" and ask what types of food she was weened on. Of course he didn't know! And he was feeding her some crap-cheap food that started with corn. He told me that he had 50 in each of his pens. He didn't even know how to tell the difference between boy and girl! I can't imagine how cramped they were and the food was probably first come first served.

Second day, she slept all day and then again around 8pm, ate, played under her litter paper, ran, and slept. She is sniffing scents and getting used to her new environment. She licked my hand - and then I remembered that I used those fingers to hand her the mealworms - so I took my fingers away before they were mistaken for food. She even burrowed into the shirt and ended up in my hand.

She is a facinating animal and makes a great addition to my other pets: 1 black headed caique parrot, 3 crested geckos, 1 red-eyed tree frog, 2 toy poodles and about 100 koi in my backyard pond.

I'm glad you're enjoying her so far! With the terrible conditions she was kept in before she came to you (literally flinched reading that), you'll want to put her on pregnancy watch - she was likely kept with males and since you don't know her age, it's completely possible that they might have mated. I would highly recommend that you check out the breeding & babies forum here and make sure you have her cage set up to prepare for a litter.

momIImany 10-22-2012 08:07 PM

Thank you lilysmommy. I'll do that. I hope she isn't because she is way too young. I had her on my bed last night and she played with a ferret crunchy tunnel, her poop pan and the fleece blanket. She even was climbing my arms and sniffing my face. Making great strides. :D

Katis228 11-21-2012 10:44 AM

I'm starting to get really excited, last night I put the deposit down on a cute cinnamon pinto baby from Huckstar Hedgehogs. She should be ready to come home shortly before Christmas. :) For months I've been reading HHC, and of course have read Lizardgirl's Guide as well ;) But since I made the deposit I've become determined to read this Forum forwards and backwards! LOL I'm definitely stuck at that stage where I know as much as I can know about hedgies, and the next step is to actually learn by experience. It's an intimidating step, which is why I just jumped in with both feet and paid the deposit last night 8-)

Just wanted to make sure nothing vital was missing from my initial list:

Hedgie (duh!)
Cage (Huckstar sells cages and the set up to go with: food and water dishes, igloo, snuggle sack, litter pan, bag of food)
Wheel (Huckstar is ordering me a Carolina Bucket Wheel)
CHE & Dome (100W)
Zilla Thermostat (or is there a better brand out there?)
Timer & Desk Lamp
Organic, Unscented Laundry Detergent
Aveeno unscented oatmeal baby wash
toothbrush
Fleece (for liners, bedding, dig box, etc)
Food (I'm thinking Chicken Soup For the Cat Lovers Soul) http://www.volcanoviewhedgehogs.com/kib ... oduce.html
**I'm also contacting a few vets in my area today to make sure they see hedgehogs

I'm off to read more of the threads here at HHC! ;)

Cheers!

AnnabellasMomma 11-21-2012 11:24 AM

As a new hedgie owner i know iv made some mistakes, the biggest was buying Preston from a pet store. Though i also look at the hedgie left in the pet store and how poorly he is treated and im glad i could give preston a better life. The hedgie in the pet store is in a small corner sectioned off aquarium with no wheel, no fresh water, small amount of food and a wood bridge as a hide away. Apon buying preston there was many issues that as a new hedgie owner i was not expecting off the bat, we had to pay about $500 in vet bills within 2 weeks of having him. On top of paying 250 for him and 150 for all this housing stuff. I thought i had done my research ( 4 months of it) but once we actually had him there were/are so many more questions i have. It breaks my heart to know thta people with NO knowlege of hedgies are getting them because it is a lot of work and a lot of facts to know. Not everyone is ready for the work required for a hedgie. Finacial is something sooooooo important, I love my preston very much so i gave up my groceries for 2 weeks so that he can get better and i would do it again if he needed antibiotics again or ever needed surgery. I like this topic because its so true not a whole lot of people do their research, or save the money needed. I may be a new hedgie owner but i will own up to my mistakes and ALWAYS try to fix them to better prestons life. :)

Lilysmommy 11-21-2012 03:27 PM

49 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Katis228
I'm starting to get really excited, last night I put the deposit down on a cute cinnamon pinto baby from Huckstar Hedgehogs. She should be ready to come home shortly before Christmas. :) For months I've been reading HHC, and of course have read Lizardgirl's Guide as well ;) But since I made the deposit I've become determined to read this Forum forwards and backwards! LOL I'm definitely stuck at that stage where I know as much as I can know about hedgies, and the next step is to actually learn by experience. It's an intimidating step, which is why I just jumped in with both feet and paid the deposit last night 8-)

Just wanted to make sure nothing vital was missing from my initial list:

Hedgie (duh!)
Cage (Huckstar sells cages and the set up to go with: food and water dishes, igloo, snuggle sack, litter pan, bag of food)
Wheel (Huckstar is ordering me a Carolina Bucket Wheel)
CHE & Dome (100W)
Zilla Thermostat (or is there a better brand out there?)
Timer & Desk Lamp
Organic, Unscented Laundry Detergent
Aveeno unscented oatmeal baby wash
toothbrush
Fleece (for liners, bedding, dig box, etc)
Food (I'm thinking Chicken Soup For the Cat Lovers Soul) http://www.volcanoviewhedgehogs.com/kib ... oduce.html
**I'm also contacting a few vets in my area today to make sure they see hedgehogs

I'm off to read more of the threads here at HHC! ;)

Cheers!

