my hedgie is a hissapotamus - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Lilysmommy
  • 1 Post By ajweekley

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2013, 10:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default my hedgie is a hissapotamus

He seems irritable at all points. When I take him out he's happier to sit around or explore rather than be touched or handled at all. He hisses a lot if you touch him and I've noticed a few quills here and there that have fallen out. I've read about quilling and Buck is about 8 weeks old. Could he be quilling? What could I do to help him? We have another hedgie named Charlie but he seems to be out of his quilling stage. He's around 13 or 14 weeks old. Thanks for any help you could give me.
Briana91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2013, 10:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

He absolutely could be quilling. When his quills fall out, is there a follicle attached? If so, then he's quilling. If not, he could have mites.

And another thing to keep in mind is that hedgehogs have different personalities, just like people and dogs and most other animals. Some like to cuddle, some prefer to roam and sniff, some run for hours and hours (so much that they need more fat in their diets than other hedgies). Buck might be an explorer instead of a cuddler, and that's ok. Keep trying though -- don't keep your distance, because you want him to be familiar with you and associate you with safety and food and happiness. But if he always prefers to roam around instead of snuggling with you, that will be ok too.
ajweekley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2013, 10:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

He enjoys snuggling and he let's me pick him up without balling but he doesn't seem to like being handled. Sometimes I can stroke him a few times and he won't get upset but other times he just gets upset. He never likes to stray too far. He prefers to climb mount human over anything else unlike our other hedgie, charlie. Charlie just usually enjoys running around everywhere. So what can I do if he's quilling? From what I've seen there is a follicle yes.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Sounds like he's just an explorer. Some hedgies are like that - they prefer to run around over being touched or held. Best thing to do is accept that that's his personality and find ways to enjoy him that way. You said he likes to climb you - let him do that. Set up a playpen or hedgie-safe room and lay on the floor & watch him explore. You can hide treats for him and watch him sniff them out - Lily loved doing that in her cage.

Also, the follicle being at the end of the quill thing is a myth - whether it's there or not gives no indication of whether there's mites or not.
ajweekley likes this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2013, 10:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

If he is quilling, you can try giving him oatmeal baths (a bath with a sock of oatmeal) to sooth itchy skin, or drizzle oil (olive, flaxseed) either directly on him or his food to ease dry skin.
Annie&Tibbers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2013, 10:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

I'll keep a look out for more quills and if he is quilling I'll invest in some flax seed oil. Thanks for all your help guys
Old 08-21-2013, 07:07 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilysmommy View Post

Also, the follicle being at the end of the quill thing is a myth - whether it's there or not gives no indication of whether there's mites or not.
Thanks for that!
Lilysmommy likes this.
ajweekley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2013, 08:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks for all your help guys. I really appreciate it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in