CHE Set up - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2013, 05:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy CHE Set up

So I have a couple weeks before my Loki comes home and I have searched on how to set up the CHE but one question is still left unanswered for me. Since I will have the CHE suspended above his cage, how far above is the desired height? I don't want it so close that I heat him up too much, but I also don't want it too far above because I don't want him getting cold. Also I should note that the set up I am using for his cage is a 105 qt sterilite tub, and the CHE is going to be in a dome style lamp with a clamp. I appreciate the help. Thank you!
ctaylor529 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2013, 05:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: CHE Set up

I don't use the bin (we have a cage setup right now) but maybe my experience so far will help. We bought the stand for the CHE and it allows us to easily change the height of the dome from the cage. We just kept an eye on the temp in the cage the first few hours and made slight adjustments until we were satisfied with the resulting temp. It's nice because if we have a window open or the air on in the apartment we can simply adjust the CHE so that Henry doesn't feel a difference. Another suggestion...there is a long-standing thread on "cage setup discussions" that has lots of pictures people have attached so you may get a better idea of how others have theirs setup. I do think much of it will depend on the room temp your bin is in. Just be sure to always keep an eye on the temp in the cage...I'm in the habit of glancing at it throughout the day just to be safe (and if the CHE were to malfunction or something you will catch it before it's too late). Best of luck

Henry!
http://youtu.be/C_Xg6Zt3vDo
sklock65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2013, 05:38 AM   #3 (permalink)

Sklock~

I do appreciate the feedback. I have looked into the stands for the CHE setups and was unsure if that was something that would work, but I am thinking now that perhaps that is my route to go. I looked through the pictures of the other forum and while I thought they were all really cool (some people are downright creative!) I didn't really see anything that would answer my question. Most of the suspended setups I had seen all involved the C&C cages. I know that is the route I will eventually go, but I want to give this a shot first. Start simple and work up to the more complicated. I am still looking through the forum so I may stumble upon something. I just wanted to see if I could find any feedback as well. Thank you again!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 733916_321799691276683_587598389_n.jpg (117.1 KB, 4 views)
ctaylor529 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 02:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Since you should have a lid on the bin you can make a wire top and just set the CHE on it. The thermostat will keep the CHE from making the bin to hot.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2013, 03:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

I have my CHE hanging on a chain from the ceiling so I can adjust the height when needed. It's also easy, I just put it up high when I'm cleaning the cage.

Draenog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in