Looks like you're ready to go! :) The only things I have to add is making sure you get some of the breeder's food before you leave so you can slowly transition to Chicken Soup, and maybe having handwarmers on hand, both for the ride home and for emergencies. It's also a good idea to have a digital kitchen/food scale so that you can weigh your new hedgie and keep track of their weight. It's a great way to get early notice of illness, and to watch out for gaining too much weight.

Katis228 11-28-2012 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lilysmommy
Looks like you're ready to go! :) The only things I have to add is making sure you get some of the breeder's food before you leave so you can slowly transition to Chicken Soup, and maybe having handwarmers on hand, both for the ride home and for emergencies. It's also a good idea to have a digital kitchen/food scale so that you can weigh your new hedgie and keep track of their weight. It's a great way to get early notice of illness, and to watch out for gaining too much weight.

Thanks, Lilysmommy! I visited the breeder just this week, and she does include a small bag of food. Also, I know the local Tractor Supply store sells the brand she is using. :)

Handwarmers in fleece pouches, a fleece blanket and the snuggle sack that is coming from the breeder is what I'm planning on for transport home. Poor little dear has a 3 hour drive back to my house. I hope she doesn't get car sick :(

I've got my eye on a kitchen scale at Target, so that will be very easy to acquire :)

I'm glad I have both the breeder and the forums here at HHC to count on if I have any questions. :mrgreen:

Hedgieowner26 01-10-2013 10:44 PM

Hello, I got a hedgehog for Christmas this year, from a petshop and I just have to say the owner helped me so much with my new baby boy. I was so shocked that he new so much about hedgehogs, I researched them for 6 months before I bought one :!: and I am completely in love with my hedgehog.

HedgeHopper 02-15-2013 06:14 PM

Hi new here and just fell into this post. I completely agree except for that very tiny last part. I can understand someone doing something wrong and needing to correct it but Ive only had Angel for 5 days now and I dont see how you could tell anyone to give up there little hedgie. Thats the only part that kinda slightly got me annoyed. Pets are like children and to think of giving a pet away is like giving your child to social services.
Its something that should never have to happen and any problems should be corrected before it gets to that point.

Immortalia 02-15-2013 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HedgeHopper
Hi new here and just fell into this post. I completely agree except for that very tiny last part. I can understand someone doing something wrong and needing to correct it but Ive only had Angel for 5 days now and I dont see how you could tell anyone to give up there little hedgie. Thats the only part that kinda slightly got me annoyed. Pets are like children and to think of giving a pet away is like giving your child to social services.
Its something that should never have to happen and any problems should be corrected before it gets to that point.

What the OP means is just that if it ever DOES get to the point where a child WOULD be taken away by social services, then it's time to give up your hedgie. The OP isn't saying to give away your hedgie if you make a mistake or two. EVERYONE makes mistakes, it's those people who are not willing to fix their mistakes who would benefit from a different pet(or no pet) that would suit their lifestyle better.

Some people just aren't willing to put the time and effort into their pets and actually see their animals as "just pets". That's where you and those types of people differ. You see yours as your child(like I see mine as my children), and we would do all we can to ensure proper care.

Some people don't always fully understand what they are getting into, and may feel overwhelmed. And sometimes, they are embarassed to admit that they bit off more than they can chew. And the OP is also saying that they can admit this, and do what's right by finding an owner who would be better suited.

SageNana 04-28-2013 08:01 PM

Hi all, I am new to the page and NOT very good at all on forums/chats/technology so please bear with me. I have been going through some of the posts and pics and I am concerned that our cage may not be sufficient. My son is getting his first hedgehog on May 14th. He has reptiles - snakes, gargoyles and leopard geckos but fell in love with the hedgehog.....so, we have an empty Vision style enclosure that we were going to put her in. It is like 4 feet long and four feet high. It is huge- it has the front sliding glass doors and screen on top so that is the ventilation as well as an area for a light. From the pics I saw everyone seems like they have smaller cages and the open wire type. So, now I am wondering if this Vision will not be appropriate? He got her aspen bedding, a flying saucer wheel, an igloo, food/water bowls, something to use as a litter pan and some cat toys. My other questions are: Can we use one of those automatic waterers for in the cage and also, are hedgehogs like other rodents where they will eat stuff they shouldn't? LIke the plastic toys or bowls? Also, she is SO small right now will the big cage be too stressful for her? With some reptiles I know that they can get stressed. We are welcome to any and all input and suggestions!! He is SO excited to get her but we want to make sure we have everything right and take good care of her. I am a little concerned about keeping the temperature right but we have a thermometer in there now to monitor what it is between now and when we get her.

