Long eared Hedgies - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2013, 05:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Long eared Hedgies

I was looking at Long eared hedgies today...
I Live in western NY, are they legal there? I know they are rare, but are they legal to own?
If they are, is there any breeders near me? They seem super hard to find! (unless you live in the UK) and I think it would be awesome to own one!

Are they different than your normal white bellied hedgies (especially with their temperament)? I heard they are likely to bite more...but I can't find much info on them.

Thimble & Calypso forever <3
Hedgehogluvr386 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2013, 06:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Long eared Hedgies

I believe there's only one breeding pair in the US, or possibly none at all. If a breeder were to have them, it would be a large exotics breeder/importer, and you could expect to be charged well over $1000 because they're so rare here. They can't be imported from their native countries, because of a ban on importing hedgehogs and tenrecs from anywhere that has foot and mouth disease. The only way to get one would be to get it from a breeder in the UK or one of the other European countries that isn't subject to that ban. From what I understand, long eared hedgehogs are not very "tame" - they're very temperamental and difficult to handle compared to APHs or other hedgehog species that have more recently been taken from the wild. Desert hedgehogs look very similar, with the long ears, but are supposed to be more mild-mannered. As far as price and availability in the US, it's pretty much the same. I know of one UK breeder who recently acquired a breeding pair of desert hedgehogs - not sure what she charges, but the importation process and expense to bring one from the UK would be quite high. The expense would include a license for animal importation, the importation fees, the vet costs, and the shipping, not counting the hedgehog itself.

USDA licensed breeder in Port Orchard, WA.
Volcano View Hedgehogs
moxieberry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2013, 07:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yikes....

guess I will stick with my hedgie I have, and possibly add another white bellied. Thanks for the info!

Thimble & Calypso forever <3
Hedgehogluvr386 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 09:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with the term white bellied hedgehog. Is that another name for the African hedgies? Is there a good spot I can find the types of hedgehogs?
Old 02-16-2013, 10:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

The hedgies that we have are African. Some call them pygmy but they really aren't. They were a mix breed between the white belly and the four toed. They first came over here around 1994. I think they imported around 200 (if I am remembering well) and then stopped the importation of them. So all of our stock is from the original 200. Most responsible breeders try to breed out the WHS and bad temperments. The breeders know more about this than I do. I just read about it.

Lisa
momIImany is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2013, 11:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

If I remember right, the white-bellied and four-toed are the same thing, just different names? They're a mix between white-bellied/four-toed and algerian hedgehogs, along with possibly some other breeds. That's why there's two color patterns, white-bellied and algerian. Their color patterns are slightly different, and some hedgehogs have four back toes while others have five (all have five front toes), and the color pattern doesn't have to match the body type - so four-toed can have algerian color, five-toed can have white-bellied color. This is all just from some brief reading I did once too, so I might be off on some of what I'm remembering!

I wish I could get a long-eared or desert hedgehog too, even with the temperament. They're just so darn cute!

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 12:38 AM   #7 (permalink)

Lilysmommy covered it, except that there's no separation between color "types" anymore. That's where the color terms "Algerian" and "White Bellied" are from, though they're not really applicable now, and not used as much.

USDA licensed breeder in Port Orchard, WA.
Volcano View Hedgehogs
moxieberry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in