My new Hedgie - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2013, 01:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy My new Hedgie

So i just got my little girl Lucy (11 months [she was used for breeding 1 litter]) last saturday, and she is by far the cutest little girl i have ever seen. She quickly has become attached to me (or at least i assume so due to the time it takes for her to unball). The only problem is that her eating has been slim to none. I have tried multiple things to get her to eat. I about a months supply of the food the breeder used, which the breeder said she thoroughly enjoyed. And I have given her a hard boiled egg, which she sniffed but ignored, and I've tried to give her freeze dried crickets and meal worms. All of which she could care less about. The only time i have been able to get her to eat were a few bites of kibble, which were when i was holding her or when she was out of her cage.
She does however have a small, slightly firm bump under her chin. The breeder ended up donating her to me due to the possible health risks. I have done a lot of research on it, and called a vet and have mostly concluded that it can just be a small irritation and usually goes away on its own. The breeder had only noticed this bump the day i came out to pick her up. I have done everything i can think of and have searched various sites to find answers. If you could let me know what i am doing wrong, or any tips that would be much appreciated!
Mrtcam77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2013, 04:54 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: My new Hedgie

I think I would take her in to get that lump looked at, actually. It seems a bit suspicious that her appetite has decreased that much since the bump was noticed. If she was eating regular amounts at the breeder (and I am hoping he would have told you if this wasn't the case) and not now, it may be giving her some difficulty. It may, of course, be that she is adjusting to her new home and quite often that is enough to put the appetite off. But, if this lump is under her chin it may be an indication of something going on with her mouth, jaw, something that is interfering with her ability to chew. Congrats on your new little girl and good luck!

Loving and somewhat obsessed hedgie mama to Miss Mildred, Grumpus Maximus, Fat Louis, Attila and dear little Edna <3
Ille is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2013, 05:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

Could you possibly get a picture of the bump? Sometimes the little bump under the chin is a normal thing. Piglet has one, too, and so do lots of others: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13137.

Although I agree that you should probably get her looked at for her decrease in appetite. Is she drinking water? If not, try syringe feeding her some moist kibble, as she could get dehydrated very quickly. I hope everything turns out ok!

Old 05-23-2013, 11:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

She does drink a lot, very regularly actually.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

That's a good sign. Maybe just try to continue hand-feeding her while she adjusts to her new home for a few more days. As for the bump, does it look like something that's swollen or growing, or is it more like a hard zit? If it's just a little zit-type thing, I think it's pretty common "beauty mark" for hedgies and wouldn't worry about it.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:50 AM   #6 (permalink)

These are the pictures i can get. she doesnt seem to be stressed about them, when i touch it she doesnt react differently. Its slightly firm. I would like to avoid the vet due to the large costs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0342.jpg (101.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0340.jpg (99.2 KB, 4 views)
Old 05-24-2013, 01:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

Hmm, that does look bigger than the usual hedgehog chin bump. It would be good to take her to the vet anyway just for her first wellness check-up, but I don't want to give any wrong advice, so hopefully one of the more experienced people here can give you some suggestions. I'd recommend posting the bump question on the Health boards because that way more breeders and hedgie-knowledgeable people will see it.

PS, she's adorable!
Old 05-24-2013, 03:57 PM   #8 (permalink)

Alrighty i will make a new post Thanks! shes my little girl, and everyday she becomes less and less shy so happy to have my own prickly friend!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in