BEFORE you bring baby home.. - Page 11 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree53Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2012, 03:27 PM   #101 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Default Re: BEFORE you bring baby home..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katis228
I'm starting to get really excited, last night I put the deposit down on a cute cinnamon pinto baby from Huckstar Hedgehogs. She should be ready to come home shortly before Christmas. For months I've been reading HHC, and of course have read Lizardgirl's Guide as well But since I made the deposit I've become determined to read this Forum forwards and backwards! LOL I'm definitely stuck at that stage where I know as much as I can know about hedgies, and the next step is to actually learn by experience. It's an intimidating step, which is why I just jumped in with both feet and paid the deposit last night

Just wanted to make sure nothing vital was missing from my initial list:

Hedgie (duh!)
Cage (Huckstar sells cages and the set up to go with: food and water dishes, igloo, snuggle sack, litter pan, bag of food)
Wheel (Huckstar is ordering me a Carolina Bucket Wheel)
CHE & Dome (100W)
Zilla Thermostat (or is there a better brand out there?)
Timer & Desk Lamp
Organic, Unscented Laundry Detergent
Aveeno unscented oatmeal baby wash
toothbrush
Fleece (for liners, bedding, dig box, etc)
Food (I'm thinking Chicken Soup For the Cat Lovers Soul) http://www.volcanoviewhedgehogs.com/kib ... oduce.html
**I'm also contacting a few vets in my area today to make sure they see hedgehogs

I'm off to read more of the threads here at HHC!

Cheers!
Looks like you're ready to go! The only things I have to add is making sure you get some of the breeder's food before you leave so you can slowly transition to Chicken Soup, and maybe having handwarmers on hand, both for the ride home and for emergencies. It's also a good idea to have a digital kitchen/food scale so that you can weigh your new hedgie and keep track of their weight. It's a great way to get early notice of illness, and to watch out for gaining too much weight.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 04:05 AM   #102 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilysmommy
Looks like you're ready to go! The only things I have to add is making sure you get some of the breeder's food before you leave so you can slowly transition to Chicken Soup, and maybe having handwarmers on hand, both for the ride home and for emergencies. It's also a good idea to have a digital kitchen/food scale so that you can weigh your new hedgie and keep track of their weight. It's a great way to get early notice of illness, and to watch out for gaining too much weight.
Thanks, Lilysmommy! I visited the breeder just this week, and she does include a small bag of food. Also, I know the local Tractor Supply store sells the brand she is using.

Handwarmers in fleece pouches, a fleece blanket and the snuggle sack that is coming from the breeder is what I'm planning on for transport home. Poor little dear has a 3 hour drive back to my house. I hope she doesn't get car sick

I've got my eye on a kitchen scale at Target, so that will be very easy to acquire

I'm glad I have both the breeder and the forums here at HHC to count on if I have any questions.

Katis228 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 10:44 PM   #103 (permalink)

Hello, I got a hedgehog for Christmas this year, from a petshop and I just have to say the owner helped me so much with my new baby boy. I was so shocked that he new so much about hedgehogs, I researched them for 6 months before I bought one and I am completely in love with my hedgehog.
Hedgieowner26 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 06:14 PM   #104 (permalink)

Hi new here and just fell into this post. I completely agree except for that very tiny last part. I can understand someone doing something wrong and needing to correct it but Ive only had Angel for 5 days now and I dont see how you could tell anyone to give up there little hedgie. Thats the only part that kinda slightly got me annoyed. Pets are like children and to think of giving a pet away is like giving your child to social services.
Its something that should never have to happen and any problems should be corrected before it gets to that point.

HedgeHopper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2013, 08:34 PM   #105 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedgeHopper
Hi new here and just fell into this post. I completely agree except for that very tiny last part. I can understand someone doing something wrong and needing to correct it but Ive only had Angel for 5 days now and I dont see how you could tell anyone to give up there little hedgie. Thats the only part that kinda slightly got me annoyed. Pets are like children and to think of giving a pet away is like giving your child to social services.
Its something that should never have to happen and any problems should be corrected before it gets to that point.
What the OP means is just that if it ever DOES get to the point where a child WOULD be taken away by social services, then it's time to give up your hedgie. The OP isn't saying to give away your hedgie if you make a mistake or two. EVERYONE makes mistakes, it's those people who are not willing to fix their mistakes who would benefit from a different pet(or no pet) that would suit their lifestyle better.

