Convincing - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2013, 02:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Convincing

My father basically said I can get a hedgehog next week if I give him something in return. I do not mean physically but something like education wise. He wants me to join a swim team so that im more active so I can tell him I am willing to join than. But what else can I give him that will make him want to get me this pet ? Any help is appreciated as long as its related to something that can benefit me educationally.
edifarnecio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2013, 02:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Convincing

Ah yes, the good ol' parental schoolwork bribe. First, please make sure you are totally prepared for the responsibility of caring for a hedgehog - a proper size cage, wheel, food, heat source, bedding, etc. It's not a decision that should be made just a week in advance if you don't know what to expect.

But if you're all set in that regard, it depends on what areas you have room for improvement, academically. What grade are you in? You could give your dad a heads up about an upcoming test and make a deal with him to get a certain grade. Of course, that may mean putting off getting a hedgie for a little bit.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbys
Ah yes, the good ol' parental schoolwork bribe. First, please make sure you are totally prepared for the responsibility of caring for a hedgehog - a proper size cage, wheel, food, heat source, bedding, etc. It's not a decision that should be made just a week in advance if you don't know what to expect.

But if you're all set in that regard, it depends on what areas you have room for improvement, academically. What grade are you in? You could give your dad a heads up about an upcoming test and make a deal with him to get a certain grade. Of course, that may mean putting off getting a hedgie for a little bit.
Oh dont worry I have been reading for about 3 weeks now. But im in 9th, in all honors classes. I usually do well on all my tests and I study every night. So im not sure what else I should do to convince him besides joining the swim team.

Old 03-15-2013, 02:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

swimming is always fun =) ive never been on a team or anything like that, is there any other clubs or something? what catches your eye most? what are some things your interested in that maybe your school has?
gallium is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2013, 03:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

Hmm... Join MENSA? :P

It sounds like you're already taking advantage of the advanced academics offered by your school, so I can't think of what else he expects you to do. Does he want you to do something in addition to joining the swim team, or would that one thing be enough? Sorry I can't help more. Maybe just ask him if he had any specific ideas in mind.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

Speaking of school... shouldn't you be in class right now?
Old 03-15-2013, 03:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbys
Speaking of school... shouldn't you be in class right now?
Haha I stayed home today Im sick But I think Im gong to talk to him about the swim team and I think Ill also tell him about joining extra curricular activities in school next year seeing as he always bugs me about joining them but I never do haha.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

Start a hedgehog club at school!
Old 03-15-2013, 04:25 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jholstein11
Start a hedgehog club at school!
I think that would kill me socially.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:47 PM   #10 (permalink)

If you're on top of things at school and doing your share for the household, I think a strong argument can be made that you shouldn't need to do something more. Over-scheduling, IMO, is not a good thing for kids. Your hedgie will need time from you everyday. Unless you have experience with other pets that require your time and attention, welcome to your first kid.

If you aren't very active physically, then the swim thing, if it appeals to you, might be a good move, at least for long enough to see if you like it.
.................................................. ...........

Quote:
"It's not a decision that should be made just a week in advance if you don't know what to expect."
I am sure that you do not underestimate research and preparedness, but be wary of giving it too much weight. I did lots of research, bought all of Sophie's stuff in advance, set it all up, and that was good enough to just hold me even. You think you're learning now - wait until you have your hedgie. The learning starts for real then. 'Fully prepared' should be the baseline starting point, because fully researched and prepared is a whole different thing than dealing with real life experience. Ha!
Erizo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in