Not very wintery anymore - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2013, 07:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Not very wintery anymore

So the seasons are moving along, and its not winter anymore. Its spring time. Here where I live, spring can get very hot. It gets around 70 or 80 degrees outside at some point. So I don't have my AC connected yet, and I wont untill about may. So If it gets to hot in my house, how can I keep my hedgehog cool? Not as in almost hibernation cool. But not really hot? Or do I still have to keep her cage at 75 degrees?
alexkargar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2013, 09:48 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Not very wintery anymore

You still have to keep the cage at 75 that doesn't change when it gets warm out. Warmer temperatures may not be a problem but you won't know for sure until you observe your hedgehog in the heat. I've never had air conditioning and have never had a problem with summer heat and hedgehogs. It's only crazy hot here for a few days a year though the rest of the summer is warm but not too hot. Your spring sounds like our summer so you shouldn't have a problem if you don't turn on the air conditioning.

Edit: also if its really warm for a few days you can go outside! outside hedgehog adventures are fun.

RIP Quigley, I miss you my little grumpus.
hedgielover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2013, 10:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

You've got more margin with high temperatures than low temperatures. Hedgehogs (stipulating not all) tolerate heat pretty well and aestivation is not immediately dangerous, as hibernation can be. If your hedgie shows a behavior change from being too hot, you just need to dial it down. It's unlikely to be an emergency.

When the weather is that sweet spot in the spring and fall and the whole room is steady in the 70s 24/7, I take it while I can get it.

Sophie tolerates heat very well, showing no signs of distress or behavior change up through the high 80s. When it's time to fire up her AC, I set it for 78 - 80 degrees. I'm not looking to cool the room really, but control the heat and just keep things under control.

If the weather is reasonably moderate, I give her a bit lower temperature with the AC. If we get a blast of sustained heat, then I set the temperature up a bit to help with cooling costs. It can get to high 90s here for weeks at a time, with minimal nighttime drops so I do a lot of temperature monitoring and and keep an eye on costs.

If the temperature in the cage ticks up a bit during summer days, I don't really mind, because she is dug deep into a fleece burrow all day - not exactly looking for a cooler spot to sleep, and she's got empty tunnels to choose from also.

At night, her AC brings temps down during the time she is most active.

I'm always monitoring temperatures, but am a lot more precise when the weather is cold than when it is hot.
GoodandPlenty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 04:56 AM   #4 (permalink)

OT: But, why do you use two accounts?

My Carry Tube tutorial https://hedgehogcentral.com/forums/vi...st=0&sk=t&sd=a
alexvdl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2013, 08:55 AM   #5 (permalink)

OT: I wish the weather were more springlike where I live. We're getting pelted with another snow storm.

reedwoman814 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in