Hedgehog Central  Hedgehog pet care & owner forum

Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Questions (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   BEFORE you bring baby home.. (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3424)

shaelikestaquitos 04-24-2011 04:00 PM

Re: BEFORE you bring baby home..

Quote:

Originally Posted by rachelcolleen
I don't even have my hedgehog yet (only 2 more weeks left!), but I have been reading threads in every section on this forum and whenever I come across a post about someone feeding their hedge the wrong food, or using the wrong cage or bedding, or having those little wooden huts or something like that, it just kills me to think about their poor little guy :( not to say that they aren't a loving parent, but they sadly just don't necessarily have all of the right information.

I feel like I've done enough research on here to at least know all the basics of what and what not to do, and I just don't understand why everyone else who has or is getting a hedgehog can't do the same. All of the more experienced owners on here give the most amazing advice and I am so grateful for a site like this, I would have done it all wrong if it wasn't for you guys!

I'd just like to point out that there are lots websites, stores, owners, etc out there who promote the wrong information, so it is very easy to be misinformed. It's not that they do not do their research, but rather that they were given the wrong information.

rachelcolleen 04-24-2011 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaelikestaquitos
Quote:

I don't even have my hedgehog yet (only 2 more weeks left!), but I have been reading threads in every section on this forum and whenever I come across a post about someone feeding their hedge the wrong food, or using the wrong cage or bedding, or having those little wooden huts or something like that, it just kills me to think about their poor little guy :( not to say that they aren't a loving parent, but they sadly just don't necessarily have all of the right information.

I feel like I've done enough research on here to at least know all the basics of what and what not to do, and I just don't understand why everyone else who has or is getting a hedgehog can't do the same. All of the more experienced owners on here give the most amazing advice and I am so grateful for a site like this, I would have done it all wrong if it wasn't for you guys!

I'd just like to point out that there are lots websites, stores, owners, etc out there who promote the wrong information, so it is very easy to be misinformed. It's not that they do not do their research, but rather that they were given the wrong information.

Yeah I know, that's what I meant when I said they don't necessarily have all of the right information :(

shaelikestaquitos 04-25-2011 02:38 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yeah I know, that's what I meant when I said they don't necessarily have all of the right information :(

Oh I see. I was specifically referring to "I just don't understand why everyone else who has or is getting a hedgehog can't do the same." But you're right. Often, people purchase hedgies, and all sorts of other pets, out of impulse because they're cute and cuddly, etc. without actually being prepared for one >_<

Kourt101606 04-25-2011 10:30 AM

You also have to think, so many websites tell you a lot of wrong information. I'm new and ill admit I have had some faults but I have fixed what I have done wrong. Until I found this website almost everything I had read was wrong. Especially what temperature you are supposed to have for a hedgehog. Even breeder websites that I found were wrong. I know some of my questions may have sounded dumb, but a lot of places that obviously know nothing about hedgehogs, post up information that is really not helpful.it sends people in the wrong direction.

shaelikestaquitos 04-25-2011 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kourt101606
You also have to think, so many websites tell you a lot of wrong information. I'm new and ill admit I have had some faults but I have fixed what I have done wrong. Until I found this website almost everything I had read was wrong. Especially what temperature you are supposed to have for a hedgehog. Even breeder websites that I found were wrong. I know some of my questions may have sounded dumb, but a lot of places that obviously know nothing about hedgehogs, post up information that is really not helpful.it sends people in the wrong direction.

I completely agree.

Just the other day I was browsing tumblr, and a person who ran a hedgehog FAQ advised someone to use sand paper on their wheels so that the hedgie's claws could be filed down :shock: They didn't realize that the sand paper would not only sand down their claws, but would also sand down their feet!!

Kourt101606 04-25-2011 10:58 AM

Poor hedgies feet :(. Although some things, such as the sand paper should be common sense though.

Nancy 04-25-2011 11:16 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I completely agree.

