HAD to do an abrupt 100% feed change - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2013, 07:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default HAD to do an abrupt 100% feed change

I'm sure most of you know that Innova has been recalled. Well I came back from vacation to see this and the person who took care of my hedgie while we were gone ended up using all the Innova. Obviously had to change fees without getting her accustomed to it and now her tummy is all jacked up I believe. She's been on the new food Blue buffalo wilderness kitten for about a week and a half. She's been eating it well suprisingly as the other BB kinda she wouldn't touch. But now she has diarrhea and loose poops, you can see in her wheel where it looks like she was actually slipping so that tipped me off also the fact I can see a while poop in the bottom of cage that is "together" but you can tell it's loose. Should I try to give her the pumpkin to see if it will help her out? This is the first time I've noticed her poops this. Should I just let it be and let her body get use to the new food? How long should I let her go with the poops before I get worried? Her innova food was innova weight management adult. I went to the BB kitten food so she could get more fat as she has a runners body
Kpjenk21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2013, 09:31 AM   #2 (permalink)

She's also wasn't too active last night when I took her out and this morning her belly was kind of cold and it's 90 degrees in her cage. Sounds like she's sick, would that be an accurate assumption? She did eat some last night though so that has me leaning towards the fact it's the food upsetting her tummy rather than a sickness. If she would have NOT eaten at all I would be more worried as I've heard that one way to tell they are sick since they are good at hiding their symptoms

Last edited by Kpjenk21; 07-13-2013 at 09:38 AM.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I would schedule a vet visit instead, with the cool belly with warm temps. Hibernation attempts can be a signal that they're not feeling well, if there's no other reason for the attempt (like low temperature, sudden temp change, or not enough light). How long has she been having the diarrhea? It's possible that she could be dehydrated ir it's been too long.

I'm wondering if the diarrhea is completely related to the food change or not...sudden food switches can cause loose and/or green poops for a few days while their system deals with the change, but actual diarrhea sounds unusual to me. It could be something different, like an infection, that just had weird timing. Does the poop smell unusually bad or strong?

I could be wrong and she could still just be dealing with the food change, but the hibernation attempt makes me iffy. Hopefully some others will jump in, like Nancy.

(Also, I would try and get that cage temperature down - 90* is too hot. Hedgehogs deal better with too-warm temps than too-cool, but usually you still don't want it much hotter than 85* or so.)

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 12:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

Once the light came on the cage I looked again. It was a bit over dramatic for me to say diarreah, I can 100% say that it's loose poops but it doesn't look like it is in a watery or liquidy pile, just not as form as usual. It is the same color and doesn't smell unusually strong or different. When I first looked in this morning I mainly focused on the wheel and it looked like diarreah but it was just bc she was running through her loose poops. I'm thinking she's not feeling well bc of the food change bc she definitly got up and ran last night and ate. I will take your advice and cool the cage down a bit thought and jeep an eye in her belly temp. Thank you so much

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in