nail clipping - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2013, 11:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default nail clipping

I need some advice. I have two 9 week old male hedgehogs brothers and I am a first time hedgehog owner. I am having issues clipping their nails and need some suggestions. Oliver is blind in his right eye and is very friendly when I pick him up. When I try to clip his nails I can get a couple on both back get but then he gets mad and won't let me touch him anymore. Griffyn is very healthy and he does not like me to pick him up he balls up and hissing and pops at me. I unfortunately can't get any nails on him and he actually tried to eat the nail clipped tonight. He took them in his mouth and pulls them into ball up with him. What should I do? Help
kslavin12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2013, 11:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

Trimming nails is never easy. This might help https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forum...pedicures.html

Most hedgie won't cooperate though. When I need to trim Sonic's nails he tends to fight back too but after a while gives up and lets me get a few. It's fine if you only get 2 clipped. The next day try to get 2 more and so on until all the nails are done. I like to use the back to belly method to get the back feet (hold the hedgies back to your belly) and for the front feet I hold him in my hands on his back and firmly but gently hold his sides. His little feet will come out and I can get those. Best of luck to you.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

That... that is kinda hilariously awesome. Did he yell, "Oh no you don't!" as he did it?

For Oliver, you can probably spread the nail-clipping out over a few nights. Do what he lets you, try again the next night.

For Griffyn... some people have had luck clipping in the bath. I wake my friend up early to do his, when he's too sleepy to protest. Others distract their hedgehog with a treat or snack to clip nails.
Annie&Tibbers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 11:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

My girl does not care at all when I trim her nails, she's busy trying to go explore while I pin her against the wall and try to make her sit still. She doesn't like sitting still for the trimming, but does not mind the actual trimming of the nails.

I usually clip them immediately after I woke her up, since she's still "waking up" and won't try to get away right away. Maybe try that, while they're still tired and drowsy.
MochiAndMe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2013, 01:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thank you for the advice everyone. I didnt know if I could spread the nail clipping out with Oliver or if that would just be fighting a loosing game. I did try that and he is going much better with me cleaning and clipping his nails. He prefers after a bath. Unfortunately Griffyn is my little rebel. I tried to clip his nails in the bath and got the two back feet with no issues the front feet he was not happy about and bit me. I spoke to a local who once had an angry hedgie and she stated that she use to "Scruff" her angry baby. You grab them where the fur line meets the quills and pull up. I tried this but it seems just wrong and like I am hurting him. What are your thoughts on this scruffing method?
kslavin12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2013, 04:41 AM   #6 (permalink)

We generally do a bath and he out and onto my (towel covered) front in my arm and I do either front or back legs. Next time we do the opposite set. After a bath he's just happy to be out of the water and if me getting to take a paw and do things with it is the cost of being out of the water he seems to accept it.

Main thing to stop Churchill fussing so much for me was turning it into a pattern. Bath > Arm > nails > snuggle and dry. Every. Single. Time.
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in