Just the other day I was browsing tumblr, and a person who ran a hedgehog FAQ advised someone to use sand paper on their wheels so that the hedgie's claws could be filed down :shock: They didn't realize that the sand paper would not only sand down their claws, but would also sand down their feet!!

As mentioned, some information is incredibly outdated and new people read it and think it's true so pass it on. Unfortunately, that includes new breeders as well who are only going by what they read.

Kourt101606 04-25-2011 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nancy
Quote:

Quote:

I completely agree.

As mentioned, some information is incredibly outdated and new people read it and think it's true so pass it on. Unfortunately, that includes new breeders as well who are only going by what they read.

Those outdated websites and books really need to be done away with. Most websites though are so wrong, and most of them say the same things that people will believe those websites because they all say the same thing. So when you come across a website (one that's actually true) they won't believe it.

Aleksia 04-28-2011 08:53 PM

I realize everything I'm going to say is mostly needless to say and is probably improving nothing. But it's my little rambling of thought that I decided to add.

I agree that this post was not offensive at all. It was completely true and very important. And honestly, if any new or to-be hedgie owners read this and actually ignore it, blow it off, or disagree with it, they're morons and should not be getting a hedgehog (or any other exotic pet that they may have the same attitude toward information of). And I don't care if that is offensive, because it is the truth, and if someone were to be that way, they deserve the offense.
I don't mean to say that about someone who has made mistakes or was mis-informed. I clearly stated it in direction to someone were to read this very post and not take it as completely true and informative and they go about getting a pet despite it, knowingly, thus putting the pet in danger they could have easily prevented, or giving it a much lower quality life than they could have, or than it could have had with someone else who was willing and able to provide what was needed.

This post and its replies when it comes to pet stores really just furthers my disappointment in the way that pet stores work. I wish it were so that pet stores only hired people who actually care enough to do research on the animals they keep or inform people about. Only people who know what information is the right information, and don't just trust anything they hear. Instead of random people who just want a paycheck and don't care enough about the lives of the animals they're selling and 'informing' or not informing people about.
It's true that it should be the owner's responsibility to research and find enough information, but some people don't know that the pet store employees don't have the best or most information. And sadly there are people who may not use the internet very much either, or know how to find the best information on it.
*sigh* This just makes me want to work at a pet store because I'd care enough to do research on everything so that I could provide good information and websites to people who purchase the animals there or ask questions. Then I'd feel good to know that I may have improved the lives of all of those animals. But sadly, 'working' at one may not be enough because I don't think you'd have much control on how the animals there were housed or what material or food was used. Perhaps then being owner or manager would be the best way to go.
Also, I'd still be left feeling bad knowing that most other pet stores were doing the wrong things and giving the wrong information, and that lots of people weren't even getting much information at all, or were getting wrong info, even if not from a pet store.

So, we should pretty much all band together and establish/own pet stores all over the place, and dictate the care of the animals as well as wisely choose the people who work there and the information they give. And be awesome at what we do and at working with customers, and eventually totally put the others out of business since they shouldn't be running a business they know too little about or don't care enough about to do it this way!
But I add that I do not hate pet stores. And they are helpful in that they carry all of the foods and other things that they do, so that if you know what you need, and what is right for your pet, you have somewhere to go and get it locally if that is your choice. I know not everything can be perfect... but it's just wrong to own or run a business that deals with the lives of living things when you only, or mainly, want to profit without caring enough or being...um...smart...er...informed enough to give the right advice and info on these living things.

olligrl 06-18-2011 01:43 PM

my first hedgie came from a shop who sold her second-hand because the previous family couldn't take care of her properly.

good on them, but the shop was dirty, had bugs running everywhere (they said it was for the shop snake that roamed freely and ate them).

they had 12 year olds working the counter while the adults were in the back watching tv and i could tell the hedgie already had some kind of sickness. she wasn't very active at all. not even sniffing around when i came to her cage.

