Baby hedgie keeps pooping where he sleeps in his igloo? - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2013, 10:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Baby hedgie keeps pooping where he sleeps in his igloo?

My new baby always seems to like pooping in his little igloo where he sleeps and gets very messy. I heard they don't normally poop where they sleep but he is very fond of it resulting in lots of poopy boots. I still spot clean everyday and pick up the poop but I'm worried this isn't very hygienic. I've tried moving his poop to a corner so hopefully he'll choose there instead but no luck so far. Any ideas?

I’ve suffered from chronic depression for years now. When it got so bad I made a suicide plan I stopped and picked up Chai. He loves me unconditionally and without judgement. He wouldn't understand why I never saw him again. I realized it is my responsibility to show him his trust and love is safe in my heart. I can't give up yet.
Belie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2013, 04:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Baby hedgie keeps pooping where he sleeps in his igloo?

Hedgies really poop wherever they want. Very few are litter trained, most just go wherever! Some are picky about pooping in their igloo, but others just don't care! Maybe when he gets older he'll stop pooping in his igloo, there's a chance he could outgrow it?
Keep moving it in the corner, and he might start going there, but if he doesn't it's totally normal.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

Most adults only poop in their sleeping area if they are ill. Babies, especially when first in a new home, often will potty in their beds. Give him some time and he will most likely stop.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2013, 03:27 AM   #4 (permalink)

Pooping habits vary greatly among hedgehogs. My little boy is quite the gentleman and will only poop in one corner of the cage. My little girl on the other hand is a slob and will poop just about anywhere, including her cozy tent (sleeping area), her food, her wheel, and just about every surface of the cage. It really just depends on the hedgehog.
BowserAndPeach is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2013, 11:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy
Most adults only poop in their sleeping area if they are ill. Babies, especially when first in a new home, often will potty in their beds. Give him some time and he will most likely stop.
Okay good to know (: he's very good at only pooping in one corner on the paper towel but still likes to always go in his igloo lol.

I’ve suffered from chronic depression for years now. When it got so bad I made a suicide plan I stopped and picked up Chai. He loves me unconditionally and without judgement. He wouldn't understand why I never saw him again. I realized it is my responsibility to show him his trust and love is safe in my heart. I can't give up yet.
Belie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in