BEFORE you bring baby home.. - Page 2 - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree53Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2009, 11:11 AM   #11 (permalink)

Default Re: BEFORE you bring baby home..

too bad we don't have a hand claping smily here *insert it here*
I agree with everything you said, but the bigger problem is that people don't want to admit they are wrong when given good advice. Remember my post in the famous ZooZone cage topic. In almost 4 years of hedgie ownership, I never knew it would be a bad cage (my breeder told me it was a really good one ). After learning it was wrong, I saved some money and this weeken Litchi will be moving in her new dig (new bigger stand, new liners and new cage). It's ok to be wrong, but you have to own up to your mistakes

Gone, but never forgotten
Etsy shop: K52 artworks
K52 artworks on Facebook
FiaSpice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2009, 12:46 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
I agree with everything you said, but the bigger problem is that people don't want to admit they are wrong when given good advice. Remember my post in the famous ZooZone cage topic.
Yes FiaSpice, I remember that topic quite well! Haha, that was back when I was still awaiting Rocko's arrival and doing research, but I read it and was completely shocked. I didn't even think about that when I was writing this topic, but now that you mention it, it's funny that everything I said pretty much applied there! Some people are just stubborn and refuse to admit that others on this forum have more experience and their advice should be trusted.

Kudos to you on getting your baby a new cage after getting better information. I hope Litchi enjoys her new home!
strawberryfields is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2009, 02:14 PM   #13 (permalink)

Such a beautifully written post! Not offensive at all. Written with obviously sincere compassion, caring and love for hedgies. Thank you so much. I wish there could be a space on Hedgehog Central where this post could be saved for all time.
shetland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 02:43 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shetland
Such a beautifully written post! Not offensive at all. Written with obviously sincere compassion, caring and love for hedgies. Thank you so much. I wish there could be a space on Hedgehog Central where this post could be saved for all time.
like a sticky... that would be good.

K52 artworks on Facebook
Old 10-28-2009, 06:51 PM   #15 (permalink)

If you make it a sticky could we add something about knowing where the nearest vet is?

Another person I was talking to asked me what vet I use. I was SO EMBARASSED. I do not have a vet lined up yet. Thankfully the person graciously suggested someone to me and they are local. I had looked up vet places in my town to make sure there was one but in the event of an emergency do I really want to rush it to a stranger and ask if they still look at hedgehogs? No way. So I am going to go meet the vet recommended to me and do a wellness checkup, and that way I've also driven to the place instead of having to look it up on a map (or TomTom for us techies) during an emotional situation.

Anyhow that is my spew and admission to a mistake all in one.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:40 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
If you make it a sticky could we add something about knowing where the nearest vet is?
You guys make me blush with thinking this deserves to be a sticky.
But, just in case it does get stickied, and just for the people reading it, I will add the vet thing in! That's really important too.

And don't worry, everyone makes mistakes and has to ask questions sometimes, even experienced owners. We all learn new things all the time, so don't feel bad now that you've learned something new! It's just those who pretty much openly acknowledge that they are unable to provide something because of cost/location/time/whatever that makes me go "UGHH "
strawberryfields is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2009, 09:05 PM   #17 (permalink)

Making mistakes is not a problem if you are willing to admit you were wrong, and fix the situation.

kuroneko likes this.
LizardGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2009, 12:02 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by krbshappy71

Another person I was talking to asked me what vet I use. I was SO EMBARASSED. I do not have a vet lined up yet. Thankfully the person graciously suggested someone to me and they are local. I had looked up vet places in my town to make sure there was one but in the event of an emergency do I really want to rush it to a stranger and ask if they still look at hedgehogs? No way. So I am going to go meet the vet recommended to me and do a wellness checkup, and that way I've also driven to the place instead of having to look it up on a map (or TomTom for us techies) during an emotional situation.

Anyhow that is my spew and admission to a mistake all in one.
That's a good thing, my vet is willing to do emergency when you are a "regular" so that's a good thing to have a wellnes check up so in the even of something, they are more willing to accomodate you.

K52 artworks on Facebook
Old 10-29-2009, 11:33 AM   #19 (permalink)

oooo yes this post is good.
I absolutely hate reading posts where people say they cant afford to do this or that, or a bad condition is 'ok' for now. Meaning they don't care what condition the hedgie is because its only going to be like that for a few months. I'd love to see them live in a dirty freezing cold room, with only chips to eat. Thats the equivalent of what they're doing to a hedgie.

Well done.

They dont even need to admit they're wrong on here, as long as they put it right straight away at home for the lil hedgie.

Although i do have to say certain people are a bit nasty with their replies to people who ask for advice. This is what this forum is for, its for help and advice and whether that person has received wrong advice elsewhere or whatever they shouldnt be put down on here which i see happen a few times I dont really like to see that happen, some people genuinely dont know and are trying to fix things for the best with their hedgie, and they get shot down on their first post.
Pipkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2009, 05:03 AM   #20 (permalink)

Exclamation Re: BEFORE you bring baby home..

I couldnt agree with you more. I am picking my new baby up in 3 weeks time and i would buy him what ever was recommended to keep him fit and healthy. Every week I txt the breeder to see how Alfie is doin (My new baby hedgie), and also ask when im buying things what she would recommend. I wouldnt buy him cheap food or anything that would upset him or make him ill and i agree if you are not willing to provide properly for them then they really shouldnt be your pet.
gemmamc88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in