Controversial care issues? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2013, 09:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Controversial care issues?

I watched yet another barefoot versus shod and blanketed vs unblanketed debate unfold on a horse board, and I wondered if there were similar issues in hedgehog care. I'm not trying to start a debate or trouble, I swear, but since I've read lizard girl's book (which was great!), I would love to learn even more.

I can already guess one is if they need insects and if so, how many.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2013, 09:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Controversial care issues?

I know that there's a lot of debate between using waterbottles and using bowls. I think there's also a bit of debate with the different types of wood shavings for bedding. I'm not sure about the insect one you mentioned, but I'm not all that experienced, lol I hope this helped!
Amelia Rose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2013, 09:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

Insects are not necessary if you are feeding them correctly, but it is natural for them to hunt bugs in the wild. So it is up to the owner. And it dipends on how active your hedgie is. Some give 3-4 a week while others give 4-7 per night. All depends on the situations. I give Mimsy 3-4 mealworms a night but she is a wheeler. Hope this helps.

Lisa
momIImany is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 11:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Oh good lord, there's tons of these. Shavings/Carefresh vs. liners, Silent Spinners vs. Comfort Wheel/Flying Saucer/bucket wheels, water bottle vs. water bowl, run-around balls vs. don't ever use them, bugs are required vs. bugs are unnecessary, hedgehog food vs. cat food, heating pad vs. space heater/CHE set up, um....those are the ones that come to mind first. I'm sure I'm forgetting others.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 03:00 AM   #5 (permalink)

Ha! Anything that allows for opinion invites multiple (and often not quite compatible) views. This is true for most anything where subjectivity has a place.

This is a great place to get multiple viewpoints and the benefit of varied experiences for most questions. Once in a while things get badly derailed with - "I'm right. You're wrong. This is THE correct way." - and a whole bandwagon thing can get going also. Most of the time, though, you'll get a good mix of perspectives.

Insects are optional. Sophie LOVES her mealies and gets 20 a day. It's hard keeping weight on her, so she gets way more mealies than average. She likes crickets also, but they are a lot more trouble.

Yeah, water bottles versus water dishes is a biggie. I come down on the dish side, and so do most individual owners I think. On the other hand, I think that most breeders prefer bottles. Priorities of owners and breeders do not always align.

I skip over most of the debate on bedding materials. Fleece rocks.

Wheels are another biggie. Some are just not safe. I'm a believer in 'bigger is better' with wheels, and love the CSW for that reason (among others). That's another area where a lot of breeders have different opinions that owners. The CSW requires slightly more care to keep in tip-top conditions. This means nothing to the individual owner, but a lot of breeders use lesser wheels (lesser requiring definition, as it is likely to be viewed quite differently by breeders and owners) Many breeders 'need' the efficiency of being able to dump a whole batch in a wash tub. The needs, thus the priorities, are not the same for breeders and owners, so one should aware of where advice comes from (the whole issue of perspective).

There is no end to the choices for practically any hedgie topic.
Erizo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 02:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

On the plus side, the "barefood vs shod" debate would go something like this:
I love my hedgie's widdle footsies. They're all pink and cute and pudgy.
My hedgie ends up with poopboots every morning
Mine too, just wash it off
Okay

And the "blanketed vs unblanketed" debate would go something like this:
Should hedgies wear a blanket?
Not so much
Have you ever tried to get a hedgie to wear anything
Yeah, doesn't exactly work out
They don't really wear clothes, blankies... Maybe a hat, but that's more of a hidey place they go under than an article of clothing
:P No kidding, even when you give a hedgie a blankie, they'll tell you that you did it "wrong" and rearrange it themselves
Haha, okay
Marlee Twyla Hufflepuff -- Big little girl
smhufflepuff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 02:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by smhufflepuff
:P No kidding, even when you give a hedgie a blankie, they'll tell you that you did it "wrong" and rearrange it themselves
First off, completely accurate. Second thing, okay, someone HAS to write a "When You Give a Hedgehog a Blankie" book now. If I still had Lily I'd do a picture-storybook with this to go along with our 12 Days of Hedgie-mas...dang it!

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 03:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

Lol this made me think of all the sock and tutu pictures XD
Immortalia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 05:14 PM   #9 (permalink)

Kelsey, I remember Miss Lily's 12 days of Hedgiemas!!!!! Awwwwwww, Miss Lily!!!!!!
shetland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 04:17 PM   #10 (permalink)

I love the "When you give a hedgehog a blanket" book!!! Someone should do that!!!! I would but I don't think I'm that talented. Should make a forum of different things that would happen so anyone could contribute to the book (hmm ok maybe I'll look into doing it lol)!

Ok, so back to the OP's topic lol. I think there are debates on how to care for most animals ESPECIALLY ones that haven't been pets for very long. I think hedgies have only been kept as pets for around 20 years so there isn't a ton of conclusive data/research and things are constantly changing. Dogs/horses have been kept forever so there is pretty conclusive data, although there are still new developments in that as well.

Personally, I use fleece, a water bowl, cat food, I don't do insects although I do add veggies/chicken/scrambled eggs several times a week. I have a comfort wheel right now but am going to be buying a CSW this coming pay day.

I think it's important to remember when researching "proper care" for hedgies that there WILL be differing opinions but that's NOT because people are wrong/stupid/inexperienced or whatever (although sometimes they are lol). It's because there is varying data and everyone just wants the best for their babies. I usually stick with this forum and don't look anywhere else. People (and by people, I mean professionals) are pretty united on what is best for hedgies and a lot of them have been working for hedgehogs for over a decade.

Now, about that book.... lol

Primrose became a part of my family on September 5th, 2012.

Ivy became a part of my family on May 1st, 2013.

Check out mine Prim's, and Ivy's Instagram http://instagram.com/julieanne1991/
JulieAnne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in