BEFORE you bring baby home.. - Page 13 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree53Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2015, 02:10 AM   #121 (permalink)

Yeah to noursih them , their proper food is bit costly for a common person to afford that
Throfted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2015, 05:05 AM   #122 (permalink)

Great post . lovely
Old 02-07-2015, 06:45 AM   #123 (permalink)

At first I wanted to buy just any low quality cage, food, bedding and so on, but I did my research and understood how important it is to ensure a hedgehog has the proper care. It is better to pay more money to keep your hedgie happy and healthy than to save money and have a unhappy poor pet.

hedgehogbella is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2015, 10:31 PM   #124 (permalink)

I so agree with this. We grabbed the 3 hedgehogs - and I am glad we did- they were poorly housed , fed, general care neglected. We paid 200.00 each for them. Paid 125.00 per cage, 3 domes, 3 water dishes,3 food dishes, we bought the paper shavings, will be switching over to fleece, we bought toys. Because we had cages in our small living room and we do have a dog, my husband went out and bought 200.00 in wood and built a stand for all cages. Plus changing over to good cat food. I'm on here every day learning and reading everything I can. I spend at least an hour one on one with them nightly. I'm not saying this to say - hey look at me, but rather, hedgies are cute, and wonderful pets but if you cannot provide quality time, a quality life, then pass on this type of pet. We only wanted 1 and when we saw their living conditions we knew we had to help all of them.
Lilysmommy likes this.
angiec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2015, 06:13 PM   #125 (permalink)

Honestly, if your looking to bring your hedgehog home... i would recommend trying to already have a cage, food and water, bedding, a wheel, and something for them to sleep in to feel protected. (ex- t-shirt, blanket/towel, sleeping bag, igloo, etc.)
paige.loveless72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2015, 08:33 AM   #126 (permalink)

The trouble with pet store advice is pretty much anyone can get a job there if you say you like animals ect..

Such a great and true post!
Also I just wish people would really think about what to expect, I've always heard the smell is a huge reason for abandoning and rehoming hedgies
Sarax95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2016, 03:21 PM   #127 (permalink)

I totally agree with you. People don't really understand the care that needs to go into owning a hedgehog. I've heard so many times that hedgehogs are low matenence and they are. But people hear the word low matenence and think that hedgehogs are just like hamsters. I think that it's a breeder's job to know that the hedgehog is going to a good home and is going to be taken care of before selling the hedgehog. If we all do that then this problem will go away altogether.
Gldgood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2016, 05:58 AM   #128 (permalink)

I might have sounded pretty stupid in some of my posts but I would rather ask a stupid question and make sure I have everything right.I have my moments when stupidity takes over.

I really want to do this right.

I am getting ours from a pet store and after paying the deposit and leaving I regretted it and thought it would have been better going to a breeder. Anyway it is done and rather someone who is willing to learn the right way than someone who isn't bothered.

I only found this forum today but from what I can see I will be getting allot of good advice and help.
ROBYNREECE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2016, 05:26 PM   #129 (permalink)

I also want to add to this post, that you can potentially end up with thousands of dollars of vet bills when your hedgehog becomes sick. Believe me, I know.
Ogle08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2016, 01:37 AM   #130 (permalink)

Not to be rude but I bought my first hedgehog for $400 with no knowledge what so ever, everything she needed cost me $200 just to get started. Everything there after, food, bedding, etc cost me about $50 monthly. Never got sick not once. Vet bills were $100 per visit. (I took her to get check-ups and shots regularly.) So not every inexperienced person is wrong for having them. I did have to get rid of her last year because hedgehogs are illegal in some cities and towns. So please people check and see what exoctic animals are legal and illegal in your area. Fines can be pretty hefty if you are caught with an illegal pet. I recently moved to a town where hedgies are legal and bought a new one. Knuckles is about 8weeks old and let me tell ya he is spoiled rotten. THESE ANIMALS ARE NOT FOR EVERYONE. Just to make it clear. Not suitable pets for kids/teenagers or adults who don't want to take the time to buy proper essentials to keep their baby alive and healthy. Thanks for reading.
kelseyfougere likes this.
KatieTitsworth90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in