Extra heat - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2013, 05:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Extra heat

So I am getting my hedgehog in about 4-5 weeks and I already know what to buy, etc. My one problem is that I usually find my house 71-73 degrees Fahrenheit. So I thought I would just purchase a bulb that only emits heat so I can provide those extra 2-3 degrees that I need. I think there called ceramic something bulbs haha . But anyways then I remembered im using a huge sterelite container my local super target sells. The walls are high so I don't need the lid so its proper ventilation with enough room for my hedgehog. The problem is where will I put the lamp ( That only emits heat ) The container is going to be in one corner of my bedroom. Any suggestions to how I can set up the lamp? What I was thinking is using a desk lamp that I have since its a long arm and can be angled and just replacing the bulb in the desk lamp with the ceramic bulb that emits only heat. Would that work ? Or I am willing to take alternate suggestions on how to provide the extra few degrees of heat that I need. Thanks !
edifarnecio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2013, 06:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Extra heat

just wanted to to give word of warning: only put ceramic heat emitter bulbs into approved fixtures. This means a dome that can specifically handle CHEs. I definitely would not put a CHE in a desk lamp.

Katis228 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2013, 06:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

Do not use a desk lamp. You should be using a dome lamp. They can clip to the side of the cage or you can rig up something else.

Here is a good thread: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4579

USDA licensed breeder in Port Orchard, WA.
Volcano View Hedgehogs
moxieberry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 06:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katis228
just wanted to to give word of warning: only put ceramic heat emitter bulbs into approved fixtures. This means a dome that can specifically handle CHEs. I definitely would not put a CHE in a desk lamp.
Well thats good to know, thanks. Someone help me out ! >.<
Old 03-16-2013, 07:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

I bought an adjustable stand that is made specifically for the CHE dome. It allows for height to be changed and I find that I can change the temp in the cage depending on how far the dome is if that makes sense. It is over the center and I find it keeps the whole cage heated. I got my CHE/dome/stand from petsmart...and I know you can find all that stuff on amazon as well. Hope that helps!

Henry!
http://youtu.be/C_Xg6Zt3vDo
sklock65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2013, 07:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

I found that all my supplies were a lot cheaper getting them on amazon, and if you're over $25, on most items you can get free super saver shipping. I would definitely check it out. You'll want to look at lamps and bulbs for keeping reptile cages warm. Zoo Med is probably the most popular brand, but there's also Flukers. My CHE is Flukers but my lamp is Zoo Med. I would also recommend spending the extra $6 to get a digital thermometer for watching the temp in the cage.

reedwoman814 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2013, 08:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Don't forget you also need a thermostat to keep the temperature constant. Otherwise the cage temp with fluctuate with the room temp.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2013, 08:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki
Don't forget you also need a thermostat to keep the temperature constant. Otherwise the cage temp with fluctuate with the room temp.
Can you explain this thermostat to me. So I have the sterelite container. And I have the lamp that emits heat. Where do I put the thermostat and how does it work. How does it keep the temperature constant. Does it plug into the lamp and keep the temperature constant? Its confusing.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

The 150 or 100W CHE bulb screwed into the 10" deep dome lamp and a digital thermometer plug into the thermostat so you can regulate the temperature in the cage. You can either place the lamp on the top of the cage (wire shelving from Walmart works well if you don't have a top on the sterlite container), attach the lamp to the side using a clamp, or hang it from the ceiling with a chain.

Lisa
momIImany is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2013, 09:14 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by momIImany
The 150 or 100W CHE bulb screwed into the 10" deep dome lamp and a digital thermometer plug into the thermostat so you can regulate the temperature in the cage. You can either place the lamp on the top of the cage (wire shelving from Walmart works well if you don't have a top on the sterlite container), attach the lamp to the side using a clamp, or hang it from the ceiling with a chain.
Do you know where I can get the bulb, dome, thermostat and thermometer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in