A few questions about Hedgehogs - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Nancy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2013, 01:31 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default A few questions about Hedgehogs

Hello, I'm probably going to be getting a hedgehog soon, but before I do I just want to make sure I know looots of stuff hehe:P I have a few questions:

1. How much should I feed my hedgehog? (I've been trying to figure this out for a few days and lots of people say to free feed your hedgehog, but since I've never owned one before I would like to know pretty much exactly how much I should be feeding him/her)

2. When should I be feeding my hedgehog? (same as above)

3. Whats the best diet for him/her? (Once again, same as above sorry:P )

4. What are some good food brands for my hedgehog?

5. Would a male or a female hedgehog be better? Like more sociable, if the genders make a difference

6. How much human interaction do they need?

That's it so far Sorry I'm asking all theese questions, but my local pet store isn't very informed about hedgehogs. Also sorry about the food questions, I just want to know the basic amount for a hedgehog's diet because I don't want to overfeed him/her.
RegieHedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2013, 01:40 AM   #2 (permalink)

1. I free hand my hedgie but they usually say 2 TBSP a day
2. Usually at night
3. high protein 30-35%, fat no higher then 15%
4. chicken soup for the cat lovers soul, wellness (others might be able to better answer this. Usually they say have a mix of 2 different kinds so that if there is a recall or something you have it.
5. interaction just usually depends on the hedgehog themself so male or female doesn't matter.
6. Minimum 30 minutes a day. better to do earlier in the evening or at night

RIP my baby boy Sonic 28/01/13 - 06/06/15
hemigirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2013, 02:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tom

Adding on to hemigirl's reply- "high protein" does not mean 30-35%. High protein is 40+ % which isn't recommended.

For food- many hedgehogs don't handle wellness that well but some do. Avoid anything with corn/maize/etc and make sure the first ingredient or two are a meat protein source (some exceptions- like Natural Balance Duck & Pea)

Having a mix of around 3 foods is recommended for variety since the exact needs of hedgehogs aren't known so having a mix gives you a better chance of fulfilling the needs. And in case one of the foods has a recall you can phase that out while still having foods that the hedgehog is used to.

I have :

Blue Buffalo Weight Control Chicken & Rice
Solid Gold Catz & Flokin Lamb
Natures Balance Duck & Pea.

Free feeding is what you should do unless there's an overweight problem (even then - it's better to just lower the fat at first)

Good brands are Blue Buffalo, Chicken Soup For The Cat Lovers Soul (light), etc. There's plenty of threads about good foods.

30 minutes interaction minimum a day- which isn't hard to do. More is good. Take him or her out and in a cuddle sack and watch a movie while he/she sleeps, etc.

Old 09-07-2013, 02:56 AM   #4 (permalink)

When my small friend was growth-spurting, he ate up to 2Tbs/night. Now he's full-grown, he eats about 1Tbs/night. I've heard of hedgehogs eating up to 1/4c/night.

I put out food each evening, before he wakes up. I leave it out overnight, check on it in the morning, leave it out during the day (although he's never been a daytime-snacker, I've heard of others who are), then dump everything to refresh with new food the next night.

We go through about 1 small bag of catfood per month, although we're using a mix of different brands (the recall-issue!) so it's actually 3 bags every 3 months.
Annie&Tibbers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2013, 08:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

Ditto what Tom said about high protein. The recommendation of a high protein food was started many years ago when 35% was the highest protein level sold. Now some of the foods have protein levels significantly higher, 40 -50% which is much too high.

Perhaps we should start saying mid range protein, or leave it out totally and just say 30-35% protein, or no higher than 35%.
Tom likes this.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2013, 12:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

Okay, thanks guys, this has helped me alot
RegieHedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2013, 02:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

Check out LizardGirl's free care book (downloadable in pdf format) http://www.westcoasthedgehogs.com/fi...ook/index.html

I think it'll answer a lot of your questions, and is consistent with what most forum members will tell you.
zamxonk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in