New Hedgie Help - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2013, 07:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New Hedgie Help

Hey everyone,I just got a new hedgehog about a week and a half ago. She's a little girl and I was told she was 8 weeks old when I got her. The care sheet I got with her only said that she was eating dry kitten food before, but it didn't specify what type or anything. I did a lot of research before I got her, so I grabbed a bag of Blue Buffalo cat food, a bag of hedgehog food, and some meal worms. I have no idea if my hedgehog is eating. I'm really starting to get concerned about it. I filled the bowl up with a mix of the dry cat food and the hedgehog food.. it seems to be going down, but I'm not sure if it's just because she stands on it and it's settling or if she's just knocking it around the cage or if she's actually eating. I've seen her sniff around it, but I've never actually seen her eat any of it. I've tried all kinds of different things to see if I could spark her interest in food.... I got Blue Buffalo wet cat food.. the turkey, chicken, and chicken and beef kinds, all of which she wont touch. I gave her a couple mealworms which she actually did eat... but that's the only food I've actually seen her take down. She drinks water like a champ, she has a ton of energy and she's always running on her wheel... I need some advice... Am I "new mom" freaking out? I know they're nocturnal animals and she likely eats in the middle of the night.. I'm just not happy with the amount of food that she's been eating if she's been eating any at all. I did try some fruit... she ate a little bit of strawberry and licked the blueberry but that's it. She ate a tiny piece of plain cooked egg that my husband threw in as well. What would you guys do at this point??
landrews is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2013, 07:12 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: New Hedgie Help

do you have a scale that weighs in grams? If so weigh her and then weigh her a few days later. or you can weigh her food before you put in her cage and then in the morning weigh it again to see if the weight changes to see if she is eating.
Sugargliderlove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2013, 07:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

You can also count the individual morsels of food too. Annoying, but you'll know if some go missing. You can also try baby food.

With Shadow, when we first brought him home, he didn't eat much while he was adjusting, but now he eats more than Cinna does.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

She should be given fresh food daily. As CinnasParents mentioned, count the kibble and count again the next evening when you replace it. A scale is great to tell if baby is gaining weight, but also to see any weight loss that can often be the first indicator or illness.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2013, 09:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yeah, I have to get a scale still.... and I just counted out new food for her so I will check on that tomorrow. I'll stop and get some baby food for her too. She just makes me nervous...I'm sure she's eating something with all the energy she's had, but not knowing for sure really bothers me.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

Is she pooping? This will also tell you if she is eating. What goes in must come out.

Lisa
momIImany is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2013, 05:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

so... long story short, took hedgeberta to the vet, the vet told us that she wasn't eating anything but mealworms because she was so young all she craved was protein. gave her a clean bill of health and we went on our way. then last night i got home from work and hedgeberta wasn't moving and was struggling to breathe. i rushed her to the vet but there was nothing they could do, so i had to put her down i went today and got the last female from her litter.. turns out she must have been the runt because her sisters and brothers are all double the size hedgeberta was. i guess she just wasn't healthy. i'm sad, but the new girl is settling in well, eating and drinking. hopefully this one makes it longer than 2 weeks...
Old 04-15-2013, 02:17 AM   #8 (permalink)

Oh my gosh that's terrible, I'm so sorry for your loss :'(

Glad to hear the new baby is eating and drinking well, what's her name?
Old 04-15-2013, 11:00 AM   #9 (permalink)

Oh the poor baby! I'm soo sorry for your loss. You can fall in love with them so quick. So terrible. But at least she had a caring owner who loved her until her last day. Now she can breathe easy in hedgie heaven.

Congrats on the new little one

Rest easy little girl, may you finally be at peace <3
Mommy will always love you sweetie
2/17/11-3/11/13
fionas_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2013, 01:07 PM   #10 (permalink)

I'm so sorry for your loss and your new baby. I hope everything works out well with the new girl. did you name her yet? Pictures.

Lisa
momIImany is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in