Newbie here! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2009, 06:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Newbie here!

Hello there! I'm Alexis and I got my hedgie, Theodore, a week ago. I've been lurking on this forum and finally decided to join. x3 So, of course, i've some questions.

***Please note, I have used the search feature. So if I missed something, sorry. ^_^

1. Is there any certain cleaning solution I should use for the wheel? Right now when I do the weekly scrub down (I wipe it off each morning) I use Soft Soap and water. Is this okay for a hedgie? Or is there something better?

2. Our temperature isn't always constant, so I thought about buying a thermostat. However, all the petstores I went to didn't have them, but one did have a rheostat with no temperature number "settings" I guess you would say. It's a pain to be guessing the temperature, so I'm considering buying one from ebay or something. What kind of thermostats do you recommend?

3. I switched my bedding to fleece liners yesterday, and they work quite nicely. So, how do you clean them? I want them to be absorbent and comfortable, so if I do something wrong... yeah. So how do you clean them? Like, what detergent do you use if you put them in your washer? And what settings for washing? Do you air dry them? Or do you wand wash them?

4. Now, my hedgie's been exhibiting some strange behavior. Firstly, he pulses. Kind of like he's... slowly "humping" the air. What is this? Also, he licks his nose a lot. And he kind of "hiccups" as well. What is all this?

Sorry, I'm just full of questions. x_x
mammoths is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2009, 07:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Default Re: Newbie here!

Welcome to HHC! We love to see pics when you get a chance!

1. Many people use a half and half vinegar and water mix to clean their wheels. There's also a couple of people, including me, that use chlorhexidine solution. It's a disinfectant that is animal-safe and works very well. I believe you can order it online, or you might be able to find it in a store near you. I got the bottle I have from the breeder I bought my hedgehog from.

2. Many people keep at least one thermometer in their cage to keep track of the temp. You should keep it between 73 and 78 F. Most people prefer to use ceramic heat emitters to keep the temperature steady, others use space heaters. I use a space heater, so I can't help much with the thermostat/heat emitter issue. I know someone else will be able to, though.

3. I wash my liners with Tide Free, with is scentless and dyeless. I put the washer on small or medium load, depending on how big the load is, and use the warm wash, then cold rinse. I also put in a tiny bit of softener to keep them from getting really static-y.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2009, 08:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

1. Okay, I'll try that vinegar water thing sometime. ^_^

2. Yeah, I do have a digital thermometer and a 100w ceramic heat emitter over the cage. I'm just having a bit of trouble with keeping the temp constant. >_<

3. Oh, okay. I think we might have some of that around. Right now for our other laundry we have "Tide bleach alternative original scent" Would that be okay or should I go for the Tide Free Stuff?

And I did take some pictures, I just need to upload them. x)

Old 06-22-2009, 09:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

It's best to get something that's unscented, since their noses are so close to the liners when they're walking around, and their sense of smell is so much stronger than ours. It may smell nice to us, but then be overwhelming for the hedgie.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2009, 09:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

Ah, that's true. I didn't think of that. I'll probably be getting some Tide Free detergent.

Thanks for the help!
Old 06-22-2009, 11:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Breeders

I use Free&Clear ALL 2X ultra ..Free of perfumes&clear of dyes.
Welcome to HHC Thanks for joining
Old 06-23-2009, 07:43 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammoths
4. Now, my hedgie's been exhibiting some strange behavior. Firstly, he pulses. Kind of like he's... slowly "humping" the air. What is this? Also, he licks his nose a lot. And he kind of "hiccups" as well. What is all this?

Sylvie does this too. She doesn't seem to be angry, cranky or happy when she does it. Just kinda "settling in." I generally notice her do this when she's on my lap burrowing into her hat. It's normal.

Sylvie also dreams & squeaks very quietly. You might notice your guy do this too - it's pretty cute.
silvercat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2009, 01:39 PM   #8 (permalink)

Okay, I'll look into that too. And thanks for the welcome!

Alright, just wanted to know what was going on. And now that you mention that, I've heard/seen him do that once. And you're right, it is quite adorable.
Old 06-23-2009, 05:56 PM   #9 (permalink)

To add onto Silvercat...Just because you have a male, you may notice extra behavior as well, which can also appear as humping the air...

He's a bit young now, but he will have his "boy time" in the future. It's perfectly normal and nothing to worry about. ^_^
Immortalia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2009, 06:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

Ooh... okay. I think that may be it actually... once I picked him up (unknowingly) in the middle of whatever he was doing, and it felt a little... "different" there.

Thanks for clearing that up for me!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in