alexvdl 04-29-2013 02:47 AM

I'm not completely sure what a Vision style enclosure is, but if it has front sliding glass doors it may not work too well. Glass enclosures are bad for hedgehogs as it makes it hard to get proper ventilation throughout, and hedgehogs are very nose sensitive creatures, very prone to URIs and the like. Also wood has to be sealed. I don't think that four feet long is an issue, though I don't know how deep it is. generally the more space you can give your 'hog the better. We have Reginald in a cage that's over 8 square feet. He was pretty excited when we moved in there because he now has more room. Also, hedgehogs have been known to rub their noses raw on glass.

Hedgehogs are actually insectivores, and not rodents, so they don't chew on stuff like rodents do. They might bite things or lick things occassionally, but they're not really gnawers. As for the temperature thing, yeah that's a big deal, and you want to make sure you can keep that constant. Most people use CHE setups to maintain temperature.

velooyuotn 04-29-2013 06:13 AM

As long as the Vision cage has enough ventilation and you have a way of controlling the temperature (since your cage is so large) I think that's ok. (Wish I could afford a Vision cage that big!). I myself made a 4ftx2ftx2ft terrarium with vents and a sliding door and I think yours will be plenty.

I am not sure about the automatic water dispensers, but I think it is okay, just keep in mind that they sometimes like to poop in their water and make a mess. Also they're pretty strong and a automatic water dispenser if its too small will be light and easy to knock over.

For plastic toys you should always keep an eye out for that, especially if it can break off easily. I've heard that most hedgehogs aren't chewers like hamsters or rats but they sometimes can, depends on the hedgie.

I think the larger room is better! The more room they have the happier they will probably be!

SageNana 04-29-2013 09:04 PM

Thanks!! I will try to post some pics of the Vision but I am not sure if I know how to put one on here- I just finally figured out how to tell someone replied to my post! :) As for how much the vision's cost- they are pricey but I got it on Craigs List for $100!! It was a great deal! If I can figure out the pic thing I can try to post some of the vents in the back. I wonder if I can somehow take the glass doors out and rig up some type of different door system. Thank you for all of the input. She is so tiny I wasn't sure if it was too big!! Well, it won't let me load the pic- it says the "extension is not allowed" The best way to describe the vent is that it is the length of the enclosure and about 1 foot wide.

momIImany 04-29-2013 10:06 PM

SageNana
The way that I post pictures is to go into your photos and right click on the picture. You want to edit it and resize to a small web size. Save it and then you can post the resized picture when you add an attachment and go into browse. Good luck.

Luvhedgehogs3113 01-22-2014 06:08 PM

I just bought a hedgehog from a breeder and I'm getting it in a week. Do guys have any advice for me about bringing them home for the first time?

Lilysmommy 01-22-2014 08:53 PM

49 Attachment(s)
My best advice is to read through this thread to get a good idea of behavior to expect, and to download (for free) and read this book completely - http://www.westcoasthedgehogs.com/fi.../download.html If you're still unsure on anything after reading the book, the forum has a lot more information, so you could do a search on here, or if you still can't find what you're looking for, feel free to post a thread & ask! :) Welcome to the forum!

tacticalveterinarian 04-09-2014 04:01 AM

This is an important and valuable thread for all new hedgehog keepers!

Petri 04-24-2014 08:14 PM

I am still new to this but by no means new to keeping hedgehogs so just thought I'd share my thoughts. A lot of people would have you believe keeping a hedgehog is hard but they are one of the easiest animals I've ever cared for. The internet allows you to buy with ease everything you need, can't find a suitable cage build one, personally I use a 2 by 3ft plastic tub I got for 7 online. The base for his wheel is screwed down to stop him moving it and causing a racket. The cage is heated for the colder nights, I literally live above my vet so thats quite handy. If they are warm, have space to play and fed good food you won't have a problem with them. As for choice of food even good quality food isn't expensive just do the research find out whats good for them. But above all play with them every day if you can, let them sleep under your jumper or even under your hand to build up a good relationship. Be very aware of what a drastic mood change quilling can induce but also remember it will pass. If they are making strange sounds in their sleep thats normal just leave them be.http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z...421_223945.jpg And remember no advice is comparable to experience, if what you're doing is different to what people on here are saying but your hedgehog is happy and healthy keep doing what you're doing