since i'm the kind of person who would adopt all the abused animals in the world if i could, i paid my $50 (yep that's right) for her and bought her a new cage.

unfortunately all my tries were for naught cause she died soon after that from a variety of infections. later i learned that the shop had also sold a friend of mine some snakes who shed their skin completely. like, not in a natural way, they lost all their scales.

so this had led me to accept the fact that a healthy hedgie might sometimes cost closer to $200 but it's worth it for someone who knows what they're doing with them.

lehaley 06-29-2011 08:34 PM

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone on this website who takes the time to sit here and answer questions for hedgie newbies. I am looking into buying my first hedgehog sometime in the next couple of months and to be completely honest, I would probably be completely lost without this forum.

I've been doing hedgehog research for a few weeks now, but that wasn't going so well until I found Hedgehog Central. A lot of the information I found was confusing, conflicting, or just plain wrong. Many of the websites I was looking at were recommending unsafe bedding and didn't say ANYTHING about using heat sources like CHEs or space heaters to keep a hedgie at the proper temperature. Some of this false/lacking information even came from websites of supposedly reputable breeders.

I am really glad that I continued doing research and eventually found this forum rather than jumping into purchasing a hedgehog without having all the necessities first. The truth is, there is more to keeping a hedgehog happy and healthy than I ever anticipated. I can sort of see how many people may jump into buying a hedgie from a pet store or a craigslist AD and not really understand what they are getting themselves into. Regardless, there is certainly no excuse for a hedgehog to suffer from improper care because of that.

So really, you guys are all fantastic. I've learned a lot just from browsing through other people's posts and I can't wait to bring home a hedgie of my own in a few months! :)

JLF1995 06-30-2011 02:44 PM

I have read all 6 pages of this and I agree that people have no excusses to buy a hedgehog and not care for its health. I have adopted my hedgehog when he was almost one year old and I have gotten it from another owner who had him. Apperently the owner adopted him and was scared of handeling the hedgehog. So almost a year went by and he decides to finally find another owner for the poor thing. I mean that just sounds wrong!!!!! :evil: I had interest in it but when I had him over at my house as soon as they walked with him threw the door I was sorry for him. He was so nervouse and they grabbed him very fast and he threw up on their arm. I felt bad for him I almost cried. :cry: After I got to know him better. I noticed how he was scratching, it was about a week after I had him. I noticed that when he shaked I saw black dots fly off of him. That is when I compleatly lost it. He had fleas and the owners never knew it!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: I was scared and worried. I knew that DAWN Soap got rid of fleas, that is what I reasearched. I continuesly gave him bathes threwout the day because he keeped on scratching. I disenvected everything in his cage. Eventually he got rid of his fleas. He was very happy for them to be gone. I think thats when he decided I was not a enemy. That is how we bond now, I give him bathes 3 times a week because of his skin. The vet said that since he was suffering of fleas for almost a year his skin will be very dry so baths and olive oil is what he needs almost every day. He is a wonderful happy hedgie and I will protect him untill he passes :)

Lilysmommy 06-30-2011 04:17 PM

49 Attachment(s)
That's great that you got him and you've been taking care of him! :-) But you might want to back off on the baths a bit. Baths dry out their skin a lot too, even with oil, and it's not usually recommended to bathe them more than a couple times a month. A lot of people give them baths even less, only doing foot baths to clean poopy feet. If you want to help his dry skin without bathing him, you can put flaxseed oil (buy in the capsules, not the bottle of oil) on his food every few days, and on his back, or you can see if you can get Sunshine Factor from the vet to put on his food every other day. There's been a handful of people on here that have started using SunFactor and gotten good results from it. I just started using it as well, but haven't been using it long enough to see much of a difference.

