Probably A REALLY Stupid Question - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2013, 12:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Probably A REALLY Stupid Question

I apologize ahead of time for sounding dumb, but I just want to make sure I have all of the right things for my hedgehog BEFORE I start putting down deposits and things. We have decided to do a Sterilite bin cage and I'm not one to be worried about plastics leaching and such but I just wanted to double check this. Do you HAVE to use Sterilite brand bins or can you use another brand like Rubbermaid/etc? Not that it's an issue either way I'm just having a hard time finding clear Sterilite bins that are big enough to support a hedgehog but I've found tons of rubbermaid ones. Also do you recommend clear bins or colored bins? Or does that even matter? Like I said I'm really sorry for the dumb questions but I want to make sure that when I put the deposit down I have my set up all built and taken care of. If someone has already asked this I apologize I couldn't find it anywhere. Thank you everyone!

Moxxi was born April 15, 2013 <3
JazzJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2013, 01:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Rescue

Default Re: Probably A REALLY Stupid Question

i don't think that is a stupid question. Sterilite is a brand, other companies make containers out of the same material (polypropylene and polyethylene). Other brands would use the same material or a different type of plastic. I can't think of any that would be harmful to a hedgehog. Does anyone know of any common used plastic material used as a storage container that is a big no-no? i personally never used any for a hedgehog but i do use them to house reptiles
jerseymike1126 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2013, 01:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

Sterilite is commonly used for reptile, fish and amphibian care because it is well trusted and tried with water habitats and heated habitats. Sterilite is sometimes recommended for its clearness, so that you can see through it well.

For a mammal like a hedgehog it shouldn't matter whether you use Rubbermaid or sterilite or any other plastic brand. Plastic isn't going to arbitrarily seep chemicals of a magnitude to have some effect on a hedgehogs short life, and sterilite doesn't after using it for 10+ years with very sensitive aquatics. So choose what you like, I'm not sure on the opacity for hogs. I choose opaque containers for my reptiles and frogs and clearer containers for my aquatics and newts just to control stress from light and reflections. My hogs seemed fine in clear sterilite bins.
eskye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 12:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thank you guys so much! I'm glad you didn't think it was a silly question, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't going to make my future baby sick or anything

Old 03-08-2013, 12:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

No problem! I'd prefer there to be a cataloged answer rather than have people wondering if plastic was safe or not.

It definitely is.
eskye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2013, 01:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Rescue

that is what these forums are for. some advice though, next time have a subject name that reflects the question...like it should be something like "are plastic containers safe"

many people will skip over subjects that are not very specific
jerseymike1126 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2013, 06:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

In regards to your "color" question... I don't think it matters. My bin is a dark khaki color, simply because that was the only color they had in a larger size at Target.

Primrose became a part of my family on September 5th, 2012.

Ivy became a part of my family on May 1st, 2013.

Check out mine Prim's, and Ivy's Instagram http://instagram.com/julieanne1991/
JulieAnne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2013, 06:22 PM   #8 (permalink)

Like the others said, I think it's just fine. We don't have the brand Sterilite here but people do keep pets in plastic containers (although it's not common for hedgehogs, it's more a reptile thing here).

Draenog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2013, 12:47 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks everyone. I'll be more specific in the future, I have been with my other posts I don't know why I wasn't this time haha. I also had another question about the plastic bins. I know they can be kind of small so we were going to try to link other bins to the first one (maybe one or two) to give the hedgehog more floorspace to run around. Am I right in thinking that I will need a heat setup for each bin? I mean the bins are going to be pretty close together but I want to make sure all areas of the cage are a constant temperature. I have two CHE setups I would just need another thermostat and digital thermometer for the additional bin we would be adding.

Old 03-09-2013, 02:27 PM   #10 (permalink)

Yep, it would be best to have a CHE for each tub. Linking multiple together is a great way to reach a good amount of floorspace! Keeps it interesting for them too. Most tubs on their own are a little on the small size (usable, but could be bigger) except for christmas tree tubs which are usually pretty decent.

LizardGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in