Concerned... - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By grins&needles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2013, 11:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Concerned...

Hey guys! Clyde just turned 11 weeks old!

I have some new questions I'm getting a little concerned with.

1st, Clyde seems to have a deeper hiss? It's like a clack when he hisses. It's so hard to explain but i'll see if I can get a good video or something.

2nd, He has been doing this lip smacking like action after eating his dry food. could this be a tooth problem?

Honestly I don't know if I'm not paranoid but I cannot find anything ANYWHERE on why he might be doing this. Please help

Old 09-26-2013, 01:42 AM   #2 (permalink)

1. Can't say; not enough to go on. If he seems healthy, as in 'not worried about respiratory problem", then it's probably nothing. Is it getting 'worse' or is it 'normal'?

2A. Sophie flicks her tongue around her mouth a lot. Always has. I've never found a resource that describes the function of the behavior. Hedgehogs have quite long tongues. I've always wondered about that as well. These things don't evolve by accident.

2B. Lip smacking probably has no connection to teeth problems. While on the subject -- my vet feels pretty strongly that kibble should crushed into small pieces. I'm in pretty solid agreement that that is a smart thing to do. Sophie doesn't get dry food anymore, but when she did I quartered the pieces with a box cutter blade. This gave me really small pieces. And, the leftovers were countable, which was good for keeping her consumption log.
GoodandPlenty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2013, 02:14 AM   #3 (permalink)

I'm not a mom yet, but will be soon, I have a question. I'm getting a baby, should s/he eat puppy/kitten food and when you say mix or blend, is it equal parts? What about fruits/veggies, at what age and what kind are they fed?
Sheliy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2013, 02:35 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheliy View Post
I'm not a mom yet, but will be soon, I have a question. I'm getting a baby, should s/he eat puppy/kitten food and when you say mix or blend, is it equal parts? What about fruits/veggies, at what age and what kind are they fed?
Sheliy, I'd suggest you to read this:
http://https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/12-diet-nutrition/17725-treat-list-safe-fruits-veggies.html

Last edited by Mel_W; 09-26-2013 at 02:37 AM.
Mel_W is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2013, 07:36 AM   #5 (permalink)

I believe the clicks just mean the hedgie's not very happy with you. Like a hiss, but just a different sound. My girl used to click when I woke her up, now she just huffs and hisses.
MochiAndMe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2013, 10:47 AM   #6 (permalink)

Clicking is a step up from huffing and puffing. That is a very angry hog.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
grins&needles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2013, 10:57 AM   #7 (permalink)

He gets so mad when I pick him up or touch him but he's such a happy hedgie when I leave him alone and let him play or put him on my chest. I don't know what to do so he stops getting so mad. The lip smacking is more like inside his mouth. I might try cutting them but the slightest change he might throw a fit. HOW DO I MAKE HIM HAPPY lol
Clydes_Momma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2013, 12:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

I know its possible too because when we picked Clyde up from the breeders, he was a loving hedgehog that loved to be picked up and played with. He even crawled up and down Andrew (my boyfriend) without a single problem. So this isn't his personality to act like this at all.
Clydes_Momma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2013, 12:48 PM   #9 (permalink)

He's quilling I'd bet!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
ajweekley likes this.
grins&needles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2013, 03:10 PM   #10 (permalink)

I agree with grins -- he may just be quilling. Even if he's gone through his previous quilling with no issues, this one might just be a little harder on him and he's cranky. The fact that he gets mad when you touch him, but is perfectly happy to just be on your chest, indicates to me that something might be bothering him. Maybe his skin is sore and it hurts him when you touch him.

I'd inspect him for mites, and if that's not the issue, just wait it out. Don't stop handling him, but try to keep your interactions as stress-free as possible. If he likes to hang out on your chest, let him do that.

Also, with the lip smacking, Gertie does that too. I don't think that's anything to worry about. But, as always, if it's a new behavior and something doesn't feel right to you, it never hurts to get a check-up at the vet.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in