Soon to be mom :) - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2009, 06:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Soon to be mom :)

Hi everyone! I am new to the site and just wanted to ask a few questions. First off, i have never been joined to a forum before so bare with me if im doing anything wrong lol. Ok, so this is the thing... I am waiting on a little boy hedgehog from someone who bred theirs, they arnt a real breeder or anything, just someone who wanted a litter from there pets im guessing. My little boy is around 4 weeks old and the Person is letting me take him at 6 weeks. Is that a ok age? They said it was so i am assuming it is, but im just curious. Anwyays, the second question is, is what kind of treats can i give my little boy? And how many of the treats can i give him? Last, what exactly is quilling? iv herd about it and the person told me it will happen when i get him but i am not sure what it is.

Any help would be greatful

Thanks!!

Oh, and his name is Hedgie. I know, I know... lol
Makenzie&Hedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2009, 08:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Zalea Send a message via MSN to Zalea
Default Re: Soon to be mom :)

6 weeks is an okay age IF he's eating on his own and not still relying on momma for food. He should be able to eat and drink from a bowl before you can take him away. Typically they start doing so by 5 weeks, but you need to make sure before you take him away from the mother.

Get some of the food from them that they've been feeding, a ziplock sandwich bag should be sufficient, so that there's not a tummy upset from diet change. If they're feeding a food you want to keep, you can go buy a bag of it yourself; if you want to change the food, you need to wait two weeks or so before starting the gradual transition to another brand. Any of these foods are suitable: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15

Take a look around the diet and nutrition board for treat ideas. There is a safe fruits and veggies list. Mealworms are usually a hit, as well. When it comes to treats, wait to introduce new foods for a week or two so your hedgie can settle in.

Quilling is where the baby quills are being replaced by adult quills. At this time he'll have new quills poking through the skin, and will be itchy and irritable. Think of it as though he's teething. It's the same kind of phase babies go through. Some are total grumps during the time. You can give him a bath with colloidal oatmeal in the water to help soothe his skin.

Welcome to HHC.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks so soooo much! That helped me out a lot. So about the oatmeal stuff..where can i buy it from? iv never herd of it before? Is it something i just pour into the bath water?

thanks again

Oh, and i have a post under the "color" section, if you don't mind commenting it

Makenzie&Hedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 12:10 AM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Zalea Send a message via MSN to Zalea

It's usually sold in the pharmacy section. Most people get the Aveeno brand, but any 100% colloidal oatmeal solution will work. It's basically packets of powder that you mix into the water.

I'm not very good with colors so you wouldn't want my assistance there. I CAN tell you, though, that you won't be able to tell his true color until he's 9 weeks or older because it may change when he quills. (Quilling happens between 8 and 12 weeks, by the way. It can last a week or it can last months depending on individual hedgies.) After that time, you can check the color list and post pictures if you're unsure.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in