new hedgehog concerns, please read. - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2013, 12:03 AM   #1 (permalink)

Question new hedgehog concerns, please read.

So first of all I had to do an immediate switch to a different food, will this be okay I saw it eating it yesterday. Also I just found out today that your supposed to wait a few days before handling them, but I took it out of its cage last night ( I didnt touch it that much I just set it on my lap let it get use to me cause it was really late I had just got back from baby sitting.) Will this affect it badly? It seems pretty nervous so I'll just leave it lone for a couple of days now. And any handleing tips would be good. I've got everything else (for now.)
MalPal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2013, 12:32 AM   #2 (permalink)

Do not leave your hedgehog alone for a few days. That will only make the problem worse. I would suggest just having him/her sleep in your lap in the afternoon/evening while you're watching TV or on the computer.

As far as the food, the reason you don't switch them immediately isn't because the hedgie won't eat the new food. It's because once they eat it their tummies usually get upset.

Primrose became a part of my family on September 5th, 2012.

Ivy became a part of my family on May 1st, 2013.

Check out mine Prim's, and Ivy's Instagram http://instagram.com/julieanne1991/
JulieAnne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2013, 01:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Sudden switches can sometimes cause a hedgie to stop eating, if they don't like the new food. So that can be a danger of a sudden switch, since not eating usually necessitates syringe-feeding. But if she's eating it, that's one thing out of the way - but like JulieAnne said, she may get an upset stomach from the sudden change. You might see some green poops, but they should stop after a few days. You can give her some probiotics (Benebac or acidophilus) to help her GI system recover.

Do continue to handle her, too. It may take her a few weeks or months to fully settle in, but just continue to take her out each evening for at least half an hour and just let her get used to you. Hopefully she'll come around soon.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 01:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

K thanks! Her poops aren't green. Hopefully it's close enough to the breeders food. And I found several things that said to leave your hedgehog alone a few days on this site. Well it's 10:30 AM is that too late to handle it?
Old 07-21-2013, 01:27 PM   #5 (permalink)

also for future reference what do you syringe feed them?
Old 07-21-2013, 02:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

It's best to handle them in the evening or at night, since that's closer to when they're naturally awake and they won't mind it so much. You can get them out in the daytime, but make sure that they're not too upset by it, and let them sleep. The information about leaving them alone is old. Sometimes if they're extremely upset or anxious about the change, it can be a good idea to give them a few hours or the first evening to settle in, but it's not too big of an issue most of the time.

For syringe-feeding, there's a sticky in the nutrition section on soft foods, which can be used for syringe-feeding - https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forum...endations.html The easiest would be baby food, or grinding up kibble extra fine & mixing with water (or baby food). I'm going to be adding more to that sticky and making a sticky about syringe-feeding soon (possibly tonight), too.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2013, 02:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

K also I just tried to put a shirt with my scent in its cage but when I pick up the house it scooted over to the side so I couldn't put the house back down so I ha to move the house over pit the t-shirt in and it just stays where it got mad I'll fix it tonight when I take it out, but now I ha to move things around in my cage so it's all weird so the house would fit back in.

Tags
hedgehg concerns, hedgehog handleing, new hedgehog, new hedgie

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in