Omg Please Help Me I'm Scared - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2013, 04:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Omg Please Help Me I'm Scared

I was walking past SquishMittens cage and I seen him half in and half out his hide away and that's not normal so I got a closer look and he was shaking really bad so I picked him up and he was ice cold. So the first thing I did was put him under my shirt but he won't stay still he is weak but still moving and then I grabbed his little heater and was holding him in front it. He kept trying to get away from that as well but I just let him walk along my hands while keeping him in front it. He is slowly warming up.

WHAT ELSE CAN I DO?
IM SCARED
IS HE GOING TO DIE??
My boyfriend is leaving his college now to come home and check on him but I need to know what to do now!

Old 03-21-2013, 04:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Omg Please Help Me I'm Scared

Could a warm bath help?
Old 03-21-2013, 04:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to msredhead

Slowly warm him up, if you have a spare fleece to wrap him in to keep him near you, try that. Will he accept treats or anything? If he's moving around he could have just been getting chilly. I know Auri will splat half way into her igloo sometimes. If his belly was cold though, just try to slowly warm him up because doing it too quickly can be bad for them, too. Does he tube at all? I would always freak when Auri did this, but I gave her a tube and off she went walking around.

I'm sure a breeder will be around soon.

What was the temp of the cage reading? Between 73-76 is good, higher than 80 is bad, less than 72 is bad.

I wouldn't suggest putting him in water. When you take him out, it could just make him colder.

Old 03-21-2013, 05:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

DO NOT give him a bath, it will just chill him more. Put him in a blanket or bag and keep him under your shirt. Its the safest way to warm him up. What is the temperature in his cage?

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2013, 05:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

I don't know the exact temp because I haven't had a chance to find a thermometer for it. It was a little chilly in there though so I'm putting the heater in there for a while to warm it up fast. I'm planning on switching him from shavings to fleece bottom because the cage is glass so it gets cold quick if I'm not careful.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

If you pop him under your shirt you can sort of tuck your shirt in and keep your arms around him so even if he wanders, he is on your belly. I'd also turn the heat up in your house or that room until you figure out if there's an issue with his heating set up. What set up do you have? Could there be a draft?
Old 03-21-2013, 05:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

I have a ceramic small heater .. I live with people so the temp in the house isn't my call but I try and keep the room itself toasty for him
Old 03-21-2013, 05:22 PM   #8 (permalink)

I live with people too, but you can't let your hedgie die because people don't want a warm house. If they don't want to keep the whole house that warm, that's fine, but get a Ceramic Heat Emitter for his cage, as well as a thermostat to attach to it and a thermometer. You NEED to keep him warm, it's just part of owning a hedgie. If you're unable to do that, then be prepared for him to die, domestic hedgies are not capable of hibernating safely.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:25 PM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to msredhead

Do you know what your house temperature is set at by chance? That will give you a rough estimate of what the cage temp is. Have someone go buy you a digital thermometer at walmart or target or something (both should have them) and put it on the cage (I have mine at the igloo's height - where she is).

Let us know! Hoping the little one will be okay!
Old 03-21-2013, 05:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

Like everyone else is saying, definitely sounds like a hibernation attempt. Warm your baby up with your body heat.
For the future you'll need to ensure the cage is staying warm enough. Here is the best resource for how to do that: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4579

Also make sure he has enough light during the day, about 12 hours of light, not enough light can also trigger hibernation. And now that his body has attempted it once, he'll be more likely to try to hibernate again in the future.

Good luck and keep us posted! You and your quilly one are so lucky you caught him when you did, you may have found him dead otherwise
AngelaH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in