JLF1995 07-01-2011 08:32 PM

Yes I have been using the capsels and they do wonderfully and they shampoo I got was 'Keilies Wonder' or something like that. All I know that it was imported to help my little hedgie, and it helped his skin and so did the capsels. Thank you for letting me know that. Now he can be twice as happy. :mrgreen:

CloudyCandyx 09-07-2011 05:09 PM

I completely agree! A hedgehog is a living creature, just like a dog, cat, horse, anything! and needs to be properly cared for. Before you get a hedgehog, just like any other pet, you need to do lots and lots of research. This post was not offensive in the least. I knew from the start that keeping a hedgehog would require more work than something like a hamster, but I honestly love these little guys. I found my breeder through this website, because I know that you guys know better than I do.
Any pet comes with its own list of needs. I would think that's common sense.

Hoshi 09-15-2011 09:24 AM

I have to admit, the idea to get my Idris was a bit of an impulse. My boyfriend was speaking with some friends and found out they had a hedgie litter and called me at work to ask if I wanted a baby hedgehog for my anniversary present. My first reaction was "Huh?" because it came out of nowhere. Thankfully, he was smart enough to not just go and buy her without asking.

I got to do a little research, but between the two of us, we had a good idea of what we were getting into and what she required. I was still wary, but when I met her and she fell asleep on my chest immediately, it was true love.

We still need to get a good heating setup (right now we have a lizard heating thing under her bedroom area and that makes her sleeping area nice) but within the next day or two, we will be getting some CHEs for her.

This site has been amazing for me, my boyfriend, and Idris. It is thanks to all of you that I have been able to give Idris a good home and am getting her needs addressed. If it weren't for all of you, I wouldn't have known that I needed to add different and better food to her mix. :P

Thank you, everyone.

michellemorgan 12-07-2011 03:30 PM

Very well spoken!
I did plenty of research before getting my hedgie, and refused to get one from the local pet store. I found a breeder, the only one in my province and I had to drive 3 hours to get Gus! The breeder I bought him from was so helpful with any questions I had, and i was very picky about what to get for Gus (: he loves his food, his wheel and his snuggle bag (which the breeder made, as well as his blanket and cage liner) So thank you Nikki!

I'm still using the bag of food the breeder gave me, and still looking around for suitable food for him, anyone know of any really good brands?

ShutUpAndSmile 12-07-2011 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michellemorgan

I'm still using the bag of food the breeder gave me, and still looking around for suitable food for him, anyone know of any really good brands?

You should ask the breeder what he/she gave you so you can go buy more. :3
Or you can check out our diet section. We have a huge list.
I personally use chicken soup for the cat lovers soul light and blue buffalo

trixie557 12-07-2011 04:37 PM

I wanna start with I knew NOTHING when I got Mumm-Ra, but it was me or he was being set loose in a field. HHC has pretty much taught me everything and I can say my little guy is happy and healthy :) The first year of his life was in a WAYYY to small cage, no wheel, in the SAME shavings from when they brought him home. He wasn't handled and they were just going to dump him :(

So thanks to everyone who answered my MANY questions and got Mumm-Ra and i on the right track :)

OliverHedgehog2658 01-08-2012 06:32 PM

Im a newbie but not to exotic pets.

This thread is great! Way to go guys! :)

cthom 01-08-2012 09:48 PM

when i got my dini i had done alot of reading, but boy oh boy! do you ever need to do more than just read books!

you guys have helped me so much and im glad to see how much everybody here cares about there hedgies!

nikki 01-08-2012 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michellemorgan
Very well spoken!
I did plenty of research before getting my hedgie, and refused to get one from the local pet store. I found a breeder, the only one in my province and I had to drive 3 hours to get Gus! The breeder I bought him from was so helpful with any questions I had, and i was very picky about what to get for Gus (: he loves his food, his wheel and his snuggle bag (which the breeder made, as well as his blanket and cage liner) So thank you Nikki!

Michelle, I sent you a pm and thank you for all the nice compliments!

katylin1 01-16-2012 02:01 AM

Re: BEFORE you bring baby home..10 MORE DAYS!!!

