first time hedgie owner! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By abbys
  • 1 Post By zamxonk
  • 1 Post By nerdyhero

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2013, 12:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Talking first time hedgie owner!

Hey! i will be getting my first hedgehog this month and i want to be sure he is happy and healthy.I have been researching hedgies for ages!! but i still have questions.also my hedgie is almost 2 months old (yes i do know he is young)
so here are my questions:
-i need to drive about 2 hours to get to the breeder and i will be in the backseat with the hedgie, is there anything i can do to make it feel better?
-can i try handeling him the first day?
-how old does he have to be when i first take him outside(i will ony take him out when he gets used to me.)
-do i need to bring his cage to the breeder or does he come in a little box?
thank you so much! and wish me luck!!
nerdyhero is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2013, 01:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

Welcome to the forum!

- It would be best if you had a crate or box you could put him in and strap down with the seat belt. If you hold him in your lap and there's an accident he could go flying. I have this one and like it because it has a special slot for the seat belt: http://www.petco.com/product/111728/...CarriersCrates

- Absolutely!

- I'd wait until he's been with you for a month or two so he's all settled in to his new home. It would also be good to wait until you get to know his personality and behavior so you can better predict how he'll act outside so he doesn't escape. But as long as it's warm enough outside and you're in a place that's safe (you could get a big enclosed pet pen so you don't have to worry about him running away), I guess you could take him outside any time.

- It depends on the breeder. You can give them a call and ask just to double check.

Good luck!
nerdyhero likes this.
Old 09-22-2013, 02:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

If you can, make sure won't slide around too much on the floor of the carrier while you're in the car. Put down something with traction, or stuff enough fleece that the hedgie will be cradled. When I brought Ambrose home, he barfed in the carrier, I don't think I put enough padding in. When we've take subsequent trips on public transit, I made the decision to put his hedgie-bag in my shirt (partially for temperature reasons as well, as it was summer and they freakin' REFRIGERATE transit then) and I think the combination of my familiar smell and being cradled firmly helped, because he just napped all the way to the vet and back (2hrs round trip).

I would definitely put him in a carrier for a car trip, 100%. I do have reservations about putting him in my shirt versus a carrier for trips on public transit, I don't make that choice lightly. But I think the chances of accident are low enough to make it worth it to prioritize not getting carsick.
nerdyhero likes this.
zamxonk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2013, 07:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

thank you so much!!
Old 09-22-2013, 07:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

thanks sadly i have to take the bus. so if he gets sick i will put him in my shirt with his cuddle sack!
Old 09-23-2013, 01:46 AM   #6 (permalink)

Yeah. Just remember that your new hedgie doesn't know you yet and may not trust you, so putting him in your shirt may make him nervous - that would be a normal response!

Also, sometimes hedgies poop LIKE WHOAH when they are nervous, and if he gets carsick, he will barf, so bring a few extra fleece blankets and an extra hedgie bag, just in case!
zamxonk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2013, 01:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

hahaha i was thinking of that! o yeah i will try to make him cozy!! wish me luck!!!!!
zamxonk likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in