Hedgehog SUPER grumpy when lights turned on - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Annie&Tibbers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2013, 10:38 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hedgehog SUPER grumpy when lights turned on

So My hedgie Quilliam is over 12 weeks and has been slowly quilling. He loses maybe 3-4 (that I can see) a day give or take, and he is constantly itching.

Recently he has been SUPER grumpy when I turn the lights on at night. What is odd, is I can take him out during the day when I change his liners and he is fine; not grumpy at all.

When I take him out each night for 30-45 mins, I have dimmer switches in my house, so I usually keep them low for him. Well, sometimes I have to turn them all the way on because I want to inspect his quills, nails, etc and make sure hes looking healthy.

Well the past two nights when I turn the lights all the way on he turns into a MEGA grump. He runs to his tube or his snuggle blanket and when I try to move it he hisses and even POPPED at me for the first time! I was so sad . Even after I turned the lights on he wouldn't un-grumpify for like 15 minutes. I had to bribe him with cilantro just to get him just to get him back in his cage (which I don't plan on doing anymore because its rewarding bad behavior, but I had to go and had no other choice as he was just that bad).

Is this normal!? I just want to make sure Okay, and not starting to hate me LOL.

Last edited by Brittany; 10-04-2013 at 10:40 AM.
Brittany is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2013, 01:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

Imagine your mother walking into your room and turning the lights on all the way just as you woke up.
Hedgies live with a schedule of 12/14 hours of light and the other half dark. They come out for the dark half. Whenever you blast the lights on him it's disturbing his night schedule and he's letting you know he doesn't like it!
Also, in the nutrition forum there are lists of safe herbs and treats that I would recommend reading. Cilantro is on the list of herbs not recommended to give hedgehogs.
-Anatole France
SpikeMoose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2013, 01:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

There was a thread here about cilantro and a few people said they gave their hedgies cilantro so I figured it was alright. He doesn't really eat it, just anoints with it, so I rarely give it to him.

Old 10-04-2013, 02:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

Like I said, there is a sticky about herbs in the nutrition section, I would recommend reading that.
There's also lists of some other fun treats. I've found watching my albino cover himself in turkey and sweet potato baby food particularly funny. He turns orange!
-Anatole France
SpikeMoose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2013, 02:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

I did see that post, and I gave him only a very small amount, more just to get him un-grumpified lol and he doesn't really consume it just anoint with it. I assumed it would be bad to consistently feed to the hedgie and/or in large doses. You can do anything to him when he is anointing as he is very focused lol. Im wondering if it would be bad to clip his nails while hes doing that? I haven't tried.

As for the light, I really have no choice! Ive been trying to inspect him, especially now that he is quilling and cannot do that in the dark. I also have to bathe him in the light as I have no dimmer switches in the bathroom. He doesn't seem to mind natural light however.

Old 10-04-2013, 04:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

Maybe you'll need to do your inspections during daylight if he doesn't mind that?

Yes, some people specifically only cut their hedgehog's nails when they're annointing. Wouldn't work with my friend -- he flails a LOT!
Brittany likes this.
Annie&Tibbers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2013, 07:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

I think im going to start doing that during the day, however baths may have to stay at night as I have school during the day. Perhaps on the weekends, but I cant really time when he gets himself gross lol. I might give the nail trimming a shot, as he hates it and fights me lol! If not, it will have to be done after the bath as usual.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in