New hedgie mummy, questions questions questions!! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2013, 06:04 AM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation New hedgie mummy, questions questions questions!!

Hello all,

Im a new hedgie mummy, ive had my little bundle of loving spikes for 3 days now!
And i am loving every second.

My little snow is so cute, and settling in really well to her new home and family.
She is slightly older than what i planned to get (just under 6 months) but when i first held her i just fell i love and had to take her home!

But i do have a couple of questions if someone wouldnt mind helping me out...

I currently use wood shaving type bedding and then shreaded cloth bits for her bed area.
Ive seen a lot about fleece liners for cages, and i really like the sound of them.
As the wood shavings are rather smelly and very messy.
Does anyone out there use the fleeve liners and could give me some friendly advice??

Another little question, my little snow was a little huffy for the first two nights which is very understandable.
But last night (3rd night) she was wonderful!!! And even ended my having a little snooze in my hands. Which was the cutest thing EVER!
Buuuuuuut she seems to have a little habit of pooping on me, and weeing.
Now this would be completey normal, which is fine of course.
But i was wondering if this was something i could try and train her not to do or will she grow out of it??

Im sure i had more questions but my mind seems to have gone blank, Im sure ill remember later on.

thank you!! xx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2013, 07:53 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: New hedgie mummy, questions questions questions!!

Most people on this forum use fleece liners. It can be as simple as cutting a piece of fleece so that it's twice as big as your cage, folding it in half and putting it in there.

Young hedgehogs poop a lot. Most people tend to find a way to poop them before playing with them, for example putting them in a little tub or the sink on a damp piece of fleece so they can wash their feet and take care of their business before activity time.

My Carry Tube tutorial https://hedgehogcentral.com/forums/vi...st=0&sk=t&sd=a
alexvdl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2013, 07:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
Dee

Fleece liners are pretty much the best bedding (IMO) They aren't messy, they can't carry mites and they are just so convenient, because you can wash them and re-use them-so they end up costing less in the long run. Also they come in loads of designs and colours ^.^

Haha if your hedgie poops on you try not to put her down, because this will reinforce the behaviour of going toilet if she wants to be put down. My girl will need to go toilet immediately after waking up, so I just leave her down in a place where she can do her business where it'll be easy to clean-(she uses the same corner of the bathroom all the time) Then she doesnt need to go when she's playing on my lap ^.^
Also my other hedgie won't go toilet on people but he will try escape from me when he needs to go, so keep an eye on that as well.
Dee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2013, 02:11 AM   #4 (permalink)

i use fleece in the whole cage because it is just so easy to throw in the wash with Penelope makes a mess or it gets a little stinky from her little accidents. she is only a couple months old, so that is to be expected. In her potty pan under her wheel, i use paper towels. They are inexpensive, easy to clean up, and do not make a mess in the fleece area like shavings do.

about the accidents on you, i have heard that young hedgies go potty more than fully grown hedges. I usually wait until Penelope has been awake for a little bit then take her out so she has had time to do her business. Also, Penelope just loves to be in he bath tub and she loves going potty in the water as well. Of course, do not bathe your hedgie very often because they will get very dry skin and they will be more uncomfortable than what they already are from quilling. Once she has done her business after she has woken up, she is usually good to go for some play and cuddle time!

Hope this helps!
Brandi

[/url]

Jtymay92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in