Is My Hedgie Overweight - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2013, 01:53 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Is My Hedgie Overweight

Ok so this could fall under Health or Diet and Nutrition so I decided to put it here. Out of lack of not really knowing which to put it under. No I do not have a scale I need to get one which I plan on doing as soon as I have the extra cash. I know a lot of people have had hedgies for a million years. I'm worried that sonic may be overweight. I figure you may be able to tell by looking at his picture when he is balled up.
He runs on his wheel nightly (still amazes me how much they just go). Some nights he runs more then others. I am feeding him Ultra Performatrin Grain-free formula. This is what they were feeding at the petstore and said that the breeder said it was ok. I was going through the food list didn't see it there. Deboned turkey is the first on the list but then I got thinking that maybe the protein and fat is to high. He doesn't have a problem unballing or any other issues. Should I change his food? I usually free hand feed him but my hand equals up to about 2 tablespoons, he doesn't eat all his food in a night so I'm not usually adding more unless it looks to be on the low side. All depends how active he gets. He will run on his wheel and then stop, eat, start running, repeat. LOL
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2666.jpg (257.9 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2788.jpg (171.7 KB, 54 views)

RIP my baby boy Sonic 28/01/13 - 06/06/15
hemigirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2013, 02:00 AM   #2 (permalink)

Can he roll into a complete ball? When you look at him from above does his sides hang out a bit? The fat and protein is a bit high. I'd switch to a lower fat food. You should still free feed him so he still eats the same amount.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:01 AM   #3 (permalink)

I'm not an expert, so definitely wait until someone with more experience drops by and give their input, but he does look a bit chubby to me. It's great that he's really active! From what I've seen on the forums (and I have spent a LOT of time reading posts here), people generally get their hedgies in shape by transitioning to a lower fat food and encouraging exercise if necessary.

The food you're feeding, if you calculate the percentage of fat on a dry matter basis, is 20% fat - fine for hedgies that have trouble keeping weight on, but it doesn't sound like your guy has that problem. Generally 15% is the maximum fat content you'd want, lower usually is better. If you get a lower fat food or two and gradually introduce them to his current kibble, that could be enough to slim him down a little bit.
zamxonk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 02:04 AM   #4 (permalink)

Since we have gotten him and he has been comfortable with us that is as far as I've gotten him or seen him ball up. When he is laying down on his stomach his butt hangs out some that is about it. Hubby says he has rolled in a complete ball on him though....never me HAHAHA. Never seen his sides hanging out. As soon as I can I will slowly switch his food. I heard you shouldn't switch all at once cause they may not like it? What is the highest protein I should aim for? I know fat is 15%. Then it would be finding the best food to get him. I just wanna make sure that everything is right and there is none that can actually hurt him. So advice on best food brand would be awesome too...if it helps I'm in Canada and I know that sometimes we have different stuff then the US.

Last edited by hemigirl; 08-20-2013 at 02:09 AM.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:08 AM   #5 (permalink)

You wanna do a gradual food switch to avoid stomach upset. Some hedgies though have other ideas. I had to do a complete food switch with Sonic. As soon as he tasted cat food he never touched hedgehog food again. Between 30-35% protein is what you want.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:11 AM   #6 (permalink)

That is good to know thank you Sonic's1andonlygirl. My sonic has never had hedgie food. One pet store tried selling me it and I read somewhere once that some hedgie food isn't good for them so I said no way no how.

Old 08-20-2013, 02:13 AM   #7 (permalink)

Mine came from a pet store so that's what he was feed at first. Hedgehog food is very bad. It's got no meat what so ever and some actually have raisins and seeds in them which aren't good for hedgies.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:15 AM   #8 (permalink)

zamxonk thank you for the information. I've tried to encourage more exercise ontop of his wheel running. Usually every day he is out in the hall having playing time with his tube only toy he likes for at least an hour. Sometimes I worry that is to much but he gets real angry when I say play time is over. But other then that I cannot convince him to run on his wheel unless the lights are out the tv is off and he thinks no one is around him. I think he is wheel shy.

Old 08-20-2013, 02:18 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonics1AndOnlyGirl View Post
Mine came from a pet store so that's what he was feed at first. Hedgehog food is very bad. It's got no meat what so ever and some actually have raisins and seeds in them which aren't good for hedgies.
I'm happy I said no about it then. When I am out and about tomorrow I will go check out the food store and take pics of the different foods. Maybe someone can also advise me on the best ones. I just wanna make sure I make the right choices as I want my sonic to stick around as long as possible and I may be a slightly over paranoid mommy. LOL

Old 08-20-2013, 02:23 AM   #10 (permalink)

See if your pet store lets you return partial opened bags -- sometimes hedgehogs get really picky about what food they will or won't eat.

If you're transitioning anyway, it's a pretty good idea to have a mix of foods covering at least two brands, so that if one of them has a recall, you still have something to feed him!

Sounds pretty normal about the wheeling-in-the-dark. Playtime totally counts as exercise if he's running around exploring, tubing, or whatever else. Never give up potential hedgehog-snuggle time!
Annie&Tibbers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in