Introduction - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2009, 08:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Introduction

Hi All

I wanted to introduce myself. I am on day 2 with my first hedgie. I tried finding what I needed via search but nothing seemed to fit the bill. Seems many of you newbies are natural born hedgie parents. Myself, I have no clue what I'm doing. I give treats to get Hazel to unroll, talk softly & pet with confidence, (down the quills, not on tummy yet though she did allow me to stroke a side. I've been pooped on plenty so you'd think that would make us best buds! She was so friendly at the breeders, small kids and all. With me, not so much. The most luck I seem to be having is right now (Does she know I'm talking about her?). She's on a towel- given the regularity of her pooping I thought that was the one smart thing I could do-- on my lap, quills down, in a semi-ball. If anyone can reassure me and give me hints I would be so grateful.
PyroDancer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2009, 09:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

Default Re: Introduction

Relax. She will be fine and so will you. It is very normal for the babies to be great at the breeders and quilly bundles when you get them home. Think of it this way. In the past 2 weeks, that baby has lost everything she knew in her life. She has left her mom and the security of the cage she has known all her life. Her siblings are gone as are the humans she knew. No wonder they are nervous.

Be slow and gentle with her and give her some time and she will soon realize you are safe.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2009, 10:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

Pooping is gonna be an issue for the first few weeks, (Sonic being an exception, it took him 4 days to get used to me) once your hedgehog gets used to u handling it, it well hold off on the poop and pee department. Also hissing may always happen until you let your hedgehog sniff your finger, then he may climb up on ur hand. Also try not using treats all the time, try to stay away from using treats for the first week, I didn't give Sonic any treats. That's so he gets used to trust me, then he gets a treat. The only problem I have is him loving his wheel too much lol.
gyaku is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 12:20 AM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Bengall77

It gets better, I promise!She's a baby and he just went through a traumatic experience of leaving her home and everything she has ever known. So it will take her a few weeks to get used to you and your house. I've had my Quillbert for two weeks and he just now lets me pet and hold him without a whole lot of huffing. He still huffs when I wake him up or if I move suddenly but he is starting to trust me.

After you have had her for a week or two try introducing a treat like mealworms. She may not eat it right away so try leaving 2-3 in a separate bowl in her cage. Once they start to disappear you can offer them during bonding time. Any sooner than a week or two can cause an already upset tummy from stress to worsen, though, so it is important to wait a bit.

Try searching the site for stuff about bonding. You'll find that most people recommend a quiet, dim room with a place for her to hide like a hedgie bag or a fleece blanket. You can also wear a t-shirt to bed 2 or 3 time and place it in her cage for about a week to get her used to your scent.

Also, if you haven't seen the warnings about towels please note that terry cloth or loose weave items are ok during supervised bonding/bath time, but never leave it alone with your hedige as their little nails and toes can get caught. At the very least you have an upset/trapped hedgie, at the worst their toe or foot will have to be amputated.
Bengall77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2009, 12:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

My original bonding time with Ender was just sitting on the couch with him in his hedgie bag in my lap while I played on my lap top or watched tv. After a couple weeks, he handled being handled (and rolled out of his bag) a lot better.

The treat thing didn't work for me. He doesn't seem to want to eat from my hand, or during the day unless its his crunchies.

Jodi
jopenguin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2009, 05:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks everyone for the support. Made me feel alot better! Oh something I didn't expect at all? The popping. Huffing- yes. Quilling up- yes. But that popping is funny and oh so effective (ouch). I offer treats some of the time. I get it that I don't want Hazel to be dependent on them. No, I didn't know about towels. Wow! Thanks. So here's a picture of our time together so far: Hold her in a rolled up tee-shirt on my lap. Eventually she starts squirming and poops.I let her have a good run around in a dimly lit room. Then back in her cage. Trying to introduce her to drinking from a bottle and to run on a wheel.
Susan
Old 08-16-2009, 06:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

Did you read some of the posts about bottle vs. bowl before you made the decision to switch to a bottle. You should do a search. Most people on here prefer bowls because they are safer and more natural for hedgie to drink out of. Some have had success with bottles but you have to be very careful with them and still change the water daily.

RIP Quigley, I miss you my little grumpus.
hedgielover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2009, 12:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks for the info on bottle vs bowl. I hung a bottle next to the bowl so she has a choice .....in time if she took to the bottle great, if not..... oh well. I was just concerned because she knocked the water bowl over the other day.
Susan
Old 08-19-2009, 12:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

If they knock bowls over, they are not the proper bowl. They need a low, straight sided, wide based ceramic bowl. Don't use plastic and don't use ones where the sides taper narrower at the bottom as they are way too easy to tip. A bowl about 1" deep and 4-6" across are ideal.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in