Boar or Sow? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2013, 05:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Boar or Sow?

Hello everyone! Adding up all of my readings, it doesn't seem like there is a largely noticeable deference between males and females. I am trying to chart out my plan for when I spill the idea to my mom In November/December. I am getting another Guinea pig in August, so:
1) I have to wait to ask to get another animal.
2) November/December is my birthday and then Christmas.

My main question is: What gender should I get? What are your personal experiences with each gender? Pros and cons are greatly appreciated!
YourSoJelly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2013, 05:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

They are the same!! Haha except I read boy play with themselves. I myself have a girl. I think its just what names you want :P

definitelydeven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2013, 08:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

There's not really any differences as far as temperament. Both sexescan be messy or clean, friendly or huffy, aggressive or nervous or calm, etc. The only difference is that males will masturbate - not all will, but most/many that I've heard of, and there's varying degrees of how discreet they'll be. If you're concerned about that at all, you may want to go with a girl, but I haven't seen a ton of hedgie owners with boys that are too upset over it. With healthy, obviously there's a few different things related to reproductive gear, like females have the possibility of getting uterine cancer and needing to be spayed. It's also easier for females to get UTIs. I haven't heard of testicular cancer or anything similar being much of an issue with hedgies, but I didn't have a boy either. With boys, you do have to watch & make sure they don't get anything caught in their penis, or get hairs wrapped around it - I remember at least one member whose hedgie had that happen.

It's really mostly little things. Personally, I'd just go by personality of the hedgie & see which one you "click" with the most rather than worrying too much about the sex.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 01:17 AM   #4 (permalink)

Ok! Thank you!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 07-26-2013, 02:04 AM   #5 (permalink)

Other than what's been mentioned, I'd add that if you're getting a rehome be very positive a female isn't pregnant. It's getting ridiculous how many female rehomes (and even babies from less than meticulous breeders) have been turning up pregnant. Another reason, as I'm sure you've heard, it's better to get a baby from a reputable breeder.
Gruff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2013, 02:37 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruff View Post
Other than what's been mentioned, I'd add that if you're getting a rehome be very positive a female isn't pregnant. It's getting ridiculous how many female rehomes (and even babies from less than meticulous breeders) have been turning up pregnant. Another reason, as I'm sure you've heard, it's better to get a baby from a reputable breeder.
I feel more comfortable with rescuing(I was raised like this) and I don't have the $150 to spend on a hedgie. Don't get me wrong, I have money for materials, food, and other stuff. I have a separate account special for vets and it's not touched for any other reason then vets. I also have a mini-fridge in my room, filled with veggies for my guinea pigs. I'd rather spend $20-$50 on a rescue, than $150 on a breeder babe. I have the money, I'd just rather rescue.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 07-26-2013, 03:11 AM   #7 (permalink)

Nothing wrong with getting a rescue but as sort of mentioned before, if you get a female.. assume it's pregnant and treat it as if it is. I don't remember how long it is until you're "in the clear" but I'm sure someone will stop by and tell you

Primrose became a part of my family on September 5th, 2012.

Ivy became a part of my family on May 1st, 2013.

Check out mine Prim's, and Ivy's Instagram http://instagram.com/julieanne1991/
JulieAnne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in