Thinking about getting a Hedgie - questions! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2013, 10:53 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Thinking about getting a Hedgie - questions!

Good morning all. First post here. I am supposed to meet someone at noon today to look at the male hedgehog she has for sale. We emailed back and forth all day yesterday and she seems to be a loving owner but her husband is allergic. The hedgie is 7 months old.

I was all gung ho yesterday but after sleeping on it - I'm beginning to wonder if maybe I shouldn't. Part of it is the cost - she is asking $200 for him and his cage and some toys and food. The other part is I work full time and have 5 kids so my life is very busy. My youngest kids are three boys ages 5,4 and 2 and I know they would be so excited and would love him but they are used to our 12 year old white lab who lets them do anything to her.

So my question is - is $200 a good price and could I expect the little guy to be timid and scared in such a busy household? His owner said he does curl up in their laps while they watch TV and was raised around a dog so there's that.

Thanks.
JanetLW5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2013, 12:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Thinking about getting a Hedgie - questions!

Well, here it is 12pm, so I suppose you are looking at the hedgie now and will decide one way or another before you read this post. Please let us know what you decided to do!
I think $200 is a little steep for a rehome, but if they are throwing in all the supplies and you like the hedgie, then who cares really. You would certainly spend that much on him anyway, esp. w/ the cage etc.
I know what you mean about sleeping on something and then not being sure the next day. I think that it will be a bit difficult to get the new hedgie to bond with you all if you do not have adequate time to spend with him. Your boys are a bit young, but if they are gentle and kind then he could become used to them. It takes time though and the only thing I could see is young kids like that not having the patience...The older children though would probably be better at caring for hedgie.
Hedgehogs are nocturnal as you probably know, so you working all day is not really a problem, and the best time to take him out would frankly be right before you put the young kids to bed, and then he could have some quiet time with you and the older children later in the evening, like say from 8-10pm.
If there is a will there is a way, and whatever you decided to do today, I am sure you can get lots of help here on the forums!
-SusanH.
shmurciakova is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2013, 01:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

A hedgehog will be good for the kids. It will benefit them to learn how to care for different animals. They are old enough to learn that hedgehogs are different from dogs and you have to be gentle and hold them differently. I take my hedgehog to meet the kids I teach who range from 18 months to 3 years old and they love holding him in their lap and petting him they have no problem being gentle enough with him so I think your 2 year old will do just fine. As long as the hedgehog is mainly your responsibility and you are committed to teaching your kids to respect the hedgehog and be gentle with him then he will make a great pet for you. Even if you don't get this one keep it mind for the future. Also not all rehomes are grumps you could find yourself with a very loving little guy and if he's already been around dogs then you are good. Just keep in mind that your dog might not behave well with the hedgehog. I've had dogs react in fear and stay away from the hedgehog and I've had a dog that wanted to play with (or eat?) my hedgehog and she would really scare him and bark at him. Your lab might want to try and mother or herd the hedgehog and her caring nudges may not be appreciated by the hedgie.

RIP Quigley, I miss you my little grumpus.
hedgielover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 04:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have a 2 yr old and a 5 yr old and a boxer. My boxer almost killed her when I first got my hedgie. My kids are great around her albeit loud. She doesn't mind though..and she is not afraid of my dog at all. She tries to crawl on the dog after all that. As for time...they don't require a lot of time. She gets to come out twice a day when the kids are up for a short time and a longer time after the kids are asleep. I think the price is fair since the supplies are at least that much. But if you have doubts I probably wouldn't. They aren't for everyone and it seems mean to rejome later or ignore them because there's not enough time. But the kids adore her and I have to stop them from feeding her mealies all day long. I'm not worried about them hurting her because they are very aware of her quills.
kvmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2013, 05:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

Well, I didn't go. I knew if I did I would probably buy the little guy and since I was having mixed feelings, thought it best not to. I emailed the owner not too long after I posted and explained how I was feeling and wished her the best of luck in finding him a home. I never heard back so I guess she was upset. I will know when and if the time is right to add one to our family.

Thanks for the feedback.
JanetLW5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in