Should I get another one... - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2009, 10:53 AM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Should I get another one...

I hope my post isn't in the wrong section, mods, feel free to move it.

One of my friend who already has a headgehog had taken in a "rescue". She came from a coworker that didn't wanted her anymore. Now she's talking me in the idea of getting her but I'm not sure and I'd like advice/opinion, honest ones.

Financially, it's a bit hard. I'm saving up to buy Litchi a new cage and wheel she desperatly need. With the new cage, I need a new "stand" my dady will build. Since the new girl come in tha same Zoo Zone cage, I'll have to get another cage. I don't know about the wheel cause my friend didn't have it because the co-worker need to wash it. I have a place for quarentaine, that's not a problem and of course I need to think about the vet (thankfully they do discounts for multiples). But there's only a free spot in my living room (one quarantaine is over) near the door, dar from the electric heating. I'm affraid she would get cold and I would need a space heater. I also have to think about that.

I'm so tempted because she's a nice girl, she never huffed and she's way tame than Litchi. But I would need to be more stick with my commitment (even if I don't get the other hedgehog). I've been tired/occupied and didn't get her out for playtime as much as I should. I need to think about that too. I'm wondering, after quarentaine, can I let them out both at the same time (after beeing sure she's a female...)?

I'd apreciate any imput, I don't want to make impulse decision and some people might tell me something I didn't tought about.

Gone, but never forgotten
Etsy shop: K52 artworks
K52 artworks on Facebook
FiaSpice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2009, 11:03 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Should I get another one...

If it's possible, give it a week to think about it. Oftentimes during that time you start having feelings like it's not a good idea- if you think it's not the best idea, don't! If you think it's a great opportunity and want to help, go for it! I think just go with what you feel will be the best for you to handle.

I've fallen victim to impulse buying and giving it a week to think definitely helps me realize that if I had jumped into a situation, that it wouldn't have been the best choice. (not that taking this girl would be a bad idea, just giving an example of the anti-impulse method. )

I would say that if you are mainly concerned with costs, just ask yourself if you can handle vet bills for them both. If you can, I would get her. I'm sure she will be fine in the ZooZone for a bit until you can get/make a new cage.

LizardGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2009, 11:22 AM   #3 (permalink)

What lizard girl said

Also, for space, if you are saving for a new cage and they are both girls, maybe you can make a cheaper coroplast and cubes set up that is multiple level so they are stacked in the same place. That way you wouldn't need to worry about the heating being too far away if litchi is okay, and the cage would be low-cost but good for them, and they would be stacked so less space? Just a thought, obviously not sure if it would work in your situation but if you do feel you would like her it may be an option

edit to add: after quarantine, hehehe. of course

Old 09-03-2009, 11:46 AM   #4 (permalink)

It's a great thing that you're taking the time to think things over before, as others have said, taking a few days to think things through will definitely bring you to a decision either way.

As for the cage, I would also recommend making a 2 level C&C cage (you can see mine in the housing forum titled gigantic). I just finished making mine and for approx. 100$ and I have 2 huge cages for my girls stacked one above the other. You can find the instructions to make them here: http://www.guineapigcages.com/howto.htm

For supplies around Montreal to make them I've found the cube sets at Canadian Tire (Atwater location has tons), some at Walmart and Rona. The coroplast can be found at Omer de Serres in multiple colors and is quite affordable even for the largest sheet (4' x 8').

Good luck, think things through and give an update of course!

Cheers
Anny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2009, 12:27 PM   #5 (permalink)

LizardGirl, you're right, I should myself some time to thing about it. "Unfortunatly" I canot avoid my friend since I help her move, I'm her only friend with a car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitfreak

Also, for space, if you are saving for a new cage and they are both girls, maybe you can make a cheaper coroplast and cubes set up that is multiple level so they are stacked in the same place. That way you wouldn't need to worry about the heating being too far away if litchi is okay, and the cage would be low-cost but good for them, and they would be stacked so less space? Just a thought, obviously not sure if it would work in your situation but if you do feel you would like her it may be an option

edit to add: after quarantine, hehehe. of course
I'm not a fan of those coroplast cage and, no offence to those who likes them, I think they're not that beautifull and practical to me (I use bedding). Since it's the living room where I'm 80% of the time, I prefet the cage to be to my liking. I suck at DIY and I couldn't stack the cage anyway since the top cage would be in the window.

Thanks Anny for the hints, but I'm not actually IN Montreal, cause most people doesn't have a clue where Laval is. If I was to build a CnC cages, I would wait after the upcoming election, free coroplast for everyone!

K52 artworks on Facebook
Old 09-03-2009, 12:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

Costco used to have the very best price for cubes that I've seen but they don't always have them. They also have multiple colours to choose from. Take a look there first or else watch to see if Canadian Tire puts them on sale.

Coroplast is only $12 per 4' x 8' sheet so not a huge financial outlay.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2009, 03:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiaSpice
I'm not a fan of those coroplast cage and, no offence to those who likes them, I think they're not that beautifull and practical to me (I use bedding).
To be quite honest, I wasn't a fan of C&C cages when I first saw them myself. I think they look a bit gawdy lol (still do but I've gotten over my first reactions to them)! It's far from being the best looking cage in my opinion but they sure are practical! Since I've switched my Kiwi to it and recently added my little Stella on the second floor I find it very easy to take care of them and give them tons of space at the same time. Each floor has 7 square feet!

The DIY part wasn't much fun, I won't pretend that making the coroplast "trays" was a blast. It took some time but for the cost was well worth it. I don't think it would be much of an issue if you use wood chip bedding, as you can make the tray sides up as high as you want. The cubes were easy to put together though and that part was more fun.

Not trying to convince you here, I know that if it's not your thing it's not gonna work It's just that for me I found the cost vs end product was worth it for my girls.

BTW, the Safari store in my neck of the woods had nice big rabbit cages for sale a few days ago at 90$ a peice plus taxes. For the size that they were it seemed like quite a good deal.

Wood chip bedding has it's pros and cons. Having just switched my girls over to liners I can say that for me this has been a blessing!!! First, I find that my girls will go much more in their litter boxes to do their business (very good plus!!!) and I don't have to deal with wood chips all over the place. Second, my girls love their blankies, bags, etc and now they aren't covered in wood chips from the "velcro+chip" factor Cleaning up is a breeze too with just throwing the dirty liners in the washing machine and putting down clean ones.
Anny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2009, 10:07 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anny
BTW, the Safari store in my neck of the woods had nice big rabbit cages for sale a few days ago at 90$ a peice plus taxes. For the size that they were it seemed like quite a good deal.

Wood chip bedding has it's pros and cons. Having just switched my girls over to liners I can say that for me this has been a blessing!!! First, I find that my girls will go much more in their litter boxes to do their business (very good plus!!!) and I don't have to deal with wood chips all over the place. Second, my girls love their blankies, bags, etc and now they aren't covered in wood chips from the "velcro+chip" factor Cleaning up is a breeze too with just throwing the dirty liners in the washing machine and putting down clean ones.
Back in June I saw, at my local Safari, one at 79$, that's the one I plan to buy. I don't use wood but Yeaterday's news. I tried liner with Litchi and it was a huge big mess. I might try again with proper ones, but I'm not sure it will works.

K52 artworks on Facebook
Old 09-08-2009, 10:35 AM   #9 (permalink)

There's been change of plan now and instead of taking my friend's second hedgehog, I'm taking a female from the humaine society. Gonna see her this week-end.

K52 artworks on Facebook
Old 09-08-2009, 10:59 AM   #10 (permalink)

Good for you!

LizardGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in