2 mo. and always sleeping. Advice? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2013, 12:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 2 mo. and always sleeping. Advice?

Hi everyone!
I'm a new HH mom to Sourdough and she just turned two months yesterday. I've had her for about a week now. She's always got enough food and water, running wheel with litter tray, pvc tube and a hello kitty fleece blanket in her hut with a small heating pad under it. I've read that she should be having 12 hours day/12 hours night and all, but my baby keeps sleeping... and I mean all the time I have to wake her up (usually around 11 pm) so I can play with her and see her outside her hut, but if I don't, she will probably sleep for a solid 20 hours. She COULD be waking up at maybe 1am-5am, I don't know, but when I am home after work, she is never out side her hut, walking around or anything in her cage.
I'm not sure if perhaps babies sleep for this long, and especially quilling babies who are getting adjusted to their new homes, but I'm quite worried My bf said it could be that she needs more heat besides the heating pad and we are thinking about going to get a larger heating mat or a heating lamp. Any suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated! thank you!
Wheems is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2013, 12:46 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: 2 mo. and always sleeping. Advice?

I know babies do sleep a lot, but I had two quick questions about your set up. Is the heating pad your only heat source? She needs a heating set up that will warm the air and a thermostat. If she's too cold, she won't come out. OOPS- I see you answered this! You'll want a space heater or a CHE in a ten inch CHE safe dome, hooked up to a thermostat. You'll also want a digital thermometer, since some thermostats aren't accurate.

Also, is she getting twelve hours of light and twelve hours of dark? The light keeps them from hibernating and the dark helps them feel safe to come out. If there's any light on at all, some hedgies won't come out.

You could scatter some flour on her wheel to see if she runs. Also, what kind of wheel is it?
Old 03-19-2013, 01:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yes, my heating pad is my only source... ack! I missed the space heater training in HH-training I'll order a space heater and a thermostat today. Thank you very much!

My room is pretty big and during night time, I occupy one side of the room and I only turn on lights in that one side. It's not pitch black over on her side, but she does get a little bit of the glow. I would say she's in darkness-darkness for about 8-9 hours. I sleep around 11 (complete darkness) and wake up at 7 (pretty dark but grey morning).

She won't eat the flour right? I've been pulling her out to run around a bit and wake her up and I've been trying to get her used to her wheel. She just stands on it without doing anything. She's slowly getting comfy getting off the wheel to get a feel for height I think. She much more prefers to be under and to the side of the wheel for some reason. I hope I attached the picture of the wheel and litter tray correctly... (I took the picture a few days ago when I just bought the bacon tray to be used as a litter tray). My bf made the wheel using a cake carrier cover. it spins perfectly when she takes her two steps on it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Running wheel.JPG (23.4 KB, 4 views)

Old 03-19-2013, 01:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

She's still getting used to her new home so that could be a reason she's not out as much. Babies sleep a lot but you do need a way to keep her warm. The air needs to be about 73-75 F If just her bed is warmed with the heat mat she won't want to leave it because the air outside her bed will be a lot colder. You probably have experienced this yourself. One heating option is a Ceramic heat emitter set up (CHE) which includes the CHE bulb, the lamp the bulb screws into, a thermostat to regulate the temperature and turn the bulb on and off and a digital thermometer so you can see what temperature it is. The other option is a space heater to heat the whole room, cheaper to buy but more expensive to run. I personally have always liked heating the whole room for my hedgehog so that I can have him out running around on the floor and not have to worry about him getting chilled. I might change my mind if I ever have to pay for utilities though.

RIP Quigley, I miss you my little grumpus.
hedgielover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2013, 01:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

My bf is helping me look for proper heating stuff for her cage as we speak My cage is pretty big so I think I might have to get two of them, but for those who have the CHE bulb and thermostat and all, how much does it affect your bill? Also, should I be worried at this point about her eating and not running and being fat? I'm nto sure when she'll adjust to running on her wheel.
Thanks so much for all your help!
Old 03-19-2013, 11:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

OMG I could have wrote this post. Only difference is I have a CHE for heat and her cage is between 74 and 76 but all she does is sleep. I work 4 night shifts then off 4 nights so I try to play with her a little bit before I come to work. Today I cleaned her cage out and she went right back in her hut when I was done. Not sure how to get her to play more and on her wheel. she NEVER gets on it. I am going to order a bucket one when I get paid this week.

Any help for me?

Dianna

Princess Helga Brave Heart Born Jan 22, 2013
darkwingdc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2013, 05:34 AM   #7 (permalink)

Keep in mind that a lot of hedgehogs will not run on their wheels if people are watching them or it's not pitch black.

My Carry Tube tutorial https://hedgehogcentral.com/forums/vi...st=0&sk=t&sd=a
alexvdl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2013, 02:16 PM   #8 (permalink)

Update on my Sourdough: After placing an order for the CHE and waiting for it to be shipped to me, I brought my small space heater out and it helped TONS. I heard her shuffling around at night, and when I woke up in the middle of the night because I thought she was shuffling through her litter tray again, it turned out that I caught her sitting on her wheel! She wasn't running of course, but she was on there, which is definitely progress!
She was much more playful and relaxed because the room was warmer. However, she still shyed away from light. When I placed her on the ground to play with me, she always ran to hide in the shadows under my table. I turn on the light and she freezes.

Anyways, this might be nit-picking, but since this is my first pet: do I have to worry about waking her up too often during the day time? I feel like I wake her up to play with me after I get off work, then I put her back into her cage and she sleeps for another few hours, then I wake her up again to play with me at night. I'm hoping that doesn't adversely affect her too bad?
Old 03-20-2013, 02:42 PM   #9 (permalink)

You shouldn't force her to be awake. Make sure she has somewhere to run and hide so she can sleep if she wants. Lots of people just let their hedgehog hide in a fleece blanket on their lap. As long as she could sleep if she wants then you are adversely affecting her by waking her up. Some hedgehogs prefer a regular schedule though so being consistent could help her keep regular sleep patterns.

RIP Quigley, I miss you my little grumpus.
hedgielover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2013, 06:04 PM   #10 (permalink)

Ok, will do. Thanks a lot, everyone, for your very helpful advice! Greatly appreciate it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in