Hedgehog Central  Hedgehog pet care & owner forum

Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Questions (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   BEFORE you bring baby home.. (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3424)

Luvhedgehogs3113 01-22-2014 05:08 PM

I just bought a hedgehog from a breeder and I'm getting it in a week. Do guys have any advice for me about bringing them home for the first time?

Lilysmommy 01-22-2014 07:53 PM

49 Attachment(s)
My best advice is to read through this thread to get a good idea of behavior to expect, and to download (for free) and read this book completely - http://www.westcoasthedgehogs.com/fi.../download.html If you're still unsure on anything after reading the book, the forum has a lot more information, so you could do a search on here, or if you still can't find what you're looking for, feel free to post a thread & ask! :) Welcome to the forum!

tacticalveterinarian 04-09-2014 03:01 AM

This is an important and valuable thread for all new hedgehog keepers!

Petri 04-24-2014 07:14 PM

I am still new to this but by no means new to keeping hedgehogs so just thought I'd share my thoughts. A lot of people would have you believe keeping a hedgehog is hard but they are one of the easiest animals I've ever cared for. The internet allows you to buy with ease everything you need, can't find a suitable cage build one, personally I use a 2 by 3ft plastic tub I got for 7 online. The base for his wheel is screwed down to stop him moving it and causing a racket. The cage is heated for the colder nights, I literally live above my vet so thats quite handy. If they are warm, have space to play and fed good food you won't have a problem with them. As for choice of food even good quality food isn't expensive just do the research find out whats good for them. But above all play with them every day if you can, let them sleep under your jumper or even under your hand to build up a good relationship. Be very aware of what a drastic mood change quilling can induce but also remember it will pass. If they are making strange sounds in their sleep thats normal just leave them be.http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z...421_223945.jpg And remember no advice is comparable to experience, if what you're doing is different to what people on here are saying but your hedgehog is happy and healthy keep doing what you're doing

kuroneko 05-03-2014 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petri (Post 412418)
I am still new to this but by no means new to keeping hedgehogs so just thought I'd share my thoughts. A lot of people would have you believe keeping a hedgehog is hard but they are one of the easiest animals I've ever cared for. The internet allows you to buy with ease everything you need, can't find a suitable cage build one, personally I use a 2 by 3ft plastic tub I got for 7 online. The base for his wheel is screwed down to stop him moving it and causing a racket. The cage is heated for the colder nights, I literally live above my vet so thats quite handy. If they are warm, have space to play and fed good food you won't have a problem with them. As for choice of food even good quality food isn't expensive just do the research find out whats good for them. But above all play with them every day if you can, let them sleep under your jumper or even under your hand to build up a good relationship. Be very aware of what a drastic mood change quilling can induce but also remember it will pass. If they are making strange sounds in their sleep thats normal just leave them be.http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z...421_223945.jpg And remember no advice is comparable to experience, if what you're doing is different to what people on here are saying but your hedgehog is happy and healthy keep doing what you're doing

so true!

crystalk041 05-20-2014 02:11 PM

I'm new to this forum and with this being one of the first posts I've read, I have to say that I'm disappointed. I learned from a very young age that it's not always what you say but the way you say it. All of the points of consideration were completely valid and I totally agree that they should be considered well before the purchase is made. However, ignorance can be corrected via information through books, the internet, conversations with breeders, ect. but being mean spirited in your approach to giving advice just because you feel that someone may not have thought a situation all the way through... well thats just not very nice.

Prickerz 09-17-2014 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgiepets (Post 28604)
The problem with some is they got their "advice" from a pet store! One day while visiting a pet store near me that, sometimes sells hedgehogs, I overheard the person tell a teen that the hedgehog needed to be fed Pretty Pets and would live to be 15 yrs old. I was shocked, but left. Thank goodness, that teen showed up at HHC and we helped him learn the real truth.

A pet store will sell you the wrong stuff and they really don't care.

Ok to be fair, I do work in a pet store... and I DO care. I care a lot. And everyone I work with does as well. I know what it is like but please don't assume all of us are the same, we get alot of hate because of it. I always recommend the proper care for every animal. I won't sell an animal to anyone that doesn't have everything they need for it, and make sure they know the length of their commitment. And I work at one of the chain stores.

BellEll17 11-09-2014 11:47 PM

I totally agree!!

AlexandPersephone 11-17-2014 12:47 AM

I'm so happy someone posted this...
I've literally wanted a hedgehog for four years and I literally mean four years. I bought hedgehog cups, hedgehog stuffies and just general hedgehog nonsense for the past four years because it was never the right time. I knew that there was no way I could properly care for a hedgie before I finished college.
It makes me a little angry when I see some (by no means all) people jump into hedgehog ownership with a total lack of knowledge.
I just got my baby 2 weeks ago.the day before I went to pick her up I was in a pet store buying a CHE and I happened to overhear a customer conversing with the sales associate.
The sales associate had sold her a hedgehog the day before and the girl had led the sales associate to believe she had everything at home, but I guess when she got home she realized that a cage with just shavings in it wasn't enough. She was literally back buying bowls and a wheel and a snuggle bag and she was asking if they actually needed a heat lamp. She said she could not pay for it that week (BTW it was snowing here already) so she was going to come back for it another time... Meanwhile I had been preparing myself for months to bring a hedgehog home...
However I was super impressed with the sales associate and her total familiarity with hedgehogs. She was recommending all of the correct materials and saying that the cage that the girl had was inadequate and the one that she suggested was actually suited for hedgehogs.
Not all pet stores are bad and shouldn't be hated on, however you ALWAYS need more than one source of info.
I spent months silently creeping this website after getting frustrated with all of the conflicting information. Even though I've been researching them for years I still wasn't prepared for the first night alone with her... Or the first nail clipping (don't worry she was fine I just spent 2 hours trying to work up the courage to actually clip them) smh.
Persephone would thank everyone here if she could. There are so many people here with amazing information and ideas.it breaks my heart to read how mistreated some rescue hedgie were before rescue ...

HedgieLoverRVA 11-17-2014 11:05 AM

I would like to thank all of you who have posted on this forum! I am a new hedgie mom who has learned so much from everyone on here! I honestly thought I had done my research prior to bringing home my Balderick. I may have known the basics, but all of you have helped me to fill in the many details that were left! As for the people who have griped about the financial aspect of a new pet, they infuriate me as well. Thanks to the advice and honest postings of other hedgie parents, I have an "emergency fund" that was in place long before any emergency was possible! I am grateful for the advice from everyone on this forum and I am looking forward to my continual learning as I bond with my little prickly Prince! Thank you all, you are a blessing!