New Baby Hedgehog - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kingem

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2013, 12:36 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default New Baby Hedgehog

Hi!

I have had my hedgehog, Toby, for about 2.5 weeks now, and he was about 8 weeks old when I got him. He seems to be adjusting fine, but I was wondering how long it generally takes hedgehogs to become completely comfortable with their new owners. Toby is fine with being held, but he isn't particularly social with me. Also, he only comes out from his hideaway when it's dark, and if I turn on the light while he's out, he just goes back in. Is this normal? I was wondering if there's anything I can do to help him learn to trust me. He is okay sleeping on my lap or in my hand while I am studying, so he is great company. Will he ever interact with me more than that?

If anyone has any tips relating to general hedgehog care, please let me know! Also, will Toby become more active during the day at some point? All he wants to do is sleep, and I feel bad waking him up!

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Toby1.jpg (109.8 KB, 17 views)
kingem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2013, 12:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum!

Short answer: All of that is perfectly normal! Most hedgehogs don't want to be out & about with a light on, and will hide if you turn one on while they're out in their cage. Any light being on can discourage some hedgehogs from ever getting up during the night, so it's an important thing to consider if they're in a room you use frequently.

Interaction can be hard to tell - some hedgehogs end up being more affectionate, but most don't, to be honest. They're best at sleeping on you, or maybe wandering around you as they explore, if that's their thing. But they mostly make a good lap-warmer. Keep in mind as well, he's still a baby and they sleep a LOT. So he might start to be more interactive in a few months, as he starts to grow out of the baby stage and as he's getting more comfortable with you - but that's not a guarantee, either.

That goes for the last subject too - he's going to sleep a lot, whether in his cage or on you. Hedgehogs aren't typically active much or at all during the day, and many won't wake up on their own until past 9-10 pm, sometimes even later. Most owners do just wake them up for cuddle time. If you pick a time (shooting for sometime in the evening is best, at least 6 or later - the later it is, the more likely he'll occasionally be more active when he's out) and stick with it, he'll come to expect that you're going to wake him around then and get used to the routine.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2013, 12:45 AM   #3 (permalink)

Hedgehogs are nocturnal, so it's not that he doesn't trust you, he's just active at night and that's why he comes out when you turn the light off. That won't change, so try to follow his internal clock, but it's ok if you get him out to cuddle and play in the later afternoon/evening.

Some hedgehogs like to play and explore and some don't, so he may just prefer snuggling in your shirt. Just depends on his personality.

Do you have a heat source set up for his cage?

Browse the forum a bit and you'll find tons of information. And this is a great comprehensive care guide: http://www.westcoasthedgehogs.com/fi...ook/index.html

Edited: I'm just gonna stop trying to answer these because Lilysmommy always beats me to it!

Old 09-07-2013, 12:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Sorry! I should really get a life and stop stalking the forum... I keep thinking I'm going to end up being annoying with posting so much. I don't want to cause others to actually not post!

Old 09-07-2013, 01:03 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilysmommy View Post
Sorry! I should really get a life and stop stalking the forum... I keep thinking I'm going to end up being annoying with posting so much. I don't want to cause others to actually not post!
No no no! I didn't mean it like that! I'm just a painfully slow typist! You always provide invaluable information and are never annoying. I promise to keep posting at a snail's pace if you promise to stay.
Old 09-07-2013, 01:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I guessed you didn't, but it's something I've been worried about before, so I'm just paranoid.

Old 09-07-2013, 08:56 AM   #7 (permalink)

Lilysmommy, you are awesome! I know you've been a huge help to me.

Kingem, Lilysmommy's first post was spot-on. A lot of hedgehogs don't really "interact" much -- if you're getting cuddles this early in the game, that's awesome! Hedgehogs are solitary by nature, so they don't often play and do some of the things that other pets do with their owners. But if he's cuddling with you, that's awesome. Sounds like he trusts you just fine.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:39 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thank you guys so much! That was very helpful! Toby cuddles every once and a while. I really hope he starts doing it more often! I usually just bring a small piece of fleece for him to sleep under while I'm holding him. It seems to make him feel more comfortable.
Lilysmommy likes this.
kingem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2013, 02:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

My hedgehog is an explorer, so when he's out and awake, he gets really annoyed if I try to interact with him while HE IS BUSY DOING THINGS, PARENT, SO BACK OFF (he hisses a bunch but doesn't bother to quill up, sometimes tries to bite if I'm really irritating him). He's not a natural snuggler and he won't run around at all if the light is too bright (dimmest setting on my bedside lamp is okay).

For those reasons, I actually prefer our daytime cuddle times. He'll peek out of his bag at me, he'll flop onto his back, occasionally he'll even come out into the open to sleep splatted on my chest. This feels much more like hedgie affection than anything that happens while he's awake. I still enjoy playpen time because he does adorable things, but it's definitely not an affection-filled "oh i lurve my human" time.
zamxonk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in