Hedgehog Central  Hedgehog pet care & owner forum

Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Questions (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   BEFORE you bring baby home.. (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3424)

LarryT 06-27-2012 10:20 AM

Re: BEFORE you bring baby home..

Seems like you are just creating some drama to me.

Immortalia 06-27-2012 10:35 AM

Larry, not worth it. I'm gonna pm and ask for some editing cause I don't want this thread locked for derailment. It's such a nice educational thread. And if they want to tell us about their awesome job, they can make a new thread.

LarryT 06-27-2012 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Immortalia
Larry, not worth it. I'm gonna pm and ask for some editing cause I don't want this thread locked for derailment. It's such a nice educational thread. And if they want to tell us about their awesome job, they can make a new thread.

Already reported the post, great idea on your part. ;)

Nancy 06-27-2012 11:06 AM

sarahmargaret, we get your point and we know all pet stores are not bad but more of them give bad advice than good.

I'm not locking this because it is an important topic, but the arguments end now.

Ela 06-27-2012 12:45 PM

Hello, I don't mean to open anything up, but I'm from Ontario, Canada and I got my little guy from a breeder. I was looking at 2 out of a few, one was a little far from me (about a 2 hour drive) so I went with the closer one. I had to wait three months after putting down a deposit, but I didn't mind because I trusted my breeder would give me a healthy and friendly hedgie (which he was =D).

The wait also gave me a lot of time to research and prepare his living space. This forum provided so much information that I needed: I was able to prepare a proper food mix, learn to make fleece cage liners (thank god, I can't deal with the mess of loose bedding lol) and cuddle sacks, and discover Larry's wheels (I got a blue one!). It also gave me ideas for his initial cage, but I've since moved on to something twice the size because I can't help but spoil him.

So I guess this is thanks for helping me before I brought my baby home. =D I seriously believe that if the forums weren't around, my hedgie wouldn't be so well off.

momIImany 10-21-2012 09:33 PM

I'm very new to hedgies. Mine (who I still haven't given a name) has been with me for two days. I got her from a pet store. I didn't expect to get her for a few months, but his contact had brought in 100 babies from the north. I guess I got a hedgie-"puppy mill" baby. No papers and I have to guess her age - around 8 weeks. It doesn't look like she has been handled any so I have to be patient with her. I was thinking of naming her, "Huff-n-Puff".

Her first day, she ate 5 mealworms, 1/2 bowl of cat mixes, and a full bowl of water. She also christened her Carolina Storm Wheel. I wrapped her in my tee shirt and held her for about 1 hour and then put her back in her cage.

I too did alot of research online and bought supplies before she came. The day before she arrived, I had the pet store owner contact the "middle man" and ask what types of food she was weened on. Of course he didn't know! And he was feeding her some crap-cheap food that started with corn. He told me that he had 50 in each of his pens. He didn't even know how to tell the difference between boy and girl! I can't imagine how cramped they were and the food was probably first come first served.

Second day, she slept all day and then again around 8pm, ate, played under her litter paper, ran, and slept. She is sniffing scents and getting used to her new environment. She licked my hand - and then I remembered that I used those fingers to hand her the mealworms - so I took my fingers away before they were mistaken for food. She even burrowed into the shirt and ended up in my hand.

She is a facinating animal and makes a great addition to my other pets: 1 black headed caique parrot, 3 crested geckos, 1 red-eyed tree frog, 2 toy poodles and about 100 koi in my backyard pond.

Lilysmommy 10-21-2012 10:32 PM

49 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by momIImany
I'm very new to hedgies. Mine (who I still haven't given a name) has been with me for two days. I got her from a pet store. I didn't expect to get her for a few months, but his contact had brought in 100 babies from the north. I guess I got a hedgie-"puppy mill" baby. No papers and I have to guess her age - around 8 weeks. It doesn't look like she has been handled any so I have to be patient with her. I was thinking of naming her, "Huff-n-Puff".

Her first day, she ate 5 mealworms, 1/2 bowl of cat mixes, and a full bowl of water. She also christened her Carolina Storm Wheel. I wrapped her in my tee shirt and held her for about 1 hour and then put her back in her cage.

