New Hedgie Owner here...any advice? - Page 2 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2013, 03:20 AM   #11 (permalink)

I have a similar sized cage - I compensate by taking him out for playtime every night, often in different parts of the house, so he gets to smell new things, try to eat new things out of the carpet, try to wedge himself into new places, etc! I do this after he's woken up for the night, eaten a bit, and had a good run and poo on his wheel (~9:30pm). He has a playpen ~3x the size of his cage too, although when I put him in there, he usually just runs on his wheel. I think right now your hedgehog is probably adjusting to the new place - everything smells new and different and therefore scary, and will take time for him to feel safe enough to explore at length.

I second hedgie-proofing your dorm room, and also get or DIY a playpen that you can put in different spaces (friends' dorm rooms! The hallway! The common room!) to give him some variety of scenery. I cut up a long cardboard box into 4x1ft wide strips and taped them together into a loop for my pig's pen. He sometimes tries to chew the tape and the cardboard, and I think he could wriggle under it if he were really determined, so I have to supervise when he's in it, but it works fine (with a bit of intervention and redirection) and was free, so it's good for now!

As long as he's getting handled regularly, gets out and about decently often, and loves his wheel, I don't think you'll have much trouble with the cage you have. Look up signs of stress and boredom, so you'd recognize symptoms if you saw 'em, and take your cues from your pig. Nights I don't take Ambrose out, he often pulls his snuggle bag inside out, burrows under his liner, folds his litter liner under his wheel, and generally wreaks havoc.
zamxonk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2013, 09:44 AM   #12 (permalink)

Thanks so much! I notice he doesn't come out for the night until late... like 3 am. But that's after being handled a few times during the day, and he's only been here a few days. Maybe he's still adjusting? Or is that a normal time?

I will definitely have to make him a playpen. the cardboard one would be really easy. I'm in a suite setting so i could use the hallway and common room etc.
muziek713 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2013, 01:23 PM   #13 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Babies sleep a LOT, so that's pretty normal for them to get up late or only stay up for a few hours. As long as he's eating, drinking, and pooping/peeing, he should be just fine.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 02:30 PM   #14 (permalink)

If I don't intervene and wake him for playtime, my small friend wakes up on his own at 9:30 for breakfast, takes a small (15min) jog, poops, and returns to sleep until 11pm, when he repeats the cycle. Around 1am, he wakes up for solo-playtime interspersed with naps, with quick warm-up jogs on the wheel interrupted by cage-exploring. He doesn't get seriously running until 2am.

If he's playing with his people (human-wake-up call is always after 7pm, usually after 9pm), the timing gets all wonky, but he still gets hyperactive at 2am and demands his wheel even if he has the whole house to explore.

If he's had a daytime disturbance (meeting visitors, vet visit, cage cleaning day), no matter how short the disturbance, his entire schedule shifts back by 2 hours.

So, yeah, 3am-peak-activity sounds entirely normal and fine.
Annie&Tibbers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2013, 02:07 AM   #15 (permalink)

Just make sure you get some carpet cleaner (preferably one without gross chemicals that could harm your hedgehog during later explorations) and/or a fleece blanket to put under the playpen (pee will still soak through single layer fleece). Don't want to have to explain hedgehog poop smears on the carpet to your suite mates!
zamxonk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2013, 10:56 AM   #16 (permalink)

good news! he started using the loft! super excited.

I had just a few other questions...
Whats the best brand of cat food to feed them? And how much should i be feeding him?

Also, He's losing a lot of quills lately...He was born in June (early june i believe) I'm not sure if this is him quilling or something to be concerned about. Any advice?
Thanks!
muziek713 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2013, 08:55 PM   #17 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Either way, that'd make him between probably 10-12 weeks. They quill at 6, 9, and 12 weeks, and for many hedgies, they can start early/late, or have all three just seem to run into each other so they quill for six straight weeks. I would guess he's just quilling.

For food, there's a few stickies in the Nutrition forum - https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forum...nutrition.html, https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forum...food-list.html, and https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forum...oods-list.html. The second one is more of a general list of ideas, but it's also pretty old, so some may have changed ingredients or analysis, so you'll want to double check. The third link has brands that have been popular among a lot of owners on the forum recently. As far as amount, I think that might be covered in the first sticky, but if not, usual amount is 2 tablespoons, but it's recommended to free feed - so try 2 tablespoons, if he eats it all, increase by half a tablespoon or so, and continue until he has a little left in the mornings. If he gains weight, the usual first approach is to lower the amount of fat in the food first before limiting food.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
new hedgie, new owner

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in