kuroneko 05-03-2014 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petri (Post 412418)
I am still new to this but by no means new to keeping hedgehogs so just thought I'd share my thoughts. A lot of people would have you believe keeping a hedgehog is hard but they are one of the easiest animals I've ever cared for. The internet allows you to buy with ease everything you need, can't find a suitable cage build one, personally I use a 2 by 3ft plastic tub I got for 7 online. The base for his wheel is screwed down to stop him moving it and causing a racket. The cage is heated for the colder nights, I literally live above my vet so thats quite handy. If they are warm, have space to play and fed good food you won't have a problem with them. As for choice of food even good quality food isn't expensive just do the research find out whats good for them. But above all play with them every day if you can, let them sleep under your jumper or even under your hand to build up a good relationship. Be very aware of what a drastic mood change quilling can induce but also remember it will pass. If they are making strange sounds in their sleep thats normal just leave them be.http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z...421_223945.jpg And remember no advice is comparable to experience, if what you're doing is different to what people on here are saying but your hedgehog is happy and healthy keep doing what you're doing

so true!

crystalk041 05-20-2014 03:11 PM

I'm new to this forum and with this being one of the first posts I've read, I have to say that I'm disappointed. I learned from a very young age that it's not always what you say but the way you say it. All of the points of consideration were completely valid and I totally agree that they should be considered well before the purchase is made. However, ignorance can be corrected via information through books, the internet, conversations with breeders, ect. but being mean spirited in your approach to giving advice just because you feel that someone may not have thought a situation all the way through... well thats just not very nice.

Prickerz 09-17-2014 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgiepets (Post 28604)
The problem with some is they got their "advice" from a pet store! One day while visiting a pet store near me that, sometimes sells hedgehogs, I overheard the person tell a teen that the hedgehog needed to be fed Pretty Pets and would live to be 15 yrs old. I was shocked, but left. Thank goodness, that teen showed up at HHC and we helped him learn the real truth.

A pet store will sell you the wrong stuff and they really don't care.

Ok to be fair, I do work in a pet store... and I DO care. I care a lot. And everyone I work with does as well. I know what it is like but please don't assume all of us are the same, we get alot of hate because of it. I always recommend the proper care for every animal. I won't sell an animal to anyone that doesn't have everything they need for it, and make sure they know the length of their commitment. And I work at one of the chain stores.

BellEll17 11-10-2014 12:47 AM

I totally agree!!

AlexandPersephone 11-17-2014 01:47 AM

I'm so happy someone posted this...
I've literally wanted a hedgehog for four years and I literally mean four years. I bought hedgehog cups, hedgehog stuffies and just general hedgehog nonsense for the past four years because it was never the right time. I knew that there was no way I could properly care for a hedgie before I finished college.
It makes me a little angry when I see some (by no means all) people jump into hedgehog ownership with a total lack of knowledge.
I just got my baby 2 weeks ago.the day before I went to pick her up I was in a pet store buying a CHE and I happened to overhear a customer conversing with the sales associate.
The sales associate had sold her a hedgehog the day before and the girl had led the sales associate to believe she had everything at home, but I guess when she got home she realized that a cage with just shavings in it wasn't enough. She was literally back buying bowls and a wheel and a snuggle bag and she was asking if they actually needed a heat lamp. She said she could not pay for it that week (BTW it was snowing here already) so she was going to come back for it another time... Meanwhile I had been preparing myself for months to bring a hedgehog home...
However I was super impressed with the sales associate and her total familiarity with hedgehogs. She was recommending all of the correct materials and saying that the cage that the girl had was inadequate and the one that she suggested was actually suited for hedgehogs.
Not all pet stores are bad and shouldn't be hated on, however you ALWAYS need more than one source of info.
I spent months silently creeping this website after getting frustrated with all of the conflicting information. Even though I've been researching them for years I still wasn't prepared for the first night alone with her... Or the first nail clipping (don't worry she was fine I just spent 2 hours trying to work up the courage to actually clip them) smh.
Persephone would thank everyone here if she could. There are so many people here with amazing information and ideas.it breaks my heart to read how mistreated some rescue hedgie were before rescue ...

HedgieLoverRVA 11-17-2014 12:05 PM

I would like to thank all of you who have posted on this forum! I am a new hedgie mom who has learned so much from everyone on here! I honestly thought I had done my research prior to bringing home my Balderick. I may have known the basics, but all of you have helped me to fill in the many details that were left! As for the people who have griped about the financial aspect of a new pet, they infuriate me as well. Thanks to the advice and honest postings of other hedgie parents, I have an "emergency fund" that was in place long before any emergency was possible! I am grateful for the advice from everyone on this forum and I am looking forward to my continual learning as I bond with my little prickly Prince! Thank you all, you are a blessing!