Too friendly hedgehog? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By grins&needles
  • 1 Post By grins&needles
  • 1 Post By jlindsey428
  • 1 Post By ajweekley

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2013, 04:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Smile Too friendly hedgehog?

Hi! I'm a new mom to baby Rory. He's an 8 week old possible albino, and cute as a button. I've been doing a ton of research (this site is a gem) and when I brought him home, I realized that Rory was defying almost all of the typical new-environment/new-hedgie norms. While everyone says that hedgies take a minimum of 2 days to adjust to their new environment, Rory did so in less than 5 hours. By 6 hours, he was running on his wheel and exploring everything about his new home. By the next day, he had no problems with me (except when I woke him up to clean his food bowl) and when he smelled my hand, instantly relaxed. I take this to mean that he is warming up to me and comfortable with me; he even sits in my lap now in his warm snuggle sack which I made for him (it's been less than 48 hours since he came home).

I was wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them upon getting a new baby. While i've read that some hedgies even go on hunger strikes, he has had no problems, and just seems to be curious about everything, and barely defensive. Is this normal behavior? Is he adjusting extraordinarily well, or is it something else? I'm probably just overreacting as a nervous new mom, but any feedback will be much appreciated!

Jenna

I will also add: bringing him home, he had a poop in the container so I put it in the litter box. Later that night, I found that he had pooped ON HIS OWN in his litterbox! Since then, I haven't found a single poop in his cage. He likes to bury the poop in his box. I think I just litter trained my little boy. what.

Last edited by jlindsey428; 09-26-2013 at 04:07 PM.
jlindsey428 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2013, 04:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

My hedgie acclimated fairly quickly too (within a few days) she was well socialized at the breeder and used to switching tanks when they would rearrange everybody. Some hedgies are just very adventurous. Mine turned out to be the explorer type...perhaps yours will be one too!
jlindsey428 likes this.
grins&needles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2013, 04:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks! It's good to know that he's within normal range. I guess he'll just be an explorer! That's why I picked him in the first place! He was so curious!

Old 09-26-2013, 04:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

Mine climbed in my purse when I looked at the other babies at the breeders She was telling me that she was coming with me!
Spike12 likes this.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:32 PM   #5 (permalink)

Too cute! Do you think her temprament changed after quilling? I was wondering about quilling and whether he'll still be Mr. Happy after? How was yours?

Old 09-26-2013, 04:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlindsey428 View Post
Too cute! Do you think her temprament changed after quilling? I was wondering about quilling and whether he'll still be Mr. Happy after? How was yours?
I purchased mine on purpose AFTER the last quilling. The breeder had young, young babies, and older hedgies. I felt the older ones were friendlier and the younger ones just stayed balled up as they were newer to handling. I also thought that for the older hedges this was likely their established personality since they had completed their quilling, so I went with the older one who climbed in my bag. Sorry, I cannot comment!
Old 09-26-2013, 04:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

I have a happy girl. She's not very snuggly, but she's happy to play and explore and hang around. I took her to my son's class today, and she was perfectly content to walk on my shoulders and let all the kids pet her, and the noise didn't bother her one bit. She never really went through a grumpy or scared phase. She's been continually quilling since 9 weeks (slow but steady, I suppose) and it hasn't changed her temperament. That's not to say your guy won't, since they're all different, but it's just not necessarily a given that he'll get grouchy when he starts quilling.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks ajweekley! I'm a little nervous about when he starts quilling, but we'll deal with that when the time comes. haha
ajweekley likes this.

Old 09-26-2013, 04:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

From the things I've read and the stories around the forums, it seems that what makes them cranky is just that it's uncomfortable. If he seems to get cranky, you could try giving him an oatmeal bath to soothe his skin. And if you just continue to handle him, trying to make it as low-stress as possible (so maybe just sitting in a playpen with him and allowing him to come to you rather than petting him), he should come out of it fine.
jlindsey428 likes this.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

Ok. as a kid, I used to take oatmeal baths to sooth my sensitive skin. I have heard of a lot of people doing the oatmeal baths with their babies. I will definitely do this! Thanks for the advice!

Tags
baby hedgehog, behavior, new hedgie owner, quilling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in