Tommy: The indecisive shopper (cage advise) - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2013, 08:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tom

Default Tommy: The indecisive shopper (cage advise)

Hello! I'm wondering if any of you are even close to how indecisive I've been lately. So I ordered all my hedgie stuff (luckily I still have about four weeks til he/she gets here) and I'm about to return half of it.

I love Amazon but I'm pretty sure it hates me right about now with all my returns hah.

The cage I bought was fairly big (Guinea Pig Habitat Plus) but between the lid driving me insane, trying to get something for the bottom to make it easier to clean out, and everything else I've had enough. So my two returns relating to that are the cage itself and a piece of plexiglass that should have fit nicely in the bottom but didn't.

8.5" lamp, exchanging for a 10" one. The water bottle because water bowls are better. My flying saucer wheel because it's kind of wobbly and I don't like that colour :3 8 cubic FEET of aspen bedding (mainly in order to lower the price difference between the new cage I'll be getting hopefully and to just go with fleece)

Also being returned most likely (again to make the price difference between the new stuff minimal) a exercise bike that I bought because I thought I'd use it but it's just been sitting in a corner!

I shall wait until Isaac gets home (my fiance) and hopefully I can convince him that returning all this stuff is worth it. I usually get my way

With that being said! What cage should I buy?! (Don't suggest C&C please :P)
I want the cage to be around the same size as the one I'm returning (the only thing I'll miss about this cage is the divider but that'll just make cleaning harder)

Happy Home Small Animal Cage
Kaytee My First Rabbit Home Kaytee My First Rabbit Home
(Supposedly the newer version of Super Pet My First Home XL - it's a little skinner than I'd like but it is fairly cheap)
Marchioro Tommy 120 C This cage (along with the K model) is so hard to find online! If anyone can find this one or the K one (the one that I'm mainly interested in) for under $120 I'd be really happy!

So are any of these three good?

Old 08-07-2013, 09:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

They all look great. I have not used the Kaytee or the Happy Home, but have used the Super Pet which is basically the same. Although I love the Marchioro and have one, the thing I really like about the Super Pet style cage is that it very easily folds down flat. If you are traveling with hedgie, fold the cage up and take it with you. The Marchioro, does not fold easily and has these 8 little corner clips that can easily get lost if you decide to fold it to travel with.

Somewhere on here is a tutorial on how I made the whole front of the Super Pet cage flip up for easy access. It looks like the same thing could be done to the Kaytee or the Happy Home.

Yeah, get rid of the Guinea Pig Habitat. Flimsy and hard to clean.

I will never suggest a C&C. A proper, plastic bottomed wire topped cage is far superior than a C&C, IMO.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2013, 11:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have the SuperPet My First Home XL (basically the same as the Kaytee) and I like it. It looks almost identical the Happy Home, too.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tom

So I opted for the pricier Marchioro for a couple reasons:

1. I haven't seen any reviews on Happy Home (and I don't like the black bottom and whatever it is inside it). So I decided not to get that.

2. The Kaytee/SuperPet My First Pet Home XL is a little too small for what I want. I'm so used to having the Guinea Pig Habitat Plus (and that still seemed kind of small) I didn't want to lose about a half foot off of width and length.

3. The cage has my name in it :P

--
I did put in a return order for the bedding. Going to miss the smell but everyone recommends fleece so I'll do that. Hopefully I can find some place that sells fleece for fairly cheap (Walmart was kind of pricey- 10 bucks per yard)

How many fleece liners should I have? How many layers of fleece? Should there be an absorbent layer or anything under the fleece? I don't plan on washing them right when I take them off as I don't have a washer in my building so I have to pay at the laundry mat so I'd want to have a couple to wash or something I can wash with it (not clothes obviously) instead of having a really small load because then I'd just be spending the same, if not more as buying bedding.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tom

Also, what's a good price for fleece? (Good prices during sales maybe?)
Old 08-08-2013, 12:13 AM   #6 (permalink)

Good price is about $3.99 a yard at Joann. Normal price is $8.99. Their having a sale right now of $5.39 which isn't too bad either.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:27 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonics1AndOnlyGirl View Post
Good price is about $3.99 a yard at Joann. Normal price is $8.99. Their having a sale right now of $5.39 which isn't too bad either.
I know fleece is sold by the yard- do you know the average width of the fleece? Trying to figure out if I need to buy 1 yard per liner or 2. Cage is 4' x 2' about.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:36 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
I know fleece is sold by the yard- do you know the average width of the fleece? Trying to figure out if I need to buy 1 yard per liner or 2. Cage is 4' x 2' about.
Found the answer on yahoo "The dimensions for a yard of fabric is usually 44 inches wide by 36 inches long. The width can change according to the bolt size that you have"
Old 08-08-2013, 12:41 AM   #9 (permalink)

Try walmart too... some of the stores will have a craft section with fabric and it will be *much* cheaper than a fabric or craft store.

fleece is typically 40-44" wide, but may come in 50-52" wide or sometimes as much as 60", or rarely in 36" wide.
flannels more often come in the narrower widths (as opposed to fleece). you do have to read the end of the bolt to know for sure.

if you have a Hancock Fabrics or a Fabric Outlet near you, try them also, they have better prices than Jo-Ann's.

Denver Fabrics has a BIG on-line presence and excellent sale prices... and right now they're shipping free (for a week or so)... just know you may not be able to return things to them... check their policy on returning cut yardage.

I'd say you could just drive on over, but I think Denver Fabrics is based in St. Louis... http://www.denverfabrics.com
ZeeMartin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2013, 12:45 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonics1AndOnlyGirl View Post
Found the answer on yahoo "The dimensions for a yard of fabric is usually 44 inches wide by 36 inches long. The width can change according to the bolt size that you have"
this *totally* depends on the type of fabric, and the individual mill. having sewn thousands of items, I'd have to say there is no 'typical' that applies to yardage in general, although *may*be you could say what's typical for a specific type of fabric.

I bought fleece in 44" and 60" widths this weekend... and flannel in 36"...
ZeeMartin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
cage, indecisive

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in