Some people just aren't willing to put the time and effort into their pets and actually see their animals as "just pets". That's where you and those types of people differ. You see yours as your child(like I see mine as my children), and we would do all we can to ensure proper care.

Some people don't always fully understand what they are getting into, and may feel overwhelmed. And sometimes, they are embarassed to admit that they bit off more than they can chew. And the OP is also saying that they can admit this, and do what's right by finding an owner who would be better suited.
Immortalia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2013, 08:01 PM   #106 (permalink)

Hi all, I am new to the page and NOT very good at all on forums/chats/technology so please bear with me. I have been going through some of the posts and pics and I am concerned that our cage may not be sufficient. My son is getting his first hedgehog on May 14th. He has reptiles - snakes, gargoyles and leopard geckos but fell in love with the hedgehog.....so, we have an empty Vision style enclosure that we were going to put her in. It is like 4 feet long and four feet high. It is huge- it has the front sliding glass doors and screen on top so that is the ventilation as well as an area for a light. From the pics I saw everyone seems like they have smaller cages and the open wire type. So, now I am wondering if this Vision will not be appropriate? He got her aspen bedding, a flying saucer wheel, an igloo, food/water bowls, something to use as a litter pan and some cat toys. My other questions are: Can we use one of those automatic waterers for in the cage and also, are hedgehogs like other rodents where they will eat stuff they shouldn't? LIke the plastic toys or bowls? Also, she is SO small right now will the big cage be too stressful for her? With some reptiles I know that they can get stressed. We are welcome to any and all input and suggestions!! He is SO excited to get her but we want to make sure we have everything right and take good care of her. I am a little concerned about keeping the temperature right but we have a thermometer in there now to monitor what it is between now and when we get her.
SageNana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2013, 02:47 AM   #107 (permalink)

I'm not completely sure what a Vision style enclosure is, but if it has front sliding glass doors it may not work too well. Glass enclosures are bad for hedgehogs as it makes it hard to get proper ventilation throughout, and hedgehogs are very nose sensitive creatures, very prone to URIs and the like. Also wood has to be sealed. I don't think that four feet long is an issue, though I don't know how deep it is. generally the more space you can give your 'hog the better. We have Reginald in a cage that's over 8 square feet. He was pretty excited when we moved in there because he now has more room. Also, hedgehogs have been known to rub their noses raw on glass.

Hedgehogs are actually insectivores, and not rodents, so they don't chew on stuff like rodents do. They might bite things or lick things occassionally, but they're not really gnawers. As for the temperature thing, yeah that's a big deal, and you want to make sure you can keep that constant. Most people use CHE setups to maintain temperature.

My Carry Tube tutorial https://hedgehogcentral.com/forums/vi...st=0&sk=t&sd=a
alexvdl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2013, 06:13 AM   #108 (permalink)

As long as the Vision cage has enough ventilation and you have a way of controlling the temperature (since your cage is so large) I think that's ok. (Wish I could afford a Vision cage that big!). I myself made a 4ftx2ftx2ft terrarium with vents and a sliding door and I think yours will be plenty.

I am not sure about the automatic water dispensers, but I think it is okay, just keep in mind that they sometimes like to poop in their water and make a mess. Also they're pretty strong and a automatic water dispenser if its too small will be light and easy to knock over.

For plastic toys you should always keep an eye out for that, especially if it can break off easily. I've heard that most hedgehogs aren't chewers like hamsters or rats but they sometimes can, depends on the hedgie.

I think the larger room is better! The more room they have the happier they will probably be!
velooyuotn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2013, 09:04 PM   #109 (permalink)

Thanks!! I will try to post some pics of the Vision but I am not sure if I know how to put one on here- I just finally figured out how to tell someone replied to my post! As for how much the vision's cost- they are pricey but I got it on Craigs List for $100!! It was a great deal! If I can figure out the pic thing I can try to post some of the vents in the back. I wonder if I can somehow take the glass doors out and rig up some type of different door system. Thank you for all of the input. She is so tiny I wasn't sure if it was too big!! Well, it won't let me load the pic- it says the "extension is not allowed" The best way to describe the vent is that it is the length of the enclosure and about 1 foot wide.
SageNana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2013, 10:06 PM   #110 (permalink)

SageNana
The way that I post pictures is to go into your photos and right click on the picture. You want to edit it and resize to a small web size. Save it and then you can post the resized picture when you add an attachment and go into browse. Good luck.

Lisa
momIImany is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in