I too did alot of research online and bought supplies before she came. The day before she arrived, I had the pet store owner contact the "middle man" and ask what types of food she was weened on. Of course he didn't know! And he was feeding her some crap-cheap food that started with corn. He told me that he had 50 in each of his pens. He didn't even know how to tell the difference between boy and girl! I can't imagine how cramped they were and the food was probably first come first served.

Second day, she slept all day and then again around 8pm, ate, played under her litter paper, ran, and slept. She is sniffing scents and getting used to her new environment. She licked my hand - and then I remembered that I used those fingers to hand her the mealworms - so I took my fingers away before they were mistaken for food. She even burrowed into the shirt and ended up in my hand.

She is a facinating animal and makes a great addition to my other pets: 1 black headed caique parrot, 3 crested geckos, 1 red-eyed tree frog, 2 toy poodles and about 100 koi in my backyard pond.

I'm glad you're enjoying her so far! With the terrible conditions she was kept in before she came to you (literally flinched reading that), you'll want to put her on pregnancy watch - she was likely kept with males and since you don't know her age, it's completely possible that they might have mated. I would highly recommend that you check out the breeding & babies forum here and make sure you have her cage set up to prepare for a litter.

momIImany 10-22-2012 07:07 PM

Thank you lilysmommy. I'll do that. I hope she isn't because she is way too young. I had her on my bed last night and she played with a ferret crunchy tunnel, her poop pan and the fleece blanket. She even was climbing my arms and sniffing my face. Making great strides. :D

Katis228 11-21-2012 09:44 AM

I'm starting to get really excited, last night I put the deposit down on a cute cinnamon pinto baby from Huckstar Hedgehogs. She should be ready to come home shortly before Christmas. :) For months I've been reading HHC, and of course have read Lizardgirl's Guide as well ;) But since I made the deposit I've become determined to read this Forum forwards and backwards! LOL I'm definitely stuck at that stage where I know as much as I can know about hedgies, and the next step is to actually learn by experience. It's an intimidating step, which is why I just jumped in with both feet and paid the deposit last night 8-)

Just wanted to make sure nothing vital was missing from my initial list:

Hedgie (duh!)
Cage (Huckstar sells cages and the set up to go with: food and water dishes, igloo, snuggle sack, litter pan, bag of food)
Wheel (Huckstar is ordering me a Carolina Bucket Wheel)
CHE & Dome (100W)
Zilla Thermostat (or is there a better brand out there?)
Timer & Desk Lamp
Organic, Unscented Laundry Detergent
Aveeno unscented oatmeal baby wash
toothbrush
Fleece (for liners, bedding, dig box, etc)
Food (I'm thinking Chicken Soup For the Cat Lovers Soul) http://www.volcanoviewhedgehogs.com/kib ... oduce.html
**I'm also contacting a few vets in my area today to make sure they see hedgehogs

I'm off to read more of the threads here at HHC! ;)

Cheers!

AnnabellasMomma 11-21-2012 10:24 AM

As a new hedgie owner i know iv made some mistakes, the biggest was buying Preston from a pet store. Though i also look at the hedgie left in the pet store and how poorly he is treated and im glad i could give preston a better life. The hedgie in the pet store is in a small corner sectioned off aquarium with no wheel, no fresh water, small amount of food and a wood bridge as a hide away. Apon buying preston there was many issues that as a new hedgie owner i was not expecting off the bat, we had to pay about $500 in vet bills within 2 weeks of having him. On top of paying 250 for him and 150 for all this housing stuff. I thought i had done my research ( 4 months of it) but once we actually had him there were/are so many more questions i have. It breaks my heart to know thta people with NO knowlege of hedgies are getting them because it is a lot of work and a lot of facts to know. Not everyone is ready for the work required for a hedgie. Finacial is something sooooooo important, I love my preston very much so i gave up my groceries for 2 weeks so that he can get better and i would do it again if he needed antibiotics again or ever needed surgery. I like this topic because its so true not a whole lot of people do their research, or save the money needed. I may be a new hedgie owner but i will own up to my mistakes and ALWAYS try to fix them to better prestons life. :)