:D 10 more days... Before we bring baby home!!I usually read these posts before considering purchasing anything but somehow my 14yr old daughter's casul request for a hedgie got me on the road to researching. I guess she was meant to have one because I didn't think that she would ever have the opportunity to actually pet/hold one. I mean $200+ for a animal the size of a fat looking hamster!?! Sheesh! Then she comes home that day all bubbling with happiness because her PE coach just got one from somebody (I'm thinking rehoming) and permitted her and another student to pet it. Thank the good Lord she never had a chance to find that Ragamuffain $1000 cat she ranted on and on about! Lol..

Anyway, I just wanted to add my 2 pennies worth and say that no matter what cost of the pet is from the $20 hamsters we got to our pedigree dog that took us three years to get, people should always carefully consider the cost and time (and cost again. :-) before taking or buying an animal.

So for anyone else wanting to get any kind of exotic animals think not the cost of the actual animal but EVERYTHING ELSE that it needs. So far the money spent on the actual hedgie is less than Baby Hedgie's home, but I always figure that a well taken care of animal always cost you more in the short run, but lots of love in the long run.

Enuff said. Gonna go to another post to burble about my kid's hedgie (yeah, I'm a weirdd momma :-)

Simounite 01-18-2012 01:58 PM

Hello everybody! :)
I want to ask whether the hedgehog emits an unpleasant odour? :)

LarryT 01-18-2012 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simounite
Hello everybody! :)
I want to ask whether the hedgehog emits an unpleasant odour? :)

No but their poop can be unpleasant for some. :)

ShutUpAndSmile 01-18-2012 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katylin1
Thank the good Lord she never had a chance to find that Ragamuffain $1000 cat she ranted on and on about! Lol..

OT but my bf has 2 ragamuffins lol great cats xD

Simounite 01-18-2012 02:09 PM

always or only they make it? :)

LarryT 01-18-2012 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simounite
always or only they make it? :)

If you spot clean the cage daily and give it a good cleaning once or twice a week it's not to bad, also the wheel needs to be cleaned daily as that's where most of the pooping takes place. :)

Lexxy 01-22-2012 02:09 PM

I'm happy to see this posted.
I'm a FUTURE hedgie mom. I've never had a hedgehog before and the litters I'm waiting for are going to be available in late February.

I've been researching hedgehogs for the past 3ish months.
I hate seeing animals being mistreated or people getting animals because: "OMGAWSHH HEDGGGGGIIEE SO KEWT!!"

Today on Facebook I actually schooled this guy and his girlfriend because she wanted a hedgehog and came to me asking who my breeder was.
I innocently asked her some basic hedgie questions [what they eat, if they need a wheel, etc]

She answered EVERY question wrong. I continued this conversation and wrote this girl a novel about hedgehogs and referred her to this forum, and also would not tell her the breeder I'm looking at.

:/ People who are ignorant about animals really scare me, I'd hate to see the loss of a hedgehog's, or any pet's, life because people wouldn't take a few hours to google the animal.

chelsea.kang 01-22-2012 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lexxy
I'm happy to see this posted.
I'm a FUTURE hedgie mom. I've never had a hedgehog before and the litters I'm waiting for are going to be available in late February.

I've been researching hedgehogs for the past 3ish months.
I hate seeing animals being mistreated or people getting animals because: "OMGAWSHH HEDGGGGGIIEE SO KEWT!!"

Today on Facebook I actually schooled this guy and his girlfriend because she wanted a hedgehog and came to me asking who my breeder was.
I innocently asked her some basic hedgie questions [what they eat, if they need a wheel, etc]

She answered EVERY question wrong. I continued this conversation and wrote this girl a novel about hedgehogs and referred her to this forum, and also would not tell her the breeder I'm looking at.

:/ People who are ignorant about animals really scare me, I'd hate to see the loss of a hedgehog's, or any pet's, life because people wouldn't take a few hours to google the animal.

