Hedgehog Central  Hedgehog pet care & owner forum

Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Questions (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Mildly disturbed by the issue of "boy time" (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20509)

reedwoman814 03-11-2013 08:50 PM

Mildly disturbed by the issue of "boy time"

So... I was reading West Coast Hedgehogs care guide... and came across the issue about boy hedgies and self-gratification and having to clean it out of their fur and fleece... Is this something that's going to happen a lot with a boy, or just sometimes? Is it a phase that they grow out of? For those of you with male hedgies, what are your thoughts on dealing with this? Is it no big deal? Do you rarely even notice it? I mean.. if there wasn't a mess to clean, I'd be less concerned. I was totally set on a male in the litter, but now I'm wondering if I should get a female. Am I being ridiculous?

Immortalia 03-11-2013 08:55 PM

Re: Mildly disturbed by the issue of "boy time"

A male is a male. It's part of their gene, it's part of who they are. Some will make messes often, and some will never make messes. My boy has always been a clean boy. While others have a specific toy or blankets that will always be covered. And some boys need their bellies cleaned often.

Christemo 03-11-2013 08:56 PM

It depends on the hedgehog. Some grow out of it, some don't. My first male did it within 30 seconds of sitting on my shoulder when he first came home and hasn't done it since. From what I read, it just needs a slightly longer soak period during baths to get it out.

If you don't want to deal with any of it, then I would suggest a female. It's one of those things that comes with hedgehogs.

nikki 03-11-2013 09:20 PM

With all the hedgies I've had I've never seen any of my boys having "boy time" I know it happens but never seen it. I have only had one that was messy. His hedgie bag would have "crusty" type spots in it but they always washed off.

reedwoman814 03-11-2013 09:24 PM

Thanks for your replies! Just trying to get all possible information before my final decision on who to bring home. :)

moxieberry 03-11-2013 11:08 PM

Most males will do it, though whether you see it (or find evidence later) or not is up to the hedgie. Males with a strong sex drive are the worst in terms of it being stuck in their belly fur though. Ask the breeder about the litter's father. :lol:

Jenice 03-13-2013 03:06 AM

We have a male hedgehog and have no issues. That is we have never seen him in action so to speak. I have only noticed his snuggle blanket a little crusty one time but that's it. I didn't even know hedgehogs did that or I probably would have thought twice about getting a male. But I'm telling you that it's not big deal and just nature! I love him to pieces!

jholstein11 03-13-2013 08:29 AM

Maybe I'm a bit weird but... I find the concept that hedgies have boy time fascinating. I think hedgies are so clever to be able to find pleasure. Not all animals can say that.

I was actually joking with my hubby about it last night. I mean, for boy hedgies sex isn't exactly the greatest. He's doing it with a spike ball. If that was my only option, i might stay home and have boy time in my snuggle sack too. :lol:

reedwoman814 03-13-2013 03:25 PM

ROFL That's so funny!

I did talk to the breeder and she said she has never noticed this type of behavior from the father at all. But he gets to mate, so we weren't sure if that's why it's not an issue with him. I think at this point, I'm still leaning toward getting which ever one that has the best personality match with me.

jholstein11 03-13-2013 03:59 PM

It is what it is. If you have any boys in your life of any species, they do stuff like that. We still love 'em. :lol: