Hedgie Questions for a Future Hedgie Mom! - Hedgehog Central Ė Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2009, 05:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hedgie Questions for a Future Hedgie Mom!

Hi there! I am hoping to be a new hedgie mom in about a year or so. Because of that, Iím doing a lot of research and making sure that Iím getting all of my information correct before I move on with any big decisions. So I have a lot of questions because Iím running across a lot of contradictory information. I hope that I can get some really great answers =)

1. Are hedgies ok around dogs and cats? I currently have a small dog and will be adding a large dog and a cat to the family within the next few years. However, I want to make sure that everyone gets a long.
2. Are hedgies ok to have out and about? Iíve come across a lot of different information on the exact same thing. Some people seem to want their hedgies only in their tanks. Some think that the tanks are just for sleeping. And others still think that hedgies are fine in the tank and fine outside of it.
3. What type of feeding schedule should my hedgie be on? I know that youíre supposed to feed them cat food as well as meal worms and veggies, but I canít seem to find any information for how much and how often.
4. Can a hedgie have two litter boxes? Because I kind of want my hedgie (if itís approved in question 2!) out and about quite a bit, will he/she be ok having a litter box for being out and about and a litter box for in the tank?
5. How do you give your hedgie a bath? What types of soap or shampoo are you supposed to use? How often?
6. What is quilling? I seem to run across this word a lot and itís usually paired with a grumpy young hedgehog, but I donít really understand what it is, how long it lasts, etc.

Thank you SO much for all the help you can give me! I want to make sure that when I do decide to bring a hedgie into my family, Iím making an informed decision and that Iím completely ready for her or him.
helvetebrann is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2009, 09:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Hedgie Questions for a Future Hedgie Mom!

wow those are a lot of questions. Good for you for getting ready before you get your hedgehog. Lots of people wait till after to learn about what kind of a pet a hedgehog is.

So you know the forum has a search function that is helpful (sometimes). It is on the very top of the page on the right hand side. I find it more useful to do an advanced search. I'll answer your questions in brief anyway but you should also do a search and read all the stickies (the posts at the top) in each section.

1. Cats and Dogs. For the most part cats and dogs cannot (or won't) hurt a hedgehog when it balls up. There are exceptions to this and caution is always necessary. The hedgehog cage will need to be in a room that the dogs and cat do not have access to when you are not there to directly supervise. There are mixed opinions about letting cats and dogs interact with hedgehogs. Some say the risk of injury to either party is too great to ever let them have even minimal contact. Others (myself included) say that with great supervision and training of the dogs it is possible for the animals to have contact even if they don't really interact. It will of course depend on the dog and the hedgehog. If the hedgehog is stressed by the presence of other animals then I would not let them have further contact.

2. Out and about. Yes they are ok but you have to hedgehog proof. No access to kitchens where they can get behind fridges and stoves and get lost, or to furniture which they can crawl into and get stuck (no joke this happened to me. My first hedgehog, when I was in highschool, crawled into the springs of this rocking swivel arm chair I have, I could not get him out for a really long time. I had to turn the chair over and bend the springs but I almost didn't find him in the first place). No wires. No steps or ledges to fall down. Most people have a playpen or a hedgehog proof room. You kept saying tank. I just thought I would mention that tanks are not good things to keep hedgehogs in they should be in a cage or a modified storage bin. Search the forum for more info on why tanks are bad.

3. Feeding schedule. That one is really up to you. I would start by feeding two or three table spoons of food a night. See how much he eats. If he finishes it try giving a bit more if not lessen it by a little bit a night until he comes close to finishing it. Whatever amount you end at feed a bit more than that. I always feed Quigley at night before I go to bed (1 1/2 tbls). some people feed twice a day (in the morning and evening) Treats he may or may not eat so don't have any expectations. Quigley gets meal worms (about 4/night) 4-5 nights a week. On the nights he doesn't get worms he gets one cricket.

4. There is tons of information about baths and info differs for a hedgehog who is quilling. Most people bath once every couple of weeks or once a month. You should use an unscented oatmeal shampoo for people (lots of people use aveno). Put a pea sized amount on a tooth brush and gently scrub his quills with it. Some people bath in the sink some in the tub. I like my little rubber made storage bins. They are just the right size for him and are really easy.

5. Quilling. Not much experience with quilling. I got my hedgehog as an adult. But it is when a young hedgehog looses it's baby quills and grows in adult quills. It apparently really hurts and has been compared to teething (which I get because wisdom teeth - ow!). I don't know much more about it than that.

RIP Quigley, I miss you my little grumpus.
hedgielover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2009, 05:48 AM   #3 (permalink)

hi there.

Well we have 3 dogs and a bunny, the bunny lives outside though, but the 3 dogs live in the house and the hedgie had his own room upstairs so hes kept in there all day in his cage. Its away from the dogs so they cant stress him out, its also so he can have the room at necessary temperature without the rest of house having to be at same temp and its so he doesnt get disturbed too much by loud noises, i.e the dogs barking etc. I've never let the dogs interact with the hedgie and i never will just incase. i'd never forgive myself, one little move and it could be horrendous, but they live easily in the same house together.

the other questions have been answered above.

Although you have suggested in your post you're putting your hedgie in a tank? its not a great environment for a hedgie, there are loads of posts on this topic all over the forum, alot of people are very against tanks for them for various reasons, im not experienced enough to say anymore, but thought i'd warn you and suggest perhaps looking into a cage of some sorts, look at housing and accessories in the forum and it'll give you loads of ideas, and cheap ideas which will be alot healthier and better for your little hedgie.
Pipkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 09:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the fantastic answers! I'm still wondering about the litter box though. (Can they be trained for two?)

I was completely unaware of both the search function and the part about tanks being bad for hedgies. I'm going to have to do some research on that. I simply assumed that's what everyone used considering that's what the science teacher at my school uses for her hedgehog. I will be telling her about the problems once I found them on the forum using the awesome new search feature =)

Thank you VERY much!!!!
Old 09-28-2009, 10:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

from experience with my own hedgies and speaking to other people I think its a bit hit and miss/dependant on the hedgie with litter training when they are out wandering - in all fairness all of mine tend to naturally hold it until they go back into their homes to do their business other than the odd incident - I do know a few people though that put their litter tray down and their hedgies run straight to it to do their business - wooden flooring is a god send though
AAdict is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2009, 12:05 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAdict
from experience with my own hedgies and speaking to other people I think its a bit hit and miss/dependant on the hedgie with litter training when they are out wandering - in all fairness all of mine tend to naturally hold it until they go back into their homes to do their business other than the odd incident - I do know a few people though that put their litter tray down and their hedgies run straight to it to do their business - wooden flooring is a god send though
Fantastic =) Thank you!!!!

I keep getting more and more set on being a hedgie mom

P.S. Can someone help me on how to search for information about why tanks are bad?
Old 09-29-2009, 12:18 AM   #7 (permalink)

For the search function, you can just type in "aquarium" and it will come up with a few topics.

For example, I searched "aquarium bin" and I got this thread : https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forum...t=aquarium+bin
Which basically has all the cons for aquariums, as well as giving the cheaper and easier alternative.
Immortalia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2009, 12:22 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks so much =) I kept typing "tank" with no results. Doh!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Ė Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in