Hedgehog Central banner

water bowl is a foot bath

4K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  LizardGirl 
#1 ·
Harley has taken to giving himself footbaths in his water bowl. obviously this is making his water very poopy and unsuitable to drink. his water bowl is a small little heavy ceremic crock. he likes to put his front feet in, stand there for a minute and then continue walking through it. any ideas of how to make him stop doing this? i've been making my boyfriend change his water in the wee hours of the morning for the past few nights but we need a better solution!! help!!

#3 ·
Try two water bowls. He may use one to drink out of and one to walk in. My Pebbles used to use her food bowl for a potty and two bowls solved the problem. Otherwise, you can buy ceramic bowls that have like a hood on them that the animal can't get into to walk but can still put their head in to get a drink.

#6 ·
Yes, you can probably find them for dwarf hamsters/mice in the chinchilla/rodent section, they are for dust bathing. I have some handmade ones around here somewhere, I'll have to post a pic. (while I don't trust them with water, they are quite funny to see animals sitting inside...)

#7 ·
My bunch like to do this too! Well 3 of them do anyway.
They also like the wash their toy's in them. :roll: I told them if they would just wait till mommy wakes up I'll wash them FOR them. But they insist on doing it themselves. :?
I will have to pick up some extra bowl's when I'm out. Never thought of the hooded bowl's!

#10 ·
:lol: they probably DO understand me! lol
Their like YOU wash them?? I want them clean when I'M awake playing with them NOT whenever YOU decide to wake up!!!..

lol :lol: :lol:

#11 ·
Here's the bowl, hehehe. The ones you'd be looking for would be without teeth. :lol:

The gorgeous model is Waffle, one of my mice. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.