I know what you mean, when I initially told my boyfriend and roommates that I was getting a hedgie they were all on board to help with handling, feeding, cleaning, vet visits etc. About a week after getting him no one even comes upstairs to ask about him or see him. Then my best friend brought me a pair of rats that were rescues from Duluth and everyone in the house was super excited by the new rats... one week later you can guess. My boyfriend is obsessed with getting a pair of degus and cannot see why I won't let him get them. Hmm... remember Marvin? What about Greyson & Crosby? His response, oh well degus are way cooler, it'll be different. :roll:

Some people are true animal people and should have pets. Different people have different schedules and commitments. Sometimes a dog is best or a cat, hedgie, fish, pet rock etc. & some people should just go to a petting zoo here and there and NEVER have a pet of their very own.

Nancy 01-22-2012 05:29 PM

Your boyfriend will fast tire of degus. Although they are absolutely adorable and fun to watch, they are so destructive and spray their urine for numerous feet, throw their poop and are smelly. And they chew everything, far worse than mice or rats. They are so comical to watch and usually very friendly and social.

katylin1 01-22-2012 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShutUpAndSmile
Quote:

Originally Posted by katylin1
Thank the good Lord she never had a chance to find that Ragamuffain $1000 cat she ranted on and on about! Lol..

OT but my bf has 2 ragamuffins lol great cats xD

I think so too, but I've been a cat owner before and have satisfy that desire. Lol.. I only gave in to my daughter because IF she should get tired of the Hedgie I can take over for her. Whereas the cat would be just waaay too much work (along with a dog!). So it's a win-win for me. :lol:

EternalHedgehogs 03-10-2012 04:20 PM

I think a lot of times, when hedgies are purchased through breeders, people probably mislead their breeder into thinking that they know more than they actually do. It's not hard to read a few facts and quote them off of the internet. It doesn't mean the person actually comprehends what they are saying. Reading about something and having it actually happen are two different things as well, because nothing ever happens exactly like you imagine it would. It's sad because I think a lot of the hedgehogs that are being rehomed could have made a great pet, even for the person who is giving them up. A lack of information makes things miserable for the owner and dangerous for the hedgehog.

alyssinreality 03-10-2012 05:08 PM

I hate when people say bad things about rushing into getting an animal. I know in a lot of cases it is bad but I rushed into getting my hedgie(admittedly I still did research. Like non stop 24/7 research for a week lol) and I have been told by people on here that I'm doing everything right and am a good hedgie slave. :)

But I'm also a very sound minded person(besides being a worry wart) and love animals so of course I am going to save the proper amount of money and give him all the care I can.

I guess you just have to judge by the person, not by how fast they're going into it.

btw, I got Diggory fast because I just happened to stumble across 5 week old hedgies getting ready to be sold in a week and I knew it was meant to be. :p

kipluck 03-16-2012 02:20 AM

I have fostered/rescued many different exotics, owned sugar gliders for the past 10 years (still do!)... and am finally getting my own hedgie baby in a few weeks. She is coming to me by way of a local breeder, who is driving all the way to Ohio to pick her up from Millermeade Farms in Montpelier. I am so excited! I have been lurking on hedgehog boards, reading various hedgie info, etc. for about 5 years now, and I am FINALLY actually getting her. I feel like I have a good basic grasp on the facts, the supplies (except I still need to buy a new waterbottle in the next couple weeks), but I am still learning a ton more.

hedgiegirl20 04-17-2012 03:07 AM

Your advise has been so helpful. Over the past few months I've been researching hedgehogs and am very interested in getting one, but I was wondering if you guys knew about how much you spent on maintaining your hedgehogs a month so that I can get an idea of whether I can afford to make a happy home for a hedgehog.

moxieberry 04-17-2012 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hedgiegirl20
Your advise has been so helpful. Over the past few months I've been researching hedgehogs and am very interested in getting one, but I was wondering if you guys knew about how much you spent on maintaining your hedgehogs a month so that I can get an idea of whether I can afford to make a happy home for a hedgehog.

The greatest cost (besides the hedgehog itself) is the initial investment in supplies, which can easily run upward of $150 ($200+ is common). This depends on your choices for cage, bedding, food, wheel, etc., and going the DIY route can be more cost-effective without sacrificing quality. (For instance, a homemade bucket wheel costs around $15, whereas a lot of people choose to order one for $25 + shipping. A liner is typically $15+ depending on size, whereas buying fleece and making them yourself is more like $3 per liner. You get the idea.) If you want to keep the cost of supplies less expensive, it's good to give yourself more time to gather them so you can browse good deals on craigslist or make things yourself.

After the initial investment in supplies, hedgehogs don't cost a lot to take care of month to month. A 6lb pound of good-quality cat food runs about $18 or so, depending on the brand, and 6lb will generally last 4-6 months for an adult hedgehog. Depending on your choice for heating the cage, it can add to the utilities cost of wherever you live - but one of the popular methods, a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) is very energy efficient, though it happens to be more expensive to buy that set-up in the beginning.

The other cost to consider, which isn't a monthly one, is the cost of vet care. Since hedgehogs are exotic pets and a lot of vets don't have much experience with them, standard vet costs can be pricey compared to other pets. It's recommended to have a few hundred dollars set aside in a "hedgehog fund" for vet care. Some things can go above that amount, but having around $200-300 available will cover more common issues that might require a vet visit and meds. Also, when preparing for getting a hedgehog, you should compare the prices of vets in your area if you have more than one to choose from. Some will be quick to charge a lot more because a hedgehog is an "exotic" pet, but it's possible to find reasonable prices if you shop around.

debdiego 05-30-2012 07:49 PM

Well ladies, I've been doing my research. I think you are forgetting that pet stores manage to fool people into paying $1K for a dog that was raised in abominable conditions. I don't understand why people trust them either. A mall is just not a good place to buy a living creature.

I get most of what you are saying I need to know about hedgehog owndership. This is a very hard decision as you don't really know what owning a hedgehog is like until you get one. I am a bit concerend with a few things.

1. if they run around the house, does that mean they poop around the house? A snake goes to the bathroom once a feeding, which can be monthly. Birds go every 15 minutes. Just how often do hedgies go? (don't worry, I dont have a snake)

2. I want an animal to seek my attention, an animal that wants to hang out with me. I'm not convinced hedgehogs are like that. I don't just want a creature for the novelty of it, I want a pet.

3.Also, you talk about temperature. Are they not comfortable at the same temperatures that humans are? We do keep things a bit on the cool side, in winter, 68 or above.

nikki 05-30-2012 07:58 PM

1. Hedgeghogs shouldn't be allowed to run around the house freely. They have temperature requirements that make letting them free roam difficult. Also they do poop as then run and most just go wherever they are, I would say they poop about as much as a hamster or rat if you factor in their size, hedgies do poop alot. A free range hedgie can easily be lost in a home or even a room because they will seek out small dark places to hide and will climb up inside of furniture, appliances etc.

2. 99% of hedgies won't seek out human attention. Most don't really care if you pay attention to them or not as long as you feed them and clean their wheels daily. There are a few that actually like human attention and enjoy curling up and sleeping with you but most learn to accept us and our handling of them. Don't expect them to come running to see you when you get home. They also are nocturnal so they sleep all day and are up at night when its completely dark in the room. When you take them out during the day most just want to curl up on you and go back to sleep.

3. Hedgehogs have to be kept at between 74*F and 78*F so the average house temp isn't warm enough. They require a heat set up. If they get cold they will try to hibernate which can be fatal to them. If left to try to hibernate without being warmed up slowly they will die.

debdiego 05-30-2012 08:43 PM

Thanks for your quick response. I noticed you have 14 of them